Enid and the Suffragettes

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Enid and the Suffragettes

Post by Francis »

With the 100th anniversary of the death of the Suffragette, Emily Davison, I was wondering if there was
a change in women's expectations at the beginning of the 20th century which encouraged them to
push themselves forward. There was certainly a large number of talented women artists who became
illustrators (Enid used several of them) in the 1920s and 30s. Also many talented women children authors
appeared at this time including Enid and Richmal Crompton (who both wrote for boys as much as for girls).
Perhaps it is also no coincidence that quite a few including some Suffragettes were encouraged or inspired by their fathers.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Re: Enid and the Suffragettes

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Thank you, interesting view. :-)
Francis

Post by Francis »

Thank you, Soenke - I wonder if the same thing was happening in Germany at this time?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I think that career women were more a result of WW1. They were Enid's generation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... d-war.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Francis

Post by Francis »

Certainly the massive increase in the female workforce during the war was important but
once the war was over the man demanded their old jobs back. During the formulative years
of Enid's live women had become more assertive anfd their expectations had risen - this is
particularly true for middle class women.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I thought the Daily Mail article was very interesting. I was vaguely aware that there was a lack of men after the war, but I didn't realise just what the percentage was.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just watched a programme about the women's suffrage movement, and in particular the death of Emily Davison. It was very interesting, and I hadn't realised just how long the campaigning had gone on for, or the lengths that both side were prepared to got to. Particularly disturbing was the accounts of the women in prison being force fed.

I don't know how aware Enid was of the movement, but as she didn't have the right to vote until well into her 20s, by which time she was married, I wonder how much influence such events had on her writing. Attitudes towards women must have been much worse in some quarters than I had realised. Even back in the 1970s when I first read the FF books, I didn't find George's character that controversial, but I suppose when the first books were written it was only about 15 or so years after women got the vote, so it's hardly surprising that George was constantly trying to be 'as good as a boy'.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

It's very interesting how serious the situation became with entrenched attitudes on both sides. As you said, Katharine, the women were abused and intimidated - it took a lot of courage to keep going. The comradeship of women and the way they pushed themselves forward effected women accross many different areas. I think it is very interesting that women were asserting themselves in many ways including writing and illustrating books. It is interesting that Enid initially looked for a father figure (Hugh) to help her get off the ground but later on she moved away from him and sought someone more in tune with her world.
Society Member
littleguineapig

Post by littleguineapig »

I really enjoyed Richmal Cromptons Just William books even though I'm female
Francis

Post by Francis »

They are brilliant social satires - when I was a young lad I couldn't believe that they were written by a women. Another children's author who started off as a teacher. The books were also superbly illustrated - just look how the fashions of the day are shown
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Soenke Rahn wrote:Thank you, interesting view. :-)
Not really. In Germany the women got the right to vote after the First World War.
Last edited by Soenke Rahn on 03 Jun 2013, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Francis wrote:Certainly the massive increase in the female workforce during the war was important but
once the war was over the man demanded their old jobs back. During the formulative years
of Enid's live women had become more assertive anfd their expectations had risen - this is
particularly true for middle class women.
Suppose there was the time for it. I suppose in old times women worked also a lot. Maybe an example could be Katharina von Bora: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharina_von_Bora She earns a lot of money ... and without her ... ;-)
Francis

Post by Francis »

She does seem influential but mainly in the area of family life - a traditional female role. A true female rebel was Joan of Arc (a hero of the Suffragettes) who took over the role of a man - this was so shocking that she was executed as a witch.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Yes, but von Bora earns the money and Luther not really ... She means often he should take money for his writings, but he don't want. ... She brews bear, maybe this was typical for this time, but she managed the hostel and so on. :-) Luther named her Mr. Käthe ... Ok, she was not a soldier like Jeanne d'Arc , but made common work for the family. But yes, in this time women worked also a lot in general. It was not so how in the 20s in some families, I suppose.
Last edited by Soenke Rahn on 03 Jun 2013, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm not sure we've really got equality these days. We've got the right to vote, and in theory take on any job that a man could do, but in my experience woman are still mainly responsible for bringing up the children, often juggling a job as well, plus the majority of the housework - so equality = doing twice as much.

Also, I think there's far more pressure on women regarding body image, how many women dare to let their hair turn grey? Yet a grey haired man is 'distinguished'. Also, I've noticed many powerful business women seem to dress in a very masculine way, such as trouser suits etc., do they not like pretty dresses, or do they think they wouldn't be taken seriously in a business meeting if they weren't dressed in a similar way to men?

When a woman does wear a dress, such as a celebrity at a public event, it seems to have to be as low cut, or as short as possible, otherwise she's classed as a 'frump'. Newspapers and magazines seemed obsessed with catching photos of famous women coming out of a supermarket without makeup, and wearing casual clothes.

I wonder what all those women who fought so hard to make their voices heard 100 years ago would be pleased with the 'progress' society has made?
Society Member