The most depressing Famous Five book?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Stephen

The most depressing Famous Five book?

Post by Stephen »

What would you you say is the most depressing Famous Five book? We've just had a recent debate on Adventuring Again which involved everybody apparently being against George which I thought was rather upsetting. I also had issues with Kirrin Island Again which had George and Dick squabbling. On a more personal level, Down to the Sea was set in Cornwall where my grandparents lived - and I used to imagine how awful it would be if my grandmother suddenly exploded with rage and boxed my ears because I had accused my grandfather of being a wrecker! As far as I was concerned, little old ladies from Cornwall didn't behave like that!

There were some stories that I didn't find depressing even if they seemed that way. Run Away Together was instead hilariously funny, and Treasure Island, Caravan, Camp and Mystery Moor were more "sinisterly exciting" than actually depressing, as were the two where George was kidnapped - Fall into Adventure and Plenty of Fun.

Anyway, these are just my musings. What do you think?
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Oh, I HATED that ear boxing! I loathe that part of the book, though I otherwise enjoy it. But every time I get to that bit, I feel utterly cross. There are some things in Blyton that I can't let go, and that episode is just like Barney's grandmother - she can smile all she likes, but we've seen another aspect to her nature!

Mystery Moor is easily my least favourite Five. I find it bad-tempered and gloomy. I feel sorry for Anne, who seems to be the only un-stroppy one! And I worry about what happens next at Smuggler's Top, though the book itself doesn't depress me. Oh, yes, and any of the stories where the children are exposed to Quentin's "experiments", I worry that they've been exposed to radiation poisoning, lol!
Susie

Post by Susie »

The ear boxing was dreadful. I did not think I would come across that in a Blyton book. I got scared, I don't like to think of one of the characters that I like getting hurt. For no reason at all.
With all her other books, ie the books about elves and goblins, the characters deserved what was happening to them, but here he jumped to the wrong conclusion, and got the same punishment, which is not fair at all. As they were acting pretty strange, to top it off.
There is always something else new to learn.
Sooty
Favourite character: George

Post by Sooty »

I always found Together Again a bit sad because it's the last one, while Mystery To Solve has a wistful air about it. Sid and Binks having their livelihoods temporarily ruined in Five Go Down To the Sea was a bit of a downer too! :?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I don't think the books ever depress me, but the scenes that depict cruelty like Tiger Dan against Nobby and the treatment of Sniffer would be the unpleasant parts for me. However, they are just part of the story and have to be seen in context.
I have to feel sorry for Aggie in 'get into trouble', but this is one of my all time favourite Fives books!

I agree, the last book gives me a bit of a sad "it's all over" feeling. I'm glad that Kirrin island was featured in the story though.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Post by lizarfau »

Kitty wrote: There are some things in Blyton that I can't let go, and that episode is just like Barney's grandmother - she can smile all she likes, but we've seen another aspect to her nature!
What was the bad incident with Barney's grandmother, Kitty? I can't recall it.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

lizarfau wrote:
Kitty wrote: There are some things in Blyton that I can't let go, and that episode is just like Barney's grandmother - she can smile all she likes, but we've seen another aspect to her nature!
What was the bad incident with Barney's grandmother, Kitty? I can't recall it.
Gosh, I hope this link works - I'm awful at these things! It's just I knew I'd ranted about it before, and I can tend to get into my stride on the subject, so thought the concise version would be better!! Logically, I'm aware it's open to interpretation - but in my heart it's not, if you see what I mean!! Hope this works...

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ight=#4891
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Post by lizarfau »

Thanks for that, Kitty. The link worked fine. I'd completely forgotten all that - and you're right, the grandmother is horrible and Barney's father pathetic.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I was extremely bored with Five Go To Mystery Moor!

Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Ming, why did you find Mystery Moor boring? I thought it had great atmosphere, with the swirling fog enveloping the children and their worry at losing contact with the railway track. All very Gothic - and exciting!

PS The stories I found depressing are those that were just plain bad - and when I think of bad Famous Five stories, I always think of Five on a Secret Trail, my all-time worst Famous Five story. It's a very weak story - the girls seem completely devoid of any initiative while on the common, the twins riddle took way too long to unfold and the location of the briefcase (down a tunnel under the common???) is preposterous. In a biography of Enid Blyton it was said that she finished one of the Famous Five books in a very short timeframe to meet her contractual obligations, with time left over for golf. I like to think that Secret Trail is that book.
Last edited by booklover on 09 Mar 2007, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

A bit off topic I'm afraid booklover, but can you pick your PM up from the top of the page! You will see that you have 1 new message.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would agree with that about 'secret trail' - thought the five were supposed to be good at solving mysteries and they don't even see through the twins!

Also, I find 'Adventuring Again' a bit of a let down after 'treasure Island', though I wouldnt say its depressing.

As for the 'boxing the ears' episodes etc, I have always just looked on that as part of the story.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote:I would agree with that about 'secret trail' - thought the five were supposed to be good at solving mysteries and they don't even see through the twins!
I agree also about Secret Trail. Even in the 1978 Tv series that was one of the weakest episodes. I was never that fond of Billycock Hill either. I just found it boring compared to many of the others.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

lucky Star wrote:
I agree also about Secret Trail....I was never that fond of Billycock Hill either. I just found it boring compared to many of the others.
At the time of first reading it, I enjoyed it. I think it was Keith who made me think more deeply about it. It could have been so much better. The Five could have been trapped/imprisoned in the caves for example. It really all was a bit weak.

However, I did enjoy the butterfly farm scenario, but the bad son, old woman thing was lifted straight out of Hike, Fix, and goodness knows how many others.

And as some of you may know, I do dislike these immature children that appear in some titles. I wish Benny had lost himself on the caves, never to be found. :twisted:
Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I agree about Billycock Hill and Secret Trail not being the best FF books (although I would ever describe a FF book as depressing :shock: ).

The covers of both of my copies of the books (Armada paperbacks) have a bit of a washed out look - which pretty much sum up the contents. Oops sorry - that they were not up to the usual high standard. :wink:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.