Enid's Piano

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Katharine

Enid's Piano

Post by Katharine »

In an article written by Doris Cox, she mentions that Enid would try out tunes on her 'green piano'.

I was wondering if there are any photos of Enid's piano or other information about it, as I'd never heard of a green one before. I've had a quick Google and there are quite a range of styles,
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Enid's Piano

Post by pete9012S »

Great question Katharine. Imogen's book just says:
From time to time we would visit the book department, probably because my mother held occasional story-telling and book-signing sessions there. This was a rather daunting experience for the reader, for although every kind of book was to be found on the extremely long and regular shelves, they did not look as if they were for browsing and there never seemed to be other people browsing either.

On those visits, we would pass through the music department with its imposing grand pianos dominating the silent space.

I do not know where we got our two upright pianos. My mother's small green one, which even had green instead of black keys, had come with us from Bourne End.

The Broadwood that lived in the nursery on which we both practiced in-between lessons, my sister with some application and skill, I with little of either, appeared long before the end of the war and must, I think, have been bought locally.

A Childhood at Green Hedges
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Enid's Piano

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for that Pete. I've only read Imogen's book once, and so don't remember a lot of the details.

I'm fascinated that there were options other than the usual various shades of brown available.
Society Member