Adventures with parents

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Fifibee

Adventures with parents

Post by Fifibee »

Does anyone know of any Enid Blyton stories/books where the parents are involved in the adventures rather than just the children?
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

Bill and Allie were involved in the Adventure series.........was it in River that they were both kidnapped? Maybe Bill isn't really 'family' for most of the books but Allie certainly is!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Uncle Quentin was certainly involved in some of them.
He played a main part in Five on Kirrin island again, and was also caught up in the adventure at Smuggler's Top.
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I'd completely forgotten about Quentin in Smugglers Top! *heads for bookshelf for a re-read*
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
annabeldaisy

Post by annabeldaisy »

that story totally humanised him!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Captain and Mrs Arnold played a part in The Secret Mountain. Otherwise most of the Adventure/Mystery books either got the parents out of the way very quickly or reduced them to occasionally doling out huge meals.

When I was a child though that was part of the appeal, no parents, just kids having a wonderful time doing exactly as they wished.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

annabeldaisy wrote:that story totally humanised him!
Completely. Up till then, and since, for that matter, I thought UQ was a selfish, thoughtless bore. However, he showed a lovely, compassionate side, deep in the catacombs of Castaway.

Another reason why Smuggler's Top is a super read.
Society Member
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: Adventures with Parents --> The Adventure Series

Post by RainbowJude »

jen wrote:Bill and Allie were involved in the Adventure series.........was it in River that they were both kidnapped? Maybe Bill isn't really 'family' for most of the books but Allie certainly is!
Yes! I wonder what happened to Bill and Allie when they were in Raya Uma's hands in The River of Adventure; those events might have earned Raya Uma some street cred in his role as villain, something which he is sorely lacking. They were also "got out of the way" long enough for Gussy to be kidnapped in The Circus of Adventure - which I guess constitutes as being involved in the adventure, even if only in a minor way. Otherwise, Allie is usually out of the picture, but Bill gets to be involved in some way or another pretty much throughout, though usually as some kind of deus ex machina. This sometimes works wonderfully (The Mountain of Adventure - what a thrilling entrance), but at other times it seems awfully contrived (The Castle of Adventure).

Later days
David
Seymour Glass

Re: Adventures with parents

Post by Seymour Glass »

Dimmy isn't a parent but she acted in loco parentis for Jack, Mike, Peggy and Nora (and later Paul) and she was involved to some degree in The Secret of Spiggy Holes.

It's been a while since I've read Moon Castle but I don't think she was directly involved in that adventure herself.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Sidney Freedman, character from M*A*S*H
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Seymour Glass wrote:Dimmy isn't a parent but she acted in loco parentis for Jack, Mike, Peggy and Nora (and later Paul) and she was involved to some degree in The Secret of Spiggy Holes.

It's been a while since I've read Moon Castle but I don't think she was directly involved in that adventure herself.
The involvement of Dimmy in 'Spiggy Holes' sort of gives a good example of why parent-type adults (I'm not including Bill of the Adventure books in this! :D ) just don't work in an adventure story. WHY didnt Dimmy just go to the police when she thought someone had been kidnapped? WHY did Dimmy let her wards get into danger? WHY, indeed, did Dimmy even believe that there really was a kidnapping?

When I read this book as a child I admittedly never questioned these things, but just recently I reread the book and stopped 3/4's of the way through because I just couldnt believe Dimmy's involvement. It didn't ring true at all. It works with Bill or ranni or Pilescue etc, because they are adventurous characters in often exotic surroundings, and HAVE to participate in the adventure in order to help the children survive, but in real life Dimmy would simply have told the police and left them to sort out the capture of the villains. that's why usually adults just don't work in children's adventure stories 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Not really adventure books but the adults seem to play a much more prominent role in the circus books.