Overall Favourite Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

What is your favourite overall series?

Famous Five
21%
Secret Seven
No votes
... Of Adventure
28%
Secrets
No votes
Five Findouters
40%
Barney/R Mystery
6%
School
2%
Farm
No votes
Circus
No votes
Wishing-Chair / Faraway Tree
2%

Total votes: 81

Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Re: Overall Favourite Series

Post by Philip Mannering »

Jen-Jen, I quite envy you - reading the Adventure Series for the first time. This is one of Blyton's greatest series, in my opinion, and I do wish that I had some new books to read. (I'm getting tired of re-reading.)

Wish I do get that elusive copy of The Six Bad Boys - it will be a "new" Blyton for me.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Oooh - you lucky thing, Jen-Jen! Let us know how you get on with them.
hope189 wrote:Hope you enjoy reading them.
I'm looking forward to them immensely - hurry up postman!!!!! Will let you know how they go!!!

Philip Mannering wrote:Jen-Jen, I quite envy you - reading the Adventure Series for the first time. This is one of Blyton's greatest series, in my opinion, and I do wish that I had some new books to read. (I'm getting tired of re-reading.)
One of the great things about Enid Blyton is that she has written so many books that it seems like there is always something left to read - though of course the challenge is trying to find them!!! Though, I love re-reading the ones I have - i never get tired of them - i'm pretty sure I can even recite the first few chapters of some of them.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Definitely the Find Outers, even though the poll insists I voted for Famous Five - pah! :x
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

The Famous Five got me introduced to EB, so they get my vote. The Famous Five - overrated? Some books are not that brilliant, but I wouldn't call the series overrated. The reason why it is so popular is a question for another tread, though.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

I actually like St.Clare's but I didn't see it in the list.(I don't know if you meant it to be included in School.).I voted for Find-outers as it is my second fav EB book
Ria Ann
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I would have thought that School included all of Enid's series set in schools. :|
Society Member
elizabeth
Favourite book/series: Five findouters,Famousfive,St clares,MaloryTowers
Favourite character: Bets Pat Isabel Claudine Bobby Snubby June

Post by elizabeth »

I have not read ...of adventure series,secret,school,farm and circus.But from what I have read Five Findouters is my favourite book.
'What did you say?' said Mam'zelle who was not well up on american slang.'Did you say,"Hallo, bodies"?That is not correct,Claudine.You should say, "hallo,everybody." '
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

I like both St.Clare's and Malory Towers but I am not much of a fan of Naughtiest Girl.So,thought I will go with FFO itself. :D :D :D :D
Ria Ann
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The Secret Seven was my introduction to Enid but my favourite series is the Barney mysteries. The first four books have elements of mystery, comedy, fantasy and betrayal which culminate in the emotional finale on the beach at Rubadub. Barney's quest to find his father is the thread which links this set of books into a true series.
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

The Adventure series is the best written and The Five Find-Outers is by far the funniest.
db105

Post by db105 »

I could have voted for the famous five or the adventure series. The average level of the first four adventure books is better than the famous five, but I didn't find the rest of the series so good, and the number of famous five books helped them become like members of he family when I read them in my childhood. Besides, George is my favorite EB character. So I voted FF. Pity I couldn't vote also for the Adventure series.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I voted for the Five Find-Outers, although I also love the Adventure series, the R mysteries and the farm books.
Society Member
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

I agree with John that the Barney mystery series, is my favourite. The first four books are all consistently good, culminating in Enid's finest work, The Rubadub Mystery. The Secret Seven series would be a contender, in that the first seven books, were all good, but the series went seriously downhill after that.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I agree about the Secret Seven. I've always rated the early books in this series which had some very sinister villains and some atmospheric scenes in the dark of night. On The Trail and Go Ahead are adventures worthy of any series.
Society Member
S-Dog2001
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Bets, followed closely by Fatty!

Post by S-Dog2001 »

Another interesting idea would be: which series has the highest percentage of 'good' books?
Obviously what classifies a book as 'good' is highly subjective, but as an example, I believe most people agree that The Mystery of Banshee Towers isn't a particularly 'good' book.
Bets sat down suddenly because her knees began shaking.
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”