Secret Seven Dementia?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Green Hedges

Secret Seven Dementia?

Post by Green Hedges »

Last month I went to Seven Stories and had a look at the typescript of Look Out Secret Seven, the latest EB typescript that is known to exist. I thought I might learn something about Enid's dementia and I'm sure I did. :?: :arrow: :idea: Anyway, I've written up my day out here: http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-2/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Secret Seven Dementia?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An interesting account of your study of the typescript, Duncan. According to Tony Summerfield's Illustrated Bibliography, Volume 3, Look Out Secret Seven was originally serialised in Princess magazine from August 12th 1961 - October 7th 1961, so it's possible that the summaries were written for the magazine as a recap for readers who were reading the latest part each week, and to put the story into some kind of context for new readers. I've seen similar summaries on at least one Enid Blyton typescript before, when there was a display of typescripts at an Enid Blyton Day.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It was and still is, I think, common practice for a summary of 'the story so far' to be printed at the start of each instalment of a serial story in most publications. In my opinion, that is the most likely reason for the summaries Duncan found in his research.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

A nice account of your visit to Seven Stories, but there are a couple of things I must correct. Anita has already pointed out one thing, but I can tell you that all Enid Blyton books that were to be serialised in magazines had that summary at the beginning and it was underlined as it was in italics in the magazine. You got Paula to check two other scripts for summaries, but neither had them as neither of those was serialised. So it was done as an aid to the reader returning to the serial after a week or two and not something to help Enid herself.

Secondly it is not the latest typescript known to exist as I have the typescript of Five Are Together Again in our archives.
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Interesting about the chapter summaries and serial publication, Anita and Tony! I will add a postscript to the text as soon I get a chance. My impression was that the summaries were made as Enid typed the story itself as the state of the ribbon did not appear any different in these sections, and there was perfect space for them. Presumably she did that because she knew the story was to be serialised and she figured she was in a better position to produce the summary as she went along than at any other time. In contrast, I formed the impression that when she typed chapter headings or book titles she was doing that retrospectively and the typed heading can either be darker or lighter than the mass of the typing because the ribbon has become older or been replaced by a new one.

Tony I didn't realise that the Society possessed the typescript of Five Are Together Again. It's not obvious from the archive part of the Secret Passage. Is there a list of Society typescripts that I've missed somewhere?

Hannah from Seven Stories has asked me to take down the two pages from the typescript that I reproduced in my piece, so I have done that this evening. Hodders have the copyright itself so I'll make an enquiry of them. Shame that people reading the piece can't for now see a reproduction of a sample page of what I'm talking about. I was told I was the first researcher to take a look at any of the Blyton typescripts after a full eighteen months of them being at Newcastle, so I feel this is an opportunity to promote their existence, as it were. Anyway, I'll see what Hodders say. Surely the reproduction of the occasional page of manuscript is not going to adversely affect sales of the printed books they publish? Copyright is always a grey area and a bone of contention between interested parties.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

An interesting read, definitely. Pity the main hypothesis of the article has been rather disproven, but at the same time nice to see Duncan take that amicably.

