Andrew Maunder - Enid Blyton: A Literary Life

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Enid Blyton: A Literary Life

Post by pete9012S »

Hope it arrives soon Fiona.

Amazon provide a very impressive 64 page sample on their website of this book.
I have changed the sample to the easy to read pdf format.
It can be read to see if you like the book and would like to purchase a copy for yourself here:

https://www.docdroid.net/Ithlgsu/enid-b ... aunder-pdf
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Sample also on Google Books going down intermittently to page 161 ...

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/ ... erary+life
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Just got the full kindle version of the book - looking forward to reading it.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Let us know what you think of Andrew Maunder's book, Pete. I read it not long ago and, as I said in the Journal 77 thread, I found the snippets from letters, reviews, interviews, etc. extremely interesting. The book portrays Enid Blyton as a person with a growing sense of mission, who took her work seriously and was fully aware of the responsibility that came with writing for a huge audience of children all round the world.

Enid Blyton - A Literary Life is a readable volume which certainly adds to our picture of Enid, though I couldn't help feeling that Andrew Maunder wasn't very familiar with key Enid Blyton books that weren't among his chosen titles. For example, Enid Blyton's full-length "fantasy tales" are said to consist of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, The Enchanted Wood and The Magic Faraway Tree! Those aren't the only titles in those series, and what about The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies, The Yellow Fairy Book, etc? Andrew Maunder also states that Enid doesn't mention her brothers in The Story of My Life, yet she writes in The Story of My Life about how she used to tell stories to her brothers when they were children. There's a reference to Jose, Click and Bun too, though that may be just a typo! Despite these anomalies, Enid Blyton - A Literary Life is an absorbing and informative read and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in the way Enid Blyton managed her career over the years.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie9598

Post by Susie9598 »

I’ve recently finished this book, which I did find very interesting. It was refreshing to me to have Enid Blyton reviewed in a literary way; taking her seriously as a writer, although I do agree that she was seen very much through the prism of “publishing phenomenon”. Something that I hadn’t realised was that EB was part of a literary tradition of mostly female, unless I’m misremembering that point, writers for children who came to prominence in the interwar years. Somehow I feel that her astonishing success (and I agree, it’s less to do with any ‘advertising campaign’ and more to do with her incredible output) leads to her being mythologised in popular consciousness as some kind of writing superstar who just burst onto the scene, without any connection to a literary tradition. And that’s reductive in my view, and contributes to the kind of prurient interest in her personal life/parenting capacity, or to the aggressive denouncing of her books as rubbish/rascist etc that we’ve had far too much of. Just my twopennyworth! And yes, there were a few typos which is always annoying. But overall I really enjoyed this book.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I discovered that Andrew Maunder's book was reviewed 'In brief' in a May issue of the Times. I preferred the review in The Enid Blyton Society Journal 77.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Is this the review, Judith, from the The Times Literary Supplement?

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/enid ... -lonsdale/

The reviewer, Sarah Lonsdale, doesn't think much of Enid Blyton, saying that she "shovelled monosyllables by the sackload" and that "Much of Blyton's oeuvre is dismissed today for its casual racism, social conservatism and deliberate lack of intellectual challenge." Sarah Lonsdale adds, without much enthusiasm, "Nonetheless, Andrew Maunder's Enid Blyton: A literary life insists that an author with such commercial success deserves serious evaluation."

Not exactly a perceptive assessment of either Enid Blyton's writing or Andrew Maunder's book!

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes Anita that's the one. I don't expect every reviewer to be a paid-up member of the Enid Blyton Society, but it puzzles me that someone who is so negative, almost phobic, feels qualified to do so. You're correct in suggesting that Andrew Maunder's book should be the focus rather than the reviewer's distaste at his choice of subject matter.
I suppose a 'controversial' review helps sell newspapers.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 07:43
The reviewer, Sarah Lonsdale, doesn't think much of Enid Blyton, saying that she "shovelled monosyllables by the sackload"
Not exactly a perceptive assessment of either Enid Blyton's writing or Andrew Maunder's book!
I'd have thought that monosyllables were just what learner readers needed :? :?

I wonder - has anyone done any analysis of Blyton's language with modern writers? I mean Secret Seven with contemporary books for 6 year olds, Famous Five for 8 year olds and Adventure series with 10 year olds?

I remember some years back an undergrad proposing to write their Third Year extended essay just on Five go to Smuggler's Top. :shock:

Language analysis from authors 60-100 years apart would be far more useful as a piece of research!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
timv

Re: Andrew Maunder - Enid Blyton: A Literary Life

Post by timv »

Moved from another topic.

