Your Top 3 Famous Five Books?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Your Top 3 Famous Five Books?

Post by Boatbuilder »

Even when in use, the tunnel vents would/should have been covered with gratings anyway.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Hannah wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 20:19 They probably didn't think of the vents after the train lines were closed.
I agree Hannah.

How apt this sentiment from Enid Blyton still is today:

Enid Blyton's reply to them all was that she took no note of critics over twelve years of age.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

One thing that did confound me as a child was why they would want to steal tea. But of course in 1948 tea was rationed, at 2 ounces a week, and the 'Black Market' the book refers to was the expression used at the time for the illegal trading of items like that which were still rationed.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Courtenay wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 18:42
Debbie wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 16:54 I always thought the use of the steam engines was much more about scaring the locals and keeping them away than the ease of transporting the goods.
... which has to work on the assumption that all the locals are gormless and superstitious and will be too terrified to investigate a "spook train" on the derelict railway at night, rather than being smart like the Famous Five and realising something must be "up" and going to investigate! :roll: It's just... really not the world's cleverest way to conduct a smuggling operation, even without the sheer impracticalities of running the steam engine.
I personally think that the gun running scheme in Sea of adventure is also absurd.
After the war and with the beginning of the cold war you should think that Great Britain checks its air territory carefully for unauthorised flights. Hiding guns on the ground of lagoon to fetch them later with a big sea plane...
But as a child I didn't care much about these details.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Sea of Adventure has idyllic islands, seabirds galore (including puffins), an assortment of boats, seaplanes, a storm and an enticing-sounding lagoon. With all that delumptiousness, I can readily forgive any slight anomalies!

Splodj wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 18:12One thing that did confound me as a child was why they would want to steal tea [in Five Go Off to Camp]. But of course in 1948 tea was rationed, at 2 ounces a week, and the 'Black Market' the book refers to was the expression used at the time for the illegal trading of items like that which were still rationed.
I find it frustrating that Enid Blyton doesn't tell us what goods are being smuggled in Five Go to Smuggler's Top. Nevertheless, it's still one of my favourite Famous Five books because of the glorious setting, the Gothic elements and the incredibly quirky characters.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:19 In reality, the track would have been lifted very soon after line-closure, the tunnel portals and the vents sealed.
Hmmm, I've seen a few disused railway lines — including here in Britain — where the tracks were still in place, even decades after the line closed. But I like Pete's reminder that Enid never took criticism from anyone over 12 years of age anyway... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Camp is one of my favourites, and when it was written in 1948 the majority of trains were steam, so it's not unusual for Enid to put a steam train in her books. Also a steam train was used as a Ghost Train in the B&W film, the Ghost Train with Arthur Askey. One of my favourite old films, so I guess Enid could have had the 'ghost train' idea, from this book.

Courtenay says -The amount of time it takes to start up a steam engine from cold would make it just about THE most impractical vehicle for transporting smuggled goods, especially over such a short distance. Not to mention that, unlike keeping the goods in farm trucks or sneaking them into the cargo of an ordinary daytime train, the spook train isn't exactly an unobtrusive and easily concealed means of transport!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :P

It wasn't about trying to keep the goods unobtrusive, it was more about wanting to scare folk to stay away from the disused railway, and what better way than spreading the rumour of a 'ghost train'.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I didn't read Five Go Off To Camp at the same time as most of the others in that part of the series, but came to it years later (along with Billycock Hill), so I was already in my teens and my reaction to it was different. At that stage I was more interested in the setting and the atmosphere than the plot, and I certainly found it one of the most atmospheric of the series with the isolated moorland/common and its odd goings-on - though the 'ghosts are bound to be crooks scaring the supposedly superstitious locals' was a bit of a cliche to me by then. (It reminded me of the storylines in the American cartoon series 'Scooby-Doo' with its fake ghosts and 'interfering kids' investigating them, which was on the TV in the early -mid 1970s when I was reading the book. Had the latter's writers been reading Enid??) As with the drug-smuggling that the Barnies' 'Guv'nor' was up to, the method used is ingenious but a lot of goods would have had to be smuggled to make a good profit , and the crooks would have had to get hold of an unwanted engine and trucks plus coal - Mr Barling at Smugglers Top was rather more businesslike and onto a simpler 'dodge'.

