The new Elizabethans

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

The new Elizabethans

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

To mark the Diamond Jubilee, James Naughtie will be profiling the 60 public figures who have made the greatest impact in these islands during The Queen's reign - men and women who have defined the era and whose deeds will stand the test of time.

But who are the great achievers of the past six decades? Who will stamp their names in the history books just as Shakespeare, Drake and Raleigh did before them? Who will be remembered down the years for changing the way we live and think, for entertaining and amazing us?

We'd like your help to find The New Elizabethans. They can come from any walk of life. Their impact must have been on these islands between 1952 and the present day but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be British.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/th ... zabethans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, they are looking for 60 nominees, and I know that Blyton has had a great positive impact on my life! :lol:

Perhaps we ccould list some of her plus points to assist anyone who wants to make a nomination

For starters, she gave me a sense of adventure

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Re: The new Elizabethans

Post by Katharine »

Well she's certainly made enough headlines over the decards, and I wonder how many other authors have had as many books written about them?

In my humble opinion she'd certainly qualify on the entertainment aspect.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Every generation of children since 1952 has grown up reading Enid Blyton. What other author can make this claim!
Francis
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Why 1952? She had several popular books out at least a decade before that.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona1986 wrote:Why 1952? She had several popular books out at least a decade before that.

Probably because that's when the Queen came to the throne, and they are looking for people who have made a contribution during the 60 years since.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks, I didn't put the two together at all there!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was being interviewed this afternoon by a reporter from The Guardian and he mentioned a poll that he had seen - it didn't fully register at the time so I went into Google and brought up this little gem of information:-

A 2003 poll listed Enid Blyton as the fourth most evil person ever with Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot and Ghengis Khan ahead of her and Idi Amin deemed less despicable ...

I wonder if she qualifies to make the top 60! :roll:
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

That may well be true... if they only surveyed Grauniad journalists! :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony, I've just had a quick google and couldn't find the relevant poll. It wasn't dated 1st April was it?

I'm prepared to accept that Enid Blyton's style of writing wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and maybe some of her works could be viewed as non 'pc' by today's standards, but to put her on a par with dictators who were responsible for the annihlation of countless innocent souls seems rather over the top. :shock:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I had never heard of this poll but vaguely remembering what he had said to me I just stuck 'Pol Pot Hitler Blyton' into Google and up it came. Idi Amin came 5th! I ought to add that the reporter was actually a Blyton enthusiast and is currently reading the Faraway Tree books to his young daughters.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I was being interviewed this afternoon by a reporter from The Guardian and he mentioned a poll that he had seen - it didn't fully register at the time so I went into Google and brought up this little gem of information:-

A 2003 poll listed Enid Blyton as the fourth most evil person ever with Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot and Ghengis Khan ahead of her and Idi Amin deemed less despicable ...
:roll:

I'd include Enid Blyton among the 60 "New Elizabethans" because she empowers children, inculcating in them a sense of worth and making them feel that they can be part of things and make a difference.

Edit: Have just voted for her.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have just voted for Blyton in the New Elizabethan's poll. It seems like a good idea to have such a list. Other good candidates might be some of The Beatles. I bet we end up with Tony Blair and Maggie Thatcher though. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I voted for Enid as well! Don't think polititions will get many votes. Lets hope
plenty of others will vote for Enid - she really deserves it.
Society Member
delightfullyvintage
Favourite book/series: Mallory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell!

Post by delightfullyvintage »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I had never heard of this poll but vaguely remembering what he had said to me I just stuck 'Pol Pot Hitler Blyton' into Google and up it came. Idi Amin came 5th! I ought to add that the reporter was actually a Blyton enthusiast and is currently reading the Faraway Tree books to his young daughters.

Just done the same - wow! As evil as Hitler....really!!! :lol:
delightfullyvintage
Favourite book/series: Mallory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell!

Post by delightfullyvintage »

Just voted :D