Enid and modern life

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Moonraker

Re: Enid and modern life

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:My grandmother was also a regular church goer, so maybe there's a connection between hats and church attendance?
I cannot ever remember seeing a lady in church without a hat in the 50s. There is a reference in the Holy Bible that women should cover their heads in a holy place. Some BACs wear head-scarves whenever they are out, as they consider the whole planet to be holy.
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Trevor wrote:I think that Enid Blyton if she were here today would be shocked by the spelling and abbreviation methods of the modern world today. The "e-mail language" as it is so called. ("u" instead of "you", "2mozza" instead of "tomorrow", etc.) I myself personally find it ridiculous and a waste of time. Sometimes I can be stuck for quite some time just trying to read something in this abbreviation form of typing. So if I find this frustrating and annoying as a young person in the modern world, I have no doubts in saying that Enid Blyton would be shocked and horrified.
I was born seventy six years after Enid Blyton, yet I remember being shocked (or at least taken aback) the first time I looked on the Internet and saw all these spelling mistakes and grammatical errors from the general public. I think it was because I was seeing all these errors in printed lettering as opposed to handwriting. Up until that point I was only used to seeing printed books and newspapers which were (mostly) edited correctly, so seeing all these mistakes was quite jarring.
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

I was born in 1992 and I do not understand text talk. I have to ask my friends to explain it to me. I often feel like the only person in my generation who cannot understand the way the rest of the generation speak over mobile phones or the internet. Text talk bothers me, back in high school there were girls in my class who would actually write text talk into a formal essay and then be amazed when they were severely marked down.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I understand most text talk, though I really don't use it all that much. Unless I really feel the need to keep a text message as one message I don't shorten words other than using slang or short forms of words I'd use if I was speaking. I might say "gonna" in text instead of "going to" as that's a word I'd say out loud.

I use some abbreviations on MSN messenger/facebook/email to friends, common ones like brb (be right back), wb (welcome back), b/f or b/friend (boyfriend) ttyl (talk to you later).

It's a bit odd, probably, and I can't explain why I'd use TTYL, but I'd type "see ya" and not "cya". I also wouldn't use "g2g" (got to go), "U" (you), "l8r" (later), or 2morrow/2moz (tomorrow). Doesn't seem to be any pattern or logic to it though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member