Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by Bertie »

Interesting comments from both Barnard and Courtenay, and that highlight the difficulty for a who-dunnit writer.

As Barnard says, making the culprit seem definitely innocent can be a potential red herring for a twist (Pantomime Cat). But then, as Coutertay says, Disappearing Cat and Invisible Thief makes the most dislikeable character the guilty one which can also seem a bit too obvious. And I guess you could make the same point about Mr Hick in Burnt Cottage and Mrs Moon in Spiteful Letters (I was re-reading that recently, and Pip calling her a 'spiteful old tell-tale' on page 16 is a big clue - although I suppose they say similar about Miss Tittle later in the book).

I honestly can't remember if I guessed any of them or not as I apparently first listened to them when I was about 2 or 3 and my older brothers were being read to, so by the time I start remember reading all my favourite series myself I would have already known the endings.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

"The Mystery of the Invisible Thief" was the first FFO book that I read when I was about 8 years old and I had absolutely no idea who the thief was and was really puzzled by the criss-cross marks at the scene of the robberies! It is still one of my favourites, but perhaps had I first read it as an adult I might be less impressed.
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Although I think that most of the criminals in the Find-Outers series would be easily guessed by adults, I still think that it is Enid’s best series. I think that knowing the identity of the villains, which, of course, I do, after reading them so many times, doesn’t detract from the fun of the stories.
In my opinion, the only other series which is almost at the same level, is the Adventure series.
I have always wondered how Enid managed to write two such brilliant series at virtually the same time. The excitement of one series with the laughs of the other.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I fully agree with Barnard that the FFOs is Enid Blyton's best series and despite being in no doubt about the identity of the villains I still gain great pleasure from re-reading the books, as I never tire of the witty dialogues and amusing events. In fact it may well be that the characters and the depiction of Peterswood appeal to me more than the actual "who-done-it"/mystery aspect. The Adventure series is also brilliant, as are some of the stand-alone books and the Barney/R Mysteries.
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, FFO's is definitely my favourite series as well. It used to be joint with Famous Five but, over time, the wonderful humour in it, and the lovely Peterswood setting, has made it a clear #1 - with FF joining the Adventure series and Barney R's in joint second.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that the Find-Outers series is special. As far as Enid Blyton's mystery/adventure series are concerned, the Adventure series is my favourite because of the high excitement and danger, the complex plots, the stunning and varied locations, the touches of wistfulness and melancholy that so often creep in, the emphasis on bird-watching, the inclusion of different animals and the way the main characters meet and gradually grow closer, which makes for some emotional (though never overly sentimental) scenes at times. Jack in particular appeals to me as he's something of a dreamer, a loner and an adventurer - and I've always empathised with his longing to find a Great Auk.

The Find-Outers series is definitely my second favourite, however. It's full of humour, ingenuity and intrigue, and there's a strong sense of stepping into a village community populated with larger-than-life characters. I used to wish for a friend like Fatty as he's so full of fun and there would never be a dull moment (or a cake-free day!) with him around. The affectionate companionship between him and Bets is especially touching.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

I know I have said this before, several times, but I love it when Fatty and Bets are chatting together. It akways sounds so ‘real’.
I would have loved to have a Find-Outers story where Pip, Larry and Daisy are away somewhere for the first few chapters and it could be just Bets and Fatty having a lovely time together just talking or going for walks or bike rides together.
Lovely.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yes, it's a very interesting friendship between Fatty - the 'genius' of the group - and Bets, the 'Baby' of it. And very nicely described by Enid.

Personally I think she dedicates just about the right amount of time describing it, as I think another of the many strengths of the FFO's books is that EB gets the balance perfectly correct: they're shorter books than some series, and within that shorter length there's just the perfect amount of mystery, humour, friendship, home life, village life, etc.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's partly why Strange Bundle is one of my favourite Find-Outers books, Barnard. The opening chapters in which Bets visits Fatty during his convalescence are a joy to read.

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I read the books as child and I'm pretty sure that I didn't guess the culprits in Invisible Thief and Pantomime Cat and that I strongly suspected Tupping but couldn't see how he did it.

To pick a favourite is impossible for me.
Society Member
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

Totally agree about the opening to Strange Bundle, Anita. Absolutely gorgeous.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad you like those opening chapters too, Barnard.
Hannah wrote: 16 May 2023, 20:33I read the books as child and I'm pretty sure that I didn't guess the culprits in Invisible Thief and Pantomime Cat and that I strongly suspected Tupping but couldn't see how he did it.
Same here, Hannah.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

replying to Anita's comment re Strange Messages the other day, I think it was more the ending that was poor rather than the writing poor throughout. I found Ern sweeping the pots and pans scaring the burglars just not believable. And they didn't chase up Mrs Hicks who they found had posted the strange messages. But the actual mystery itself was a complex one than others.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The episode involving the pots and pans is weak, but there's so much else going on that it doesn't spoil the ending for me. After all, there are plenty of other far-fetched things throughout the series - e.g. Fatty's astonishing ability to disguise himself so well that even the other Find-Outers have trouble recognising him, Goon fleeing in terror at the sight of two Mr. Larkins in Tally-Ho Cottage, Goon's general gullibility, people being driven away by the sound of wailing in Banshee Towers (personally, I'd be keen to stay and investigate!), and Jenks actively encouraging the Find-Outers in their detecting on some occasions. These elements are somewhat unbelievable, but I'm willing to enter into the spirit of the books and accept a few improbabilities, oddities and exaggerations for the sake of enjoying the stories to the full.

Criminals/enemies are all too easily scared off/tricked in some of Enid Blyton's other books too, e.g. the searchers in The Secret Island who are spooked by the sound of a cow mooing in the caves, and the men in The Island of Adventure who hear Kiki calling out "Wipe your feet!" etc. and think it's the children yelling for help. Such implausibilities do tend to crop up in adventure/mystery stories now and then - not only in Enid Blyton but in Malcolm Saville, H. Rider Haggard, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, etc. Although they jar, they don't generally overshadow the story as a whole.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

You are right and adding to the list is when the guards ran away in the Circus of Adventure when they heard Kiki shouting. I remember thinking that was very weak too. But I think the ending with the pots and pans just seemed so ridiculous and Mrs Hick's misdemeanour going unpunished spoilt the story somewhat and therefore I rank it as a good story but not a very good story. Most of her stories are the end of series were a bit tired and jaded and partly as she was running out of ideas and partly as she had dementia and I think that was reflected in the latter stories one way or other. The rest of the series is brilliant though and I prefer the FFO to the Famous Five as there is so much more humour. I also love the character of Fatty. Wish I could have met him (and married him !!!) He would keep you entertained for the rest of your life. Is there a thread on who would you like to have married from EB characters? If not I might start one up now.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !