Name Meanings of Enid Mary Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Name Meanings of Enid Mary Blyton

Post by Maureen1954 »

Enid

English Name Meaning - soul
Origin - England

Celtic Name Meaning - Spirit.
Origin - Celtic

Welsh Name Meaning - Woodlark. Life. From enaid, meaning soul or life.

Mary

English form of the name Maria, which was in turn a Latin form of the Greek names or Maria, found in the New Testament.

The usual meaning given by various sources for the name is the Hebrew "sea of bitterness". Other meanings suggested include "rebelliousness" or "wished for child" or "Our Lady" or "beloved lady".

Blyton

The name Blyton is thought to be from a combination of the Old Norse and Old English Bligr+ton, meaning "farmstead of a man called Bligr".It appeared in the Domesday Book as Blitone.
Famous Five Forever!!!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Name Meanings of Enid Mary Blyton

Post by Lucky Star »

So we should call her The rebellious soul of a beloved lady who haunts the farmhouse of a man called Bligr? :lol: :lol:

Very interesting though. I never thought about where it came from. There seem to be very few Enid's left these days; the name has clearly fallen into disuse. Mary and its derivatives are still popular though. Every second Spanish female has Maria as either a first of second name.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Perce

Post by Perce »

Lucky Star wrote:So we should call her The rebellious soul of a beloved lady who haunts the farmhouse of a man called Bligr? .
:lol: :lol:
"Here I am, struggling for promotion, doing my very best, and every time you come along and upset the apple-cart. You're a toad of a boy, that's what you are!" [PC Goon]

Society Member
DisappearingCat

Post by DisappearingCat »

Wow, Maureen...you are writing from Australia? Greetings all over the globe to you! Impressive how Enid Blyton brought together the whole world :) I am taking out my watch now out of the drawer to see the exact time from where you live...and it tells me that it's in the middle of the night...so, sleep well! :wink: and thank you for making all the work to find out about the meaning of EB's name.
My childhood means Enid Blyton
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Wow!! That's nice to know!!! I thought they were all from the Bible!!
You can call me Sunskriti!