Enid Blyton at the Inklings

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Enid Blyton at the Inklings

Post by Ming »

While randomly looking through articles on Wikipedia I came across this sentence on the page on The Inklings.
The more regular members of the Inklings, many of them academics at the University, included J. R. R. "Tollers" Tolkien, C. S. "Jack" Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams, Tolkien's son Christopher, Lewis' elder brother Warren or "Warnie", Roger Lancelyn Green, Adam Fox, Hugo Dyson, R. A. "Humphrey" Havard, J. A. W. Bennett, Lord David Cecil, and Nevill Coghill. More infrequent visitors included Percy Bates, Enid Blyton...
I wonder how true this is? And if Enid did join the Inklings occasionally, does anyone know what she did there?

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton at the Inklings

Post by Lenoir »

I wonder, it hasn't been mentioned before, and this other site doesn’t mention her: http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/themes/92/92544.html
It also says: "As with many Oxford societies during this time, membership was exclusively male"

However, I don't know if that would stop her from doing a Susie and occasionally getting into a meeting!

Also, she liked to store bits of information for use in future stories and these meetings would be a good place to pick up new ideas. I’m not sure what she would have in common with the other writers, but Lewis and Tolkien were into fantasy worlds so maybe she would have shared some ideas from the faraway tree stories.
dsr

Post by dsr »

My guess would be that someone's "done a Susie" on Wikipedia. Enid Blyton wouldn't fit in that company AT ALL. Entirely the wrong sort of intellect.
DSR
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Only just found this, a month later....

It could be she was a guest of one of the regulars. I think even some all-male organizations will allow females to attend if they are a guest of one of the male members.
     I'd be interested to know more about this, too, if it's true. I agree - she doesn't seem to fit, somehow.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It'd certainly be interesting to know more if it was true - but I think dsr is probably right - it's a Wikipedia thing.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

So what's "doing a Susie"? Putting wrong information into Wikipedia? And how does that relate to Susie?
     When I first read that, I thought (without thinking it through very well) the intended meaning was that Enid Blyton had dressed up as a man and gained entry to the Inklings that way - just the same way Susie once got into a Secret Seven meeting by dressing up as Jack (having told him the meeting time was half an hour later than it really was so two Jacks weren't on the scene at the same time). That scene was incredibly hilarious, I seem to recall. And Peter's anger on learning of a trick like this can be quite funny, too.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member