Enid Blyton - The Untold Story

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Enid Blyton - The Untold Story

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks for the info, Aussie Sue and Barnard
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Barnard wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:31 Don Spencer appeared in both the British and Australian versions of Play School.
Now that I didn't know! I always loved his songs about Aussie animals — he also had a show called Feathers, Fur or Fins and released several albums of catchy songs, some of which we used to sing at school. But this is getting off topic.

Meanwhile, my copy of Enid Blyton: The Untold Story is officially in the post, so I expect I'll see it some time within the next few days...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm guilty of having joined in with a bit of off-topicness but it would be great to have some further comments on the content of the book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Somehow, I think the further Off Topic we go Anita, the happier Brian will be.

I do hope we get to read some further authoritative reviews. I almost got to do one today, but as my wife insisted I do some painting and decorating instead, that potential avenue of pleasure quickly became a cul-de-sac.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

One thing I noticed was that Rob Houghton is quoted in the book, something he said on the forums about her cinema-screen writing technique. Only he's described as a Scotsman. I always thought Rob was a Brummie?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes, I thought Rob even had strong Welsh ancestry too!
Rob Houghton wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 12:12 I'm actually planning my first tattoo, which I want to have to mark my 50th birthday in January...probably something with a dragon, as befits my Welsh ancestry!
I do miss Rob on the forums and hope when the time is right for him we will see him here again.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hear hear. I would love to see Rob back on both the forums and the Journal. Hopefully he is doing fine. And yes he has a strong Welsh ancestry though I have never known him mention any Scottish heritage.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Scottish heritage was a mistake on Brian's part which he has since acknowledged and apologised to Rob about.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

If you are still in contact with Rob, Daisy please send him our very best wishes. Thank you.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've read the first chapter of Brian's book, Enid the Naturalist. As the author states in his introduction, readers can start the book at any chapter they choose but, as a correct order freak, I prefer to work my way from front to back.
Following an overview we are given a journey through Enid's experiences, from remembering her father's imparted knowledge of wildlife and botany on their shared nature walks, through her qualifications to becoming a teacher to her articles in Teachers World which was a major cause in her rise to fame.
We are told about her progress in writing books about nature, we are even reminded of the controversy about her disparaging remarks about gypsies in her final nature book, the Enid Blyton Animal Lovers Book.
There are some beautiful illustrations from Enid's own The Bird Book, the title pages from many more of her nature books and a reproduction of the Teachers World cover from August 29th 1934 which featured Enid in her garden at Old Thatch.
Links are provided to the appendices at the back of the book and I found the chapter informative and written in a pleasing style, not just a list of facts but an appreciation of Enid's career in this field.
I would certainly recommend this book, from what I have already read, and I hope others will maybe review other chapters so we have a balanced view for others to read, who are maybe thinking of buying this book.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Daisy wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 13:42 The Scottish heritage was a mistake on Brian's part which he has since acknowledged and apologised to Rob about.
Thanks, Daisy. A pity it couldn't have been corrected before it went to print.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too would like to see Rob back on the forums and writing for the Journal once again.

John (Pickup), I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of Chapter 1 of Enid Blyton - The Untold Story. It's great to see Enid Blyton's deep interest in nature being brought to the fore.

As Brian Carter says, it's only one of the characters in Enid Blyton's Animal Lover's Book who makes disparaging remarks about gypsies - not Enid herself. The story of Zacky (Zachary Boswell), who befriends two children named Richard and Susan, is Enid Blyton's most sustained and positive portrayal of gypsy life. Zacky is friendly and honest and cares about wildlife, patrins are mentioned and Enid Blyton even introduces a few gypsy words such as "yokmush" for "policeman" and "disilo", which means "day comes". In the final chapter, Susan remarks that one thing she and Richard have learnt from Zacky is "to make friends with everything we can." She adds, "That ought to be Zacky's motto. He should carve it all round his waggon: I MAKE FRIENDS."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My copy of the book arrived today — and gosh, I can see what others here mean about it being hefty! :shock: I wonder why Brian had it printed on such heavy paper? Aside from that, though, it looks very very interesting and I look forward to getting into it. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 21:28 My copy of the book arrived today — and gosh, I can see what others here mean about it being hefty! :shock:
Hence my earlier comment about excess baggage, Courtenay. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Has anyone else had a chance to read it yet?

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member