Gillian and Imogen - vastly different accounts of Enid

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Silky moon
Favourite book/series: Five Go Off In A Caravan
Favourite character: Moon Face

Gillian and Imogen - vastly different accounts of Enid

Post by Silky moon »

I haven’t read Imogen Smallwood’s book about her mother, but by all accounts they had a very troubled relationship. On the other hand Gillan paints a totally different picture of Enid and appears to have had much happier memories and spent a lot of time trying to salvage her mother’s reputation. I believe the sisters were estranged.

It’s very hard to know whose account is more accurate - was Imogen cashing in or did Gillan say otherwise to defend her mother’s reputation?
I refuse to read censored Enid Blyton books
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Gillian and Imogen - vastly different accounts of Enid

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think they were both honest. Gillian had a lot more of her mother's time, being an only child to begin with and being born earlier in her mother's writing career when perhaps she wasn't quite as busy.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I don't think it's fair to say that one must be wrong. They could have just very different experiences.

My Mum once said after reading an article about their different relationships that she wondered if EB had PND after having Imogen. It would explain the disassociation she seemed to have with her. And, in those days, it wasn't really understood, plus I suspect EB had very high standards of motherhood in her head, so probably really struggled with knowing that she, herself wasn't bonding with this baby, which would make it worse.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my sister once. There had been a big snowfall, probably the only really big one in our childhood. I remember Mum taking us to school on the sledge. A huge adventure going across the village with snow over the top of the boots, the triumph of finally getting there and the excitement of finding half the staff were missing and we ended up in different classrooms and doing fun things.
My sister remembers it as mean Mum deciding we still had to go to school when no one else was and it was cold, miserable and boring...

Neither of us is wrong, just a different prospective.
Silky moon
Favourite book/series: Five Go Off In A Caravan
Favourite character: Moon Face

Post by Silky moon »

That’s an interesting thought. Enid certainly had a troubled upbringing and perhaps she saw Imogen in herself. It’s entirely possible she had PND . It’s just they are so different, one portraying her mother as cold and distant and the other saying otherwise

The actress Joan Crawford adopted 4 children. 2 portrayed her as a tyrant and the other 2 were adamant this wasn’t the case
I refuse to read censored Enid Blyton books