The most depressing Famous Five book?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The most depressing Famous Five book?

Post by pete9012S »

Daisy wrote: 18 May 2012, 15:11 When I first read Five on Kirrin Island Again, it was the last book. Imagine the delight when
Five Go off to Camp started being serialised in Sunny Stories!
Yes!
I can't think of a better antidote to the sadness of book six ending - another Famous Five book!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Moonraker wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 18:27 Correct, Wolfgang!
I know ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Agreed with you Boodi. 'Enid Blyton' and 'depressing' are words I could never put or even think of being in the same sentence. When I think of something as depressing Eastenders or another equal misery fest doom and gloom show comes to mind and none of Enid's books are anything like that! I am astounded that anyone whose read them can think the Famous Five are depressing :shock:.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Personally, I think the topic title using the words 'most depressing' is the wrong choice of words. Maybe using the words 'least appealing' instead would have been a more apt title for it. :?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I'm not sure that's the same but it probably depends on what you understand by "the most depressing book". The one you like least? One that has an atmosphere that's a bit "darker" than others (that's what I associated with the title)?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hannah wrote:I'm not sure that's the same but it probably depends on what you understand by "the most depressing book". The one you like least? One that has an atmosphere that's a bit "darker" than others (that's what I associated with the title)?
That is exactly the point that I was trying to make in my repky to Bertie, earlier!
Moonraker wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 16:47
Bertie wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 16:19 Well, yeah, maybe the word 'depressing' is the wrong choice in the title as the OP is pretty much just saying which FF book is their least favourite.
I took the word 'depressing' to refer to the reader's feelings after reading the book, not the actual story.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I took it to mean the book with the most sombre or downbeat atmosphere. I've never felt depressed after reading an FF book and I don't think any of them really are depressing in the way that a tragic play or story is depressing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

There's no such thing as a depressing Famous Five book, either through reading one or the atmosphere within. If there is one with a sombre theme, I've yet to read it.
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

The word 'depressing' does not exist in Enid blyton's vocabulary.No book of hers is depressing as you say.Enid Blyton is so vibrant with vibrant ideas -- blue skies, sunny hills, green woods etc-- They make you ecstactic -- ceratinly not depressed.Very surprising -- whoever used the word --depressing.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Boatbuilder wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 22:26 Personally, I think the topic title using the words 'most depressing' is the wrong choice of words. Maybe using the words 'least appealing' instead would have been a more apt title for it. :?
That's pretty much how I interpreted the thread, Boatbuilder.

It's a 16 year old thread and I see there's already been posts early in it as to whether 'depressing' is the correct term.

Personally, I used 'depressing' (in keeping with the title) to describe the gloomy / sombre / atmospheric settings in one or two of the books that I'm least fond of in the series. And there's also some animal scenes that I'm less fond of - such as the cruelty towards Pongo and Barker in 'Caravan', (S)Tinker's scared, sad life in 'Run Away Together', etc - that I could describe as 'depressing' in terms of being a bit downbeat or upsetting as an animal lover.

But, yeah, as others have pointed out about the thread title, there's no real 'depressing' Enid book. But there's certainly books or scenes that are the 'least appealing', or that are 'less enjoyable' than others, and that's how I was interpreting the thread.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think Stephen's original post on this thread sums up what he meant by 'depressing'. As he is the originator of this topic, maybe we should follow his reasoning.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes, I totally agree Nigel.
I re-read the original post from Stephen just the other day.
Stephen wrote: 27 Jan 2007, 19:22 What would you you say is the most depressing Famous Five book? We've just had a recent debate on Adventuring Again which involved everybody apparently being against George which I thought was rather upsetting. I also had issues with Kirrin Island Again which had George and Dick squabbling. On a more personal level, Down to the Sea was set in Cornwall where my grandparents lived - and I used to imagine how awful it would be if my grandmother suddenly exploded with rage and boxed my ears because I had accused my grandfather of being a wrecker! As far as I was concerned, little old ladies from Cornwall didn't behave like that!

There were some stories that I didn't find depressing even if they seemed that way. Run Away Together was instead hilariously funny, and Treasure Island, Caravan, Camp and Mystery Moor were more "sinisterly exciting" than actually depressing, as were the two where George was kidnapped - Fall into Adventure and Plenty of Fun.

Anyway, these are just my musings. What do you think?

Just for my own personal reasons, I avoided re-reading Mystery Moor again for many years as I could not take to Henrietta in any way. Yes, I found the book depressing.
I found Henrietta to be completely odious, and was aghast when the others chose her company over George's after tricking the boys.

It seemed so against the run of play to me, as usually, the Kirrins didn't seem to make friends that easily (unless Dick had punched them in the jaw first).

Now however, although I still intensely dislike Henrietta's character, the book is fresher than all the others to me as I have re-read it so few times.

ImageImage
Henrietta by ANY illustrator - Uugh!!! :roll:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Deleted.
Last edited by Bertie on 24 Jun 2023, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Hannah wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 23:18 I'm not sure that's the same but it probably depends on what you understand by "the most depressing book". The one you like least? One that has an atmosphere that's a bit "darker" than others (that's what I associated with the title)?
My view of depressing is something full of abject misery, relentlessly despondent and maudling and leaves the reader/watcher feeling thoroughly gloomy and low spirited afterwards. Never in a million years could that be used or thought of to describe the Famous Five. Gosh I feel bad just thinking of the two in the same train of thought :(.
Last edited by IceMaiden on 24 Jun 2023, 21:38, edited 3 times in total.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I think you have summed 'depressing' up nicely, IceMaiden.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member