Enid's Quasquicentennial Anniversary

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Enid's Quasquicentennial Anniversary

Post by John Pickup »

Eddie is our grammatical giant, Pete, and I find it amazing that he hasn't featured in any past Honours list.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We are indeed very fortunate to have two great scholars of the English literature amongst us. I raise a glass to Eddie and John.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'd forgotten about Enid's birthday, sorry Enid, and a belated very happy birthday.

Yes, our Eddie is indeed the best scholar, along with our Daisy, and of course, we can't forget John. :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Oops! How could I forget our Daisy! :oops:

Smack on wrist - or anther sensitive part of my anatomy if Daisy has anything to do with it!! :wink: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

However it's pronounced It is, as Moonraker said, an amazing achievement that she is still being read today 125 years after her birth and 54 years after her death.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Happy belated 125th* Birthday to the greatest author to have ever lived. Never could, should or will be bettered. A world without Enid Blyton doesn't bear thinking about, it would be like a world with no daylight and permanent winter.

*I can't say that long word even silently! Is it 'qwas-quiz-centennial'? :P
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 14:10 Happy belated 125th* Birthday to the greatest author to have ever lived. Never could, should or will be bettered. A world without Enid Blyton doesn't bear thinking about, it would be like a world with no daylight and permanent winter.
"Always winter and never Christmas; think of that!" :shock: (I know, I know, wrong author :P )

Enid Blyton is the first author I remember reading anything by once I'd progressed past the picture-books-with-a-few-words-per-page stage — both my parents grew up with her books (in the 1950s) and still collected them, so my sister and I read them constantly, and some of my happiest early memories are of being thrilled by the adventures up the Faraway Tree and in the Wishing-Chair, soon followed by the Famous Five and the Five Find-Outers and so many more. Oh yes, and Noddy, who's been part of my life for so long that I can't remember when we were first introduced. :wink:

I'm pretty sure most of us here can also say we wouldn't be who we are today without Enid's influence — may her fame and popularity last for another 125 years and more!!! :D :D :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 10:11 Yes, our Eddie is indeed the best scholar, along with our Daisy, and of course, we can't forget John...

A little acorn tells me that our King Of Linguistics, 'Steady Eddie 'T' Bone Muir' has now been privately awarded his grammatical plaudits.

Eddie was as usual, extremely humble and modest about receiving this long overdue award, saying; "It's about bl**dy time!"

Mr John Pickup, also another debonair and extremely humble guy deflected his plaudits (sounds painful) and eruditely stated when pushed for a comment; "I owe it all to a lifetime of avidly watching the BBC.."

John & Eddie after receiving their plaudits
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Brilliant!
Society Member