Pippa-Stef and I have a tentative plan to visit the Seven Stories centre once the Blyton exhibition is open, but now I want to go to the warehouse and read an original script too! I sense a long weekend in Newcastle might be the answer. As Duncan says - it's only a few hours on the train from Perth and Dundee's only about 30 minutes further. Not sure I'd be wanting to get the train at the back of 6 though:!:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Duncan, I've only had a chance to read the first chapter of your account, but so far I've really enjoyed it. I've only read a few SS books and have always found them rather tame, but after reading your comments I feel my interest in the series has been renewed. I'll also be keeping a sharp lookout for the other two books featuring Peter and Janet that you've mentioned.
Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Green Hedges wrote:Last month I went to Seven Stories and had a look at the typescript of Look Out Secret Seven, the latest EB typescript that is known to exist. I thought I might learn something about Enid's dementia and I'm sure I did. :?: :arrow: :idea: Anyway, I've written up my day out here: http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-2/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great work, Duncan. As a fellow writer on Enid Blyton, I am in agreement with your observations pertaining to Enid Blyton's Dementia as anyone doing intense research on EB's writings would attest in conjunction with interacting with people that have or are strongly suspected to have Dementia. I will try to write my own account on this issue, time permitting, in the near future.
Stephen I.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I always longed to share in the mysteries and adventures when I was a nipper!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Green Hedges wrote:I've added to this piece. http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-2/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you've already read it and just want to see the additional part, scroll down to part 4.
Janet and Peter are whisked off to the seaside by train, and to all intents and purposes the story is set in Kirrin
Really? I never saw that connection. I haven't read the story for decades, but why do you think it is Kirrin?
In the last two books of the series, the Secret Seven help an old general recover his medals and an old horse into a comfortable retirement. I can’t help thinking that Enid’s subconscious is considering her own predicament.
'Old men' featured in many of Enid's books, and had no connection to Enid's actual age. They usually smoked pipes and sat reminiscing about earlier years. Enid was just continuing her line of elderly characters. I think it absurd to try to try to predict Enid's subconscious workings.
An apt way for old Enid to sign off. Having knowingly written the word ‘Peterswood’ a page or two before, she now takes the humble form of an old workhorse and compliments the children in the book’s last lines. Not just the Secret Seven but the millions of children who will read her books.
Hmm. We're in the realms of Isabirye-Land, here. We can all 'read between the lines' and try to analyse Enid's thoughts and motives, but what is the point?
Perhaps Burgess Sharrocks was in on the metaphor as well, because his painting of the cover of Fun For the Secret Seven places a magnificent old horse in the centre of the composition. The horse looks a bit like Enid, with her long face and a great mane of grey hair
I am now thinking you might be just taking the mickey!

By replacing Colin's name for your own seems to speak volumes! I find your writing entertaining, but I draw the line at seeing it as a serious study of Enid's state of mind and possible memory loss. As with Stephen Isabirye's writings, speculation and fantasy is written as fact. That concerns me.
Am I the only one to feel uncomfortable with the continuing speculation and commentary on Enid's mental health? As far as I am concerned, Enid was a brilliant authoress, as time has confirmed. Isn't it time we let her rest in peace?
Society Member
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

I entirely agree with Nigel and all those on this Group who are wary of surmise and conjecture.
Duncan-I loved your book for the easy paced narrative, and I particularly liked the build-ups to your re-discovery of Blyton-where you have described your own personal experiences-whether in Council libraries or in houses where she once lived.
But when you and Stephen delve into conjectures on Enid's mind and thought-processes, that is where a lot of us feel uncomfortable.
Why don't you both indicate in your book introductions, that you are speculating and imagining what she Might have felt, instead of writing these as factual given's?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have to say that I agree with Nigel on this also. I wonder if any other author is being subject to this kind of speculation, or is Enid the only target.

Why can't people understand that she was an author for children, a good one, and had a fantastic imagination which she put down on paper for children of all ages to enjoy, taking them into the world of mystery and adventure, and at the same time, teaching them the rights and wrongs.

Why oh why can't everyone just leave her mind alone, and stop seeing things that are not there!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Miss Pepper

Post by Miss Pepper »

Green Hedges wrote:I've added to this piece. http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-2/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you've already read it and just want to see the additional part, scroll down to part 4.
Duncan
I must say I personally have really enjoyed reading all your latest work on your blog.It must be acknowledged that it will certainly not be 'everyone's cup of tea' and suit all tastes,but purely from a personal perspective I find that I have really come to enjoy your style of writing -especially the way you weave and interlace known facts with your own entertaining supposition.

I look forward to the future new additions to your blog.
Thank you again for posting a link to your work.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I also agree completely with Nigel and the others. All this conjecture and the such, feels like an intrusion to me and depresses me considerably. EB has given us enough! Can't we just enjoy it in peace? :(
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:As with Stephen Isabirye's writings, speculation and fantasy is written as fact. That concerns me.
Am I the only one to feel uncomfortable with the continuing speculation and commentary on Enid's mental health?
No, you are not the only one. I am also concerned that wild speculation can be turned into fact.