The most depressing Famous Five book?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Susie9598

Re: The most depressing Famous Five book?

Post by Susie9598 »

This is an interesting thread! In terms of atmosphere, it’s got to be Hike; all that rain at the beginning and then the black still water … quite shivery! And yes, it’s only a few days holiday whereas some of the summer adventures have that feeling of glorious endless summer days stretching out before them. But I don’t find it a depressing read. I found Camp really upsetting as a child, when the old man (wooden leg Sam??) gets tearful because he’s broken his glasses, and the sad description of his little hut. I still don’t like reading it.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: The most depressing Famous Five book?

Post by Bertie »

I agree about '...Hike', Susie. And, yeah, I also didn't like the fact that it was only a few days holiday rather than the weeks and weeks of holiday stretching before them as they usually have.

I'm surprised '... Camp' has popped up a few times. I always thought that's a very good book with some good humour in it with Mr Luffy and Jock, Anne's volcano, etc. I suppose Wooden Leg Sam is a bit of a sad and angry character, but I wouldn't have thought he'd be enough to make the book in any way depressing or downbeat. I think it's a really good book, and probably one of the funniest of the FF books (which aren't a patch, for humour, on the FFO!)