Andrew Maunder Interview, Australian Radio Programme

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Andrew Maunder Interview, Australian Radio Programme

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/n ... /102174922

Dr Andrew Maunder, author of Enid Blyton: A Literary Life, has been interviewed for Weekend Nightlife on Australia's ABC Radio (click on the above link to hear the interview). The programme has the title The Lasting Legacy of Enid Blyton but much of it is devoted to her life, though her work is examined too. Predictably, the focus is on the Famous Five and other already much-debated series. It would be refreshing to have some of her lesser-known work highlighted, including the Six Cousins, Adventurous Four and Barney books - not to mention brilliant one-off novels such as The Six Bad Boys and The Family at Red-Roofs - but as those titles are currently out of print I suppose they're not likely to feature in discussions!

I agree with Andrew Maunder that the books offer an escape into adventure for children who live largely rule-bound lives and I'm glad he's against the texts being revised as they constitute "part of the historical record."

At one point he states that "Blyton, I think, was a racist, by any standard, in a way," and I must say I take issue with that. The reasons Andrew Maunder gives for his claim are a) that she wrote about golliwogs, and b) that some of her stories involve black pets named what he terms "the N word." Since that name was in common use for cats and dogs at the time, and even for shades of paint and stockings (simply denoting the colour black rather than anything derogatory), and gollies were popular and much-loved nursery toys, I find it incredible that Enid Blyton should be branded "a racist" on those grounds! Why is there no mention of her positive (albeit slightly stereotyped) portrayals of black characters like Mafumu in The Secret Mountain and Boobanti in The Mystery of the Strange Bundle, or the black Americans in The Queen Elizabeth Family?

Andrew Maunder talks of how Enid Blyton used letters and editorials in various magazines (he cites Sunny Stories and Enid Blyton's Magazine but not The Teachers World) to "bond" with young readers around the world and become like an "auntie" to them, "establishing a kind of global village." I'd argue that it's in those letters and editorials that we see her true attitude towards people of different races and cultures - she gives a warm welcome to children from all over the world and embraces them as members of her "family" of readers. In Enid Blyton's Magazine she asks readers to help her raise money (on a regular basis) for a children's home which catered for youngsters of all races. In fact, she was on the committee of that children's home from 1948 - 1967. Definitely not the actions of "a racist"!

I enjoyed reading Andrew Maunder's book, Enid Blyton: A Literary Life, and recall that it included analyses of one or two lesser-known titles. I realise that the radio station will have been keen to cover particular topics but it's a pity that the interview didn't follow the book down some of the less-trodden paths.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Andrew Maunder Interview, Australian Radio Programme

Post by Daisy »

I listened to it as Michael (M.J.E.) had told me it was going to be on and he gave me the link. I do agree with much you have said, Anita. I felt pleased that Enid was being discussed on a popular radio programme on the other side of the world.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

There is not a lot I could add to what you've said, Anita, but here goes. No matter how experienced you are, a person tends to be thinking on his or her feet when being interviewed and after the event realises that some things could have been dealt with better.
I think the word 'racist' is starting to become meaningless when a writer of fiction, and a writer who is frequently writing about soft toys and imaginary creatures, often not even humans, is accused of racism on the basis of their subject matter e.g. gollies attack a wooden ornament, toys turn against a black doll, a black man is a criminal in a novel for teenagers etc. In this case Enid Blyton was widely read throughout the world by children who considered her better than Father Christmas, who at the time was depicted often enough with a golly tucked into his sack. It's been pointed out that Enid Blyton herself would have been the first to remove anything her readers considered offensive, and it is understandable that current editions do so, even to the detriment of the work. Societies have changed, perceptions have changed.
I should have started this with a disclaimer. Mid last century my grandmother crafted for me from sewing off-cuts a couple of gollies stuffed with old socks. I kept these much loved soft toys into adolescence when I had to throw them out because the moths got to them.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, you're right that giving an interview of this sort isn't easy, Judith. An immediate answer is required to each question - and of course there's very little opportunity to steer things in a particular direction. Andrew Maunder did well to highlight the fact that Enid Blyton established a strong relationship with her worldwide audience through her magazines, to the point where youngsters felt they knew her personally. This started in the 1920s in The Teachers World (not her own magazine/paper, but she had regular columns) and continued in Sunny Stories and then Enid Blyton's Magazine right up until 1959, and I think the bond with her readers that she forged through those magazines/periodicals played a pivotal role in her success.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Earlier today (29/11) there was another successful interview this time on ABC Radio Adelaide. David Bevan interviewed Andrew Maunder for his weekly 'Invitation to Brunch' segment in which biographers get the chance to tell the listeners about their choice of guests. (Last week Cassius Clay was invited.) I thought David Bevan's questions were sensible ones and Andrew handled the inevitable question about racism very well (and even, Anita, this time got in a plug for the Six Cousins and Five Bad Boys). It was so refreshing to hear Enid Blyton discussed as a successful business woman whose private life was at times as difficult as many private lives are but who came across as sane, good and not at all dangerous to know.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sounds good, Judith! I'm glad Andrew Maunder mentioned the Six Cousins books and The Six Bad Boys. Gems like that may be out of print but they mustn't be forgotten.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I also listened to the David Bevan & Andrew Maunder interview and was very impressed.
I assume David Bevan was an Enid Blyton reader when he was young because he spoke with such fondness of her work.
He is an interviewer who can be very strong in his views and it was great to hear his positive comments and questioning.

The discussion when David asked why/how Enid took this path was great, talking about her teaching and understanding what children wanted was particularly good.

It's very rare for such an interview to not just want sensationalism. One interview I heard sometime ago the interviewer only wanted the nonsense, cause that get's noticed, kept talking over the 'nice' stuff and just kept pushing the nonsense questions.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Judith Crabb wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 23:09
I think the word 'racist' is starting to become meaningless
I realised the word was being abused when I was accused of racism for saying that Scotsmen eat haggis on Burn's Night. :roll:

I've decided that if/when I'm accused again, to own it. I'd rather be a racist than a fat-head...
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017