Books about Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Books about Enid Blyton

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Every once in a while I get an email or letter about a proposed book about Enid Blyton. As another book has an 82 page thread on it (thus far!) I thought it might interest some to read part of a letter that I received:-

NOTIFICATION OF A FORTHCOMING BOOK ABOUT ENID BLYTON

I am pleaded to announce that I have just completed a new book about Enid Blyton. This book, whose title is yet to be decided, resembles no other book that has been written about her hitherto in that it focuses attention, not on the controversy surrounding a handful of her books for children, nor on her private life, but rather on her literary and artistic abilities.

It shows that she was not only a successful and prolific writer of children’s books, but also a Naturalist, Poet, Editor, Columnist, Classroom Teacher, professional Storyteller, a prolific Songwriter, Playwright, Artist and Illustrator, and a professional Gardener.

With supporting documentary evidence drawn from various sources, such as her autobiography, The Story Of My Life, Barbara Stoney’s Enid Blyton The Biography, The archives of the Theatre Museum in London, the Music and Rare books wing of the British Library, The Enid Blyton Magazine, and from her enormous contributions to Teacher’s World and other periodicals, and with over one hundred illustrations of a selection of her poems, songs and songbooks, drawings and illustrations, painting, Teacher’s World articles, syllabuses and full account of her Nature, World History and Gardening courses, prayer books, school readers, books for teachers, and so on, this book traces the origin, development and climax of the activities of all the ‘hats’ referred to above – ten in all – activities which, I am convinced, many people are totally unaware of.

The book also takes a close look at the complex factors contributing to her having been, in my opinion, a professional storyteller of the first order, shows that her wonderful musical ability was not lost when she gave up music for teaching, but that it was to find full expression in songwriting, and that no one was able to work out that the word ‘teacher’ in the Phrenologist’s report to her father was not meant to be interpreted as a classroom teacher but rather as a ‘teacher’ in a broader, mystical sense of the word. For documentary evidence is brought to show that she was indeed a universal teacher and that her spell of classroom teaching was to prepare her for this role.

In other respects, the book can easily be regarded as running parallel or complementary to Barbara Stoney’s Enid Blyton The Biography, in the sense that matters pertaining to her literary and artistic abilities, touched upon in that book, are developed and expanded in this new book to give readers the full picture.

Moreover, if we run through the dozen or so books that have been written about her for one reason or the other, we shall find passing references to her having been a Songwriter, Editor, Playwright, or even, mistakenly, a Journalist, but never before have all these ‘hats’ been put together in a single book! On the whole, the book shows her in a favorable light.

What I didn't say at the start of this thread is that I received this letter just over ten years ago. Four years ago I read the completed manuscript, as did Imogen. Although neither of us agreed with everything in it, we did agree that it was a very well written book and more importantly a very well researched book. The last time I heard from the author was about two years ago. He had been unable to find a publisher and was proposing to self-publish the book as a hardback copy with a dustwrapper and he hoped to bring the book out in the autumn that year. It would be a shame if this book was never to see the light of day, when it is so much better than one or two other books which are available for people to buy!
Katharine

Re: Books about Enid Blyton

Post by Katharine »

It certainly sounds like it would have been an interesting book. Maybe the author will be able to get it published at some point. I'd be interested in a copy, although it sounds as though it might be a bit pricey.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

If Tony thinks this book is worth reading I would be interested too. Perhaps we might have a speaker for a future Enid Blyton Day?

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I wouldn't worry too much about the book being very expensive if it is self published. Keith's self published paperbacks are priced at $11.95 each, so I assume a hardback would be somewhere around $20-$25.

I hope the writer does manage to publish the book, if Tony and Imogen both say it's a good read I'm inclined to take their words for it.

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Oh so bad for the writer that it has been past 10 years and he didn't get it published. I read the letter so I think this book has a lot of potential and the writer has put a lot of hard work in it, I hope he gets it published. This person who wrote the letter to you tony, has done a great job to go in depths and complexities of Enid Blyton by researching on her.

There is another thing I wanted to add here, its not that related to the topic but this thought came to my mind that Enid Blyton as we all know was not ordinary writer. However many people even my own classmates, my english literature teacher and many other people consider her as a childish writer who is not famous, who is only for first graders or just small children. They don't even know her properly to actually what a sort of legend she was.My class fellow who reads a lot of books and is a topper in our class, said that when you say have you read this Enid Blyton book it feels as if you said "have you read cinderella?". I felt like crying,the world's admiring her and still dozens of people think she is a childish writer,even my english literature teacher who lived all her life till teenage in England had the same remark, she said to me read some more mature books this is for children! I do read other books but Enid Blyton has her own place, no other writer can replace it.

People are researching on her and many people still have the same opinions, but I didn't know how to explain it to them what do you all think I should say to these people? Or shall we have a separate topic for this.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Ming wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the book being very expensive if it is self published. Keith's self published paperbacks are priced at $11.95 each, so I assume a hardback would be somewhere around $20-$25.

I hope the writer does manage to publish the book, if Tony and Imogen both say it's a good read I'm inclined to take their words for it.
I think if it is ever published it could be quite pricey, Ming. It is a big book in every sense of the word, and the title page says it is 'richly illustrated'. This is true as I have numerous pages of illustrations with the main book. Incidentally the title is 'Enid Blyton - The Untold Story'.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

This book needs to be published but (apart from us) probably has only a limited appeal to the wider public - particularly if it is expensive. Mind you I would probably buy it!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I hadn't thought about illustrations, but that would mean the book would be bigger and therefore more expensive. I still hope it can be published, though.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The question is though, is the writer of this book, going to get it published, or have they tried and been rejected a few times. That's the trouble once a person keeps getting rejections, you think it best to just give up!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member