The highlights of the story for me were the character of Mr Luffy (it's a pity he wasn't used again, as he's a quirky individualist who lets the children get on with things but can come and help when he's needed ) and the bravery and cool-headedness of George (who didn't do much as an individual in the previous book, Caravan, where Dick was the star rescuer by getting the police). The atmosphere isn't as strong, and the plot is a lot less original, than my favourite of this part of the series, Smugglers Top. But it has its moments, and I suspect that the basic idea came from the 1937 hit comedy film 'Oh! Mr Porter' ( the title came from a popular music-hall song). This has veteran comic actor Will Hay as a bumbling station-master who is sent off in disgrace to look after a semi-deserted railway line and station near the N Ireland/ Republic of Ireland border where the locals tell him the place is haunted by a ghost train. The latter turns out to be a real one used by smugglers - but in this case by the IRA who are using the line to smuggle guns across the border into Northern Ireland. The film was still being shown on TV in the early 1970s when I saw it, and would have been well-known to audiences in the 1940s as a bit of light relief from the War and austerity. There were also already some deserted and closed rail lines in Dorset by the late 1940s to give Enid an idea, eg the (never open to the public) quarry line from Norden near Corfe Castle across Hartland Moor to Poole Harbour.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

timv wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:17 ...it has its moments, and I suspect that the basic idea came from the 1937 hit comedy film 'Oh! Mr Porter' ( the title came from a popular music-hall song). This has veteran comic actor Will Hay as a bumbling station-master who is sent off in disgrace to look after a semi-deserted railway line and station near the N Ireland/ Republic of Ireland border where the locals tell him the place is haunted by a ghost train. The latter turns out to be a real one used by smugglers - but in this case by the IRA who are using the line to smuggle guns across the border into Northern Ireland. The film was still being shown on TV in the early 1970s when I saw it, and would have been well-known to audiences in the 1940s as a bit of light relief from the War and austerity. There were also already some deserted and closed rail lines in Dorset by the late 1940s to give Enid an idea, eg the (never open to the public) quarry line from Norden near Corfe Castle across Hartland Moor to Poole Harbour.
I re-watch Oh Mr Porter quite a lot - as well as the equally enjoyable Will Hay film 'Ask A Policeman'. :D
Both films also co-star Graham Moffatt and Moore Marriott, and those three are a great comedy trio together.
I'm always reminded of Five Go Off To Camp when I watch Oh Mr Porter - and vice versa of course. Though, for some reason, I'd never really considered that Enid may have been inspired by the film. But, yeah, that makes sense. :)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I have enjoyed reading everyone's varied posts on this book/topic.

I must admit that when I read this book aged about 8 or 9 as Enid intended it to be enjoyed, I thought it was a marvellous read.

Great food, a superb setting that was so different from the preceding books, good old Mr Luffy who was a great sport, a sprinkling of mystery, late night investigations and a slimy baddie at the farm - what more could anyone ask.

My Nan bought me this book - I still have that well thumbed copy, so I have great affection for it.

With quality choo choo train illustrations like this from Betty Maxey, how could this book possibly fail to disappoint!

The wonderful Anne builds up her own head of steam..

Wooden Leg Sam - enough psychological material with his personality for a conference perhaps?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A great discussion. Five Go Off to Camp is a memorable book and it's interesting to see people's responses. Pete, I love that Betty Maxey cover with its dusky colours and the watchful faces of George and Timmy. It oozes suspense and it's one of the best ever depictions of George (by any artist) in my opinion.

timv wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:17...I was more interested in the setting and the atmosphere than the plot, and I certainly found it one of the most atmospheric of the series with the isolated moorland/common and its odd goings-on - though the 'ghosts are bound to be crooks scaring the supposedly superstitious locals' was a bit of a cliche to me by then. (It reminded me of the storylines in the American cartoon series 'Scooby-Doo' with its fake ghosts and 'interfering kids' investigating them, which was on the TV in the early -mid 1970s when I was reading the book. Had the latter's writers been reading Enid??) As with the drug-smuggling that the Barnies' 'Guv'nor' was up to, the method used is ingenious but a lot of goods would have had to be smuggled to make a good profit , and the crooks would have had to get hold of an unwanted engine and trucks plus coal...

