What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Anjalli »

I finished Island and that scene that Stephen mentioned is quite horrifying. I could imagine them swimming around in that small area to go up to the top where they can use the ladder to climb up and out. The water was black and restless....I can imagine the terror of that situation.

Started Castle and it is so mysterious, perched on top of hill with no accessible road to it because of a landslide. Some parts were falling to bits and the castle could collapse if the road crumbled any more. How can you not want to know more?
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love Island and Castle, even though Valley and Sea are my favourites. I agree about the scene with the rising water in Island - it's unforgettable.

For me, the most shocking thing that Blyton's child characters ever do is swim through flooded tunnels where the water comes up to the roof - sometimes not knowing how long the tunnel goes on for, or whether it twists and turns, or whether there are any jutting out rocks or other hazards. Horrendous!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Getting along with Castle, those eagles were enormous with huge wing spans and their scream was imitated to perfection by Kiki, who was not afraid of them at all. Jack's hiding place inside the huge gorse bush was terrible, him being pricked if he didn't wrap up with a rug. It was the best place to get pictures of the eagles especially the young one. Very exciting about putting a board onto the castle widow area and the tree close by so they could get inside the castle. Tassie is a beautiful character, totally love her and little Button, so adorable. (That board idea I believed was used in The Boy Next Door).
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Ian

Post by Ian »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 11:36 I love Island and Castle, even though Valley and Sea are my favourites. I agree about the scene with the rising water in Island - it's unforgettable.

For me, the most shocking thing that Blyton's child characters ever do is swim through flooded tunnels where the water comes up to the roof - sometimes not knowing how long the tunnel goes on for, or whether it twists and turns, or whether there are any jutting out rocks or other hazards. Horrendous!
Climbing down a very deep well (Island of Adventure, Five on a Treasure Island) also seems incredibly dangerous.
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Well I finished Castle...the underground room with the suits of armour that Phillip hid in after they were discovered by the men. How uncomfortable that would have been, standing all the time although he did ate and drink when the men were off. Some drink were spilled down into the bottom of the armour, so miserable for him. Jack getting those awesome pictures of the eagles, it was worth getting pricked by the gorse bush whenever he went in snd out although he was wrapped up. Tassie climbing up the spring passage and nearly getting stuck, Jack going down it back to the cottage. Bill was there although Jack did not know it at first. Bill and his men getting into the underground room, getting some of the bad guys but the 2 they wanted, they got away. The awful storm that bought the castle down on top of them, luckily they were underground and were safe. Seeing the military place and the secrets the guys were after. And the bad guys actually having a serious accident and nearly died, so Bill did get them in the end. What adventures they have for sure, I think in this series the children faced more serious troubles than the other series, lots of guns and shooting but very spine tingling, nonetheless.
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Finished Valley....getting into the wrong plane and landing in this valley....how beautiful and serene it was, how the children managed to find a fabulous cave to stay in with the great fronds to hide it. The majestic waterfall, oh I can imagine feeling the spray when I got to that part😀. The cave of echoes that led them to behind the falls, the bad guys could not figured out how they got there. Meeting the poor prisoner Otto and found out the guys were after the war time treasures. Otto drew them the treasure map and they found it plus the old couple and their hen, they were the guardians of the fabulous treasures. Philip hiding in the men's plane and escaped, went to the police and told his story. Got Bill to come and him and his guys rounded up the bad guys. And don't forget busy dizzy Lizzie, so cute. I am enjoying the books immensely. Will start Mountain soon.
db105

Post by db105 »

Anjalli wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 12:51 Well I finished Castle...
This was the first book in the Adventure series I read as a child. I had read (and loved) the Famous Five, and tried the Secret Seven, but at that age I found them (the Secret Seven) too childish and unexciting compared with the Famous Five.

With Castle of Adventure, I remember the thrill at the idea of Jack hiding in the bush to get the pictures of the eagles. Really exciting story, and I was very happy to find a series that I enjoyed as much or more than the Famous Five. Afterwards I read Valley, which was also really thrilling.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Philip hiding in the crate, being in the railway station yard, bursting into the police station and then Bill arriving is probably my favourite 'escape' from all the books. Love those few pages!

I also like Fatty, Pip and Larry sleeping in the corner before getting into the back of the van in Hidden House, and Richard Thurlow Kent's escape in Five Get Into Trouble (though I'd have preferred that even more had it been one of the FF).

I'm trying to think of any more?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Anjalli wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 12:51I think in this series the children faced more serious troubles than the other series, lots of guns and shooting but very spine tingling, nonetheless.
Anjalli wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 13:01Finished Valley....getting into the wrong plane and landing in this valley....how beautiful and serene it was, how the children managed to find a fabulous cave to stay in with the great fronds to hide it. The majestic waterfall...

"Spine-tingling" and "majestic" sum up the Adventure series very well, Anjalli. The best of the books also involve a delicious feeling of melancholy and/or yearning, e.g. Jack's longing to find a Great Auk in Island, the gloomy castle looming over a landslide in the second book, the abandoned valley with its sad history in the third, and the mournful cries of the seabirds on the remote islands in Sea. The landscapes and emotions have haunted me ever since I first read the series, aged nine.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just reading and enjoying 'Five on Kirrin Island Again'. I'm just a little perplexed that Alf the fisherboy from the early books now seems to be called James!
Is this the last FF book where Kirrin Island plays a significant part in the story?
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Sadly, yes, as far as I can remember. Few books after that are set at Kirrin, and the ones that are (like both when George gets kidnapped) dont include it much. The only one I can remember featuring Kirrin Island as a major significance at any point is one of the last two that I never read anymore so can't really remember them too well.

Personally, I wish more of the last 15 had included Kirrin and Kirrin Island, but few do.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

In "Five are together again" Kirrin Island plays an important role. The showdown at the end is great. George at her best.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Reading single books like Chimney corner stories, Firesude tales etc-- makes grand reading
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Reading Mountain (although I should have read Sea), lovely in Wales at the farmhouse with Mrs. Mannering, the children and Bill. The beautiful sing song language and how Kiki copied it, so funny. The tall mountains and the steep path to get to them. Poor Mrs. Mannering getting her hand trapped in the door, had a small bone broken so she could not really go with the children to the Vale of Butterflies as was planned. They got donkeys from the shepherd's brother David and he went as a guide with them. Bill stayed with back to make sure things would go well with Mrs. Mannering. They had a lovely few days and one morning there was a mist, was difficult for them to see so they got lost. (Will continue later).
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Nair Snehalatha wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 09:49 Reading single books like Chimney corner stories, Firesude tales etc-- makes grand reading
These are lovely books, I read them ever so often, also Round the Clock Stories, Storytime Book, Tales of Toyland etc. Love them very much.