Following up on Andrew Maunder's interview [viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9320] and overall approach to Enid, I'm now going through his biography - but as said, I find the major insights on how and why she wrote particular books/ series offset by the heavy-handed references to 'racism'' as a major issue yet again. I would have been happier with extending the 'these books were of their time' approach, which is a valid one and explains a lot (eg the charge of showing too many 'lazy' stereotypes of foreign characters), to this issue too.
Certainly this applies in the case of the depiction of Jo-Jo in 'The Island of Adventure' - he should rather be put with Mr Diaz in The Secret of Spiggy Holes and the slightly cartoonish Balkan villagers and policemen in The Circus of Adventure , or for that matter the Central African 'sun-worshipping lost tribe' in The Secret Mountain as the literary product of an era in the 1900s (when Enid was reading as a girl) ,to 1940s when books, adventurous boys' comics, and later on films portrayed such people in these terms as a matter of course. Arguably Enid did not bother to create unusual and more thought-provoking challenges to these stereotypes as writers like Geoffrey Trease did, but that was not her purpose and she was writing a lot more books than they were and had other priorities. And why not read Jo-Jo as a more subtle commentary by Enid on the simplistic cliche stereotype being shown up as lazy and inaccurate and needing to be ignored, as he can use this to exploit and trick his employers and the children? The message here to the readers would be 'look behind the surface assumptions' , which is in a way anti-racist in general terms - though very low-key.

But it is interesting to see the Second World War context of creating the first few Famous Five books as cheering up British readers and introducing the best of the UK countryside to foreign readers, as a wartime propaganda exercise - and using Eileen Soper's illustrations as she had already been called upon to do war work posters of the British countryside in 1940 . (I did not know this.)

Ditto the revelations in the AM book of what Macmillans, the publisher of Island of Adventure in 1943, initially thought about for Enid's first book for them - aiming it at their US audience with 2 British children returning to the UK in c. 1941 from the US and getting mixed up with German spies and helped by a US pilot . A rather different sort of series if Enid had followed this up, and one firmly set in WW2 - but Enid had the sense to prefer something that would not date' so quickly and reassured the publishers' that her own plotline would appeal to US readers too and would be not so specifically placed in a UK setting that it would put American readers off. (She stated in a memo to Macmillans that her setting would not be firmly placed geographically, and the 'copper mine' and the 'search for a rare bird' would be as relevant to US as to UK readers; and elsewhere this sense of creating only vague locations was stated by her as applying to the Five books too, as a way of widening their appeal. ) A useful new line on these 2 series, and on Enid's shrewdness!'

The Secret Mountain in particular can be argued as a children's equivalent of the literary Rider Haggard and the film 'Tarzan' series genre , not just written off as lazy racism - and as a cultural construct of a particular era which its intended audience would recognise. Enid was writing for that audience, and selecting topics that would please them and was portraying these in a manner which they would feel comfortable with; and I think that could have been emphasised in a more 'positive' and generous way rather than trotting out the 'look at all the racism, how terrible' approach again.

The 'cultural construct' argument about reflecting the author's background and how to tie in the produced book to the readers feeling comfortable about a recognisable setting explains a lot - but needed to be taken further. And if Enid was using cliches in her characterization, how about all the cliches of Buchan, 'Sapper' and co about sinister foreign baddies - and the often worse characterization of the 'foreign villains' in children's comics, which is I think a problem that all these literary critics tend to ignore but was still pretty bad when I was reading them in the 1970s and was then still aimed at the wartime Germans !
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Andrew Maunder - Enid Blyton: A Literary Life

I largely agree with your points, Tim, though I don't recall Andrew Maunder dwelling unduly on Enid Blyton's supposed "racism".

The notes and correspondence about The Island of Adventure are very interesting indeed. As you say, Macmillan initially wanted Enid to write them an adventure novel "based on a plot of their own design. This featured two teenagers, an older girl and a younger boy, returning from the United States to do war work in Britain via the Atlantic (a perilous crossing, given the threat of being torpedoed by German submarines). Once in London, the girl would get a job at the Admiralty, during which time she would meet an American pilot (on leave after being wounded on a bombing raid over Germany). He would take the girl and her brother under his wing." [These details were outlined in a memorandum dated 16th July 1943]. Macmillan felt that such a story would cement the bond between the USA and Britain, and establish Enid Blyton in America.

However, Enid wasn't keen on writing war-based fiction by that stage - not only because war books would soon become dated, but because a number of parents had told her that they preferred to buy books which would take their children's minds away from the war. She was open to the idea of working on a "special book for here and America" though.

I too found her comments about avoiding too much local detail illuminating, e.g. the following extract from a letter to Macmillan on 19th July 1943: "You must not worry about the book being too English or having references to our own flora and fauna. I am used to writing adventure, circus and ordinary stories that have no local atmosphere at all, because most of my publishers do a big trade with my books in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and so on, and I have learnt to depend, in those books, on character and incident and not at all on references to nature..."

Is that completely true, do you think? I've always felt there are quite a lot of references to nature in the Adventure series in particular, with Jack and Philip being keen on birds and animals. Flowers are named in many books (e.g wind-flowers, primroses and daffodils in the Barney mysteries) and we have little snippets of information such as Julian in Five on a Hike Together talking about coney being an old country word for rabbit. Why should such details be off-putting? When I read Laura Ingalls Wilder's books as a child, I wasn't put off by mentions of leeches, locusts, prairie dogs, buffalo, poison ivy, prairie grasses, etc. It didn't matter that I didn't know exactly what a prairie dog looked like - I formed a good enough impression from the context and my horizons were being widened. Such references added flavour and excitement to the stories.

Society Member