Another Book About Enid

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Feliss

Another Book About Enid

Post by Feliss »

I just happened across a book written about Enid called "Looking for Enid: The Mysterious and Inventive Life of Enid Blyton" by Duncan McLaren.

Is anyone familiar with this? I found it on the Book Depository website. It appears to be a 2008 publication.

Just wondering if it's worth getting hold of.

Felicity
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Another Book About Enid

Post by Ming »

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Complete list of books about E.B.

Post by MJE »

I saw this for sale recently on my eBay hunt for Enid Blyton books, and got it - it hasn't arrived yet, though, so I can't comment.
     I wonder if anyone could please point me to a complete list of books about Enid Blyton - either on the E.B.S. web site, or elsewhere. (I looked in the Cave, but can't, at least on quick examination, see anything that looks like a section of books *about* Enid Blyton.) At one point I thought I had kept up with this, and thought I knew just about every book that had been written about her - but I've gradually become more and more disorganized, and further books have come out, and I feel I'm not at all up with this now.
     I don't know if I quite want to buy every book about Enid Blyton; but I'd like to have a complete list, and at least consider buying each one.
     Here (in no particular order) are the ones I think I know of (often only a description, since I may not remember titles and authors):

Autobiography by Enid Blyton herself
  Book by one of her daughters
  4-volume bibliography by Tony Summerfield
  Book by David Rudd about the Famous Five
  Book by Stephen Isabyrie about the Famous Five
  Book by Norman Wright about the Famous Five
  "The Blyton Phenomenon" by Sheila Ray
  Biography by Barbara Stoney
  Bibliography (I think) by Mason Willey
  Book by Eva Rice (I forget what it covers)
  "Looking for Enid" by Duncan McLaren

The only ones I have are the 3rd, 6th, 8th, and 10th of these, but I probably would like to get all the rest.
     Are there any others I've missed? I'm sure there are - and there may be so many books about Enid Blyton now that it may be unrealistic to hope to collect them all.
     I'd be glad of any information about others.
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 23 Dec 2011, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The book by one of her daughters, on your list, Michael, is probably the one called A Childhood at Green Hedges, by Imogen Smallwood. It's a very good book and one I treasure and read over and over again.

Some of the others I own are The Story of my life, by Enid Blyton, Barbara Stoney's book, which from the list you have, Who's who in Enid Blyton by Eva Rice, The Enid Blyton Story by Bob Mullan, there's another one by one of her daughters, Gillian Bavaerstock called Tell Me ABout Enid Blyton, and I also have Enid Blyton by George Greenfield.

Hope that helps your list.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Thanks, Julie. I think some of those you named are the ones I was thinking of, only I didn't remember their titles or authors. But the ones by Bob Mullan and George Greenfield are ones I overlooked.
     With books by her daughter(s), the one by Imogen is the one I was thinking of. I was scratching my head trying to recall whether Gillian had also written a book, but couldn't quite recall if she had.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

MJE wrote:(I looked in the Cave, but can't, at least on quick examination, see anything that looks like a section of books *about* Enid Blyton.)
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/further-reading.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for putting that link in, Nigel, I was about to do the same. That section is not quite as current as I would like it to be as it is in Keith's territory rather than mine, so I can't add to it, but it is missing tsome books which have come out over the last three or four years.
ciclón
Favourite book/series: Barney Mystery series
Favourite character: Miss Pepper, Snubby, Loony, supporting characters

Post by ciclón »

In my opinion, it will be a good idea to update list of books about Enid, in the further reading section. Fans need to know the most complete list possible of edited books, different editions, difference between editions, novelties and reviews. All of this can help us to purchase or searching titles..
This is only my personal opinion...
:wink:
Society Member