The highlights of the story for me were the character of Mr Luffy (it's a pity he wasn't used again, as he's a quirky individualist who lets the children get on with things but can come and help when he's needed ) and the bravery and cool-headedness of George...

**SPOILER WARNING FOR FIVE GO OFF TO CAMP**

I read Five Go Off to Camp at the age of eight (in 1978) and my reaction was similar to yours, Tim. I was familiar with the convention of crooks scaring people away from the scene of their activities (yes, Scooby-Doo came to mind!) but the tunnel idea was so enjoyably ingenious that the impracticalities of the operation didn't occur to me. Steam trains seemed exciting compared to the streamlined blue cuboids with yellow trimmings which I'd travelled on, and I loved the thought of camping on the moors with days of freedom and exploration stretching ahead. My sister and I were very fond of the expression "spook trains" and would recite it with glee while re-enacting Five Go Off to Camp using our Hornby railway set (we had a tunnel and plastic figures - not to scale, but they'd do). I also agree about Mr. Luffy being appealingly quirky (and a good sport, as Pete said), and about the "George alone" episode being a highlight. An atmospheric and quite unsettling book.

As an adult, I can't help thinking how upsetting all this must be for Mrs. Andrews and I doubt Jock would really give "a happy sigh" and declare the adventure "smashing", knowing that his mother must be suffering. However, Enid Blyton confirms that Mrs. Andrews is in a position to keep the farm going and Mr. Luffy's words are reassuring: "I wouldn't worry overmuch, Mrs. Andrews. That husband of yours needs a lesson, you know. This will probably keep him going straight in future."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I should think there was as much chance of Mr Andrews going straight as Scrooge continuing to be nice.

Five Go Off To Camp is also significant for being the first Five book to contain a signature ...

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 15:26 Camp is one of my favourites, and when it was written in 1948 the majority of trains were steam, so it's not unusual for Enid to put a steam train in her books. Also a steam train was used as a Ghost Train in the B&W film, the Ghost Train with Arthur Askey. One of my favourite old films, so I guess Enid could have had the 'ghost train' idea, from this book.
Yes, the wonderful film's gun-running mode of transport would have been far more efficient using a lorry, rather than a steam train! Would have been a dull film, though.

As for track being left after closure, when a line closes it is normal practice to lift the track shortly after closure. There are exceptions and these are usually because the track is not worth recovering, or it is in such poor condition that the recovery train would run a risk of derailment. In this case it is all scrap and may be given to a contractor to lift.

If track is left in situ, this usually means the line is mothballed and they may wish to reuse it in the future. Many such lines exist throughout the country and can carry on being mothballed for years but will include maintenance of signals, etc. Marchwood is a good example, Weymouth Docks branch (not including the tramway). There are still a couple in Cornwall and Heathfield and Exeter City Basin in Devon.

These lines could still be re-commissioned but closed lines are very difficult to reopen and the Act of Parliament is surrendered, which is why it takes so long to reopen them. A mothballed line can be reopened anytime, but may appear closed or disused.
Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I like both camp and caravan but they don't rate in my top 3 or even top 5. My top 3 easily are : Smuggler's Top, Hike and Five get into Trouble. The mysterious and descriptive settings (all very different), the tightness of the plots and the cleverness of how they solve the mysteries are brilliant. Five Fall into Adventure is a close 4th but it is really Joe that saves the day rather than the famous five themselves. I have a fondness for the Mystery Moor and Five have a Wonderful Time but they are saved by Will and Joe and I prefer when they solve it themselves.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

My three favourite Famous Five books are Five Go To Mystery Moor, Five On Kirrin Island Again and Five Go To Smugglers Top.
I have noticed in Kirrin Island, that when they meet Martin, he is described as ‘sixteen, about Julian’s own age’. Julian was surely nowhere near sixteen.