Books about EB's writing

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Books about EB's writing

Post by Nicko »

I wondered if any decent books have ever been written which explore EB's writing rather than her life?
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Books about EB's writing

Post by Ming »

I don't know whether there are many books out there about it, but you could try reading Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature by David Rudd, published by Macmillan in Great Britain and St. Martin's Press in the US in 2000. As far as I remember this book is not published any more, even when it first came out it was priced at over £35. Sometimes secondhand copies do pop up on Amazon and eBay but they're very expensive (well over £100), so good luck finding a copy.

For now, you could read Enid The Writer, a wonderful article written by our very own Anita Bensoussane. It provides valuable insight into her writing methods.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And of course there is always Stephen Isabirye's book, The Famous Five:A Personal Anecdotage.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Don't listen to him, Nicko, he's humouring you.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

:twisted:
Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Nicko wrote:I wondered if any decent books have ever been written which explore EB's writing rather than her life?
Surely, Nicko, my book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage, dwells at large on Enid Blyton's writings rather than on her life. This is especially so in the chapters, tilted, "Enid Blyton" and "Language."
Stephen Isabirye
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Ming wrote:I don't know whether there are many books out there about it, but you could try reading Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature by David Rudd, published by Macmillan in Great Britain and St. Martin's Press in the US in 2000. As far as I remember this book is not published any more, even when it first came out it was priced at over £35. Sometimes secondhand copies do pop up on Amazon and eBay but they're very expensive (well over £100), so good luck finding a copy.

For now, you could read Enid The Writer, a wonderful article written by our very own Anita Bensoussane. It provides valuable insight into her writing methods.
Ming, thanks a million for mentioning David Rudd's Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature. The steep expense of this book, in part, highlights the pitfalls of "traditional publishing." They intentionally made so few copies that the book has since run out of print as well as being so terribly dear to purchase. My book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage, does not even cost half of the 35 Br. pounds. in addition its POD status, suggests that it will forever be in print, unless it transits somehow to the "traditional" medium. In addition, over the weekend, I received an inspection copy of the e-book version of The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage which in the coming weeks will hit the Kindle, Nook, Infibeam, Borders, etc e-book forum. It is 55 percent cheaper than the print version and its format is great i.e. large print and easier to read than the print version. So fingers crossed. I will talk later....I am being chased out of the company lab where I am writing this statement.
Stephen isabirye
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Enikyoga wrote:I will talk later....I am being chased out of the company lab where I am writing this statement.
I hope it's not an angry reader of your book..... :wink:
Society Member
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

G'day!

You might find this link helpful:

https://rapidshare.com/files/3015170686 ... _Ref._.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's from the Gale Series ''Children's Literature Online". Very comprehensive, with useful excerpts from Blyton and her critics.