Imogen's viewpoint

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
chloe1

Imogen's viewpoint

Post by chloe1 »

I was discussing Enid with some friends recently and the usual questions were asked about her character, how she treated her children etc. Someone recalled reading newspaper articles (we were guessing 20 years ago) when Imogen wrote a really damning description of her childhoods and I can also remember documentaries around the same time where her old staff were discussing her being cruel to animals.

I know Imogen is a friend to the Enid Blyton society and I do not want to offend in anyway but I was interested in how and why Imogen seemed to soften her story over the years.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Imogen's viewpoint

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry, Chloe, but when you say - according to her old staff - who was cruel to the animals? Are you meaning Enid?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Sorry - that sounded a bit exagerated. There was a documentary on a while ago and they had an old housekeeper? who claimed that Bobs the dog would get locked in the shed and that she still wrote about him years after he died. - she also said something about playing tennis naked I think - it was quite a long time ago and I really dont remember specifics. I think it was out at the same time as the newspaper reports about Imogen but might have been later. The whole thing was very negative about Enid. I think it was here that they also said that Enid had a lesbian affair with Dorothy but I have read so much about her over the years I cant be sure.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Right, thanks for that. I think we all know that Enid still went on writing about Bobs, and Letters from Bobs long after he died. I've also heard about the tennis etc, but I guess what Enid did in her own garden was up to her! Maybe it was his kennel Bobs was locked into. I guess we'll never know now. Pity Enid didn't want Bobs grave to be recognised, I'd love to have seen it at Old Thatch when we visit in June. :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

chloe1 wrote:I know Imogen is a friend to the Enid Blyton society and I do not want to offend in anyway but I was interested in how and why Imogen seemed to soften her story over the years.
I think Imogen Smallwood felt she'd had her say in her book, A Childhood at Green Hedges, and that writing it was something of a catharsis. As far as I know she hasn't retracted anything she wrote, but in more recent interviews and talks she has tended to focus on Enid Blyton as a writer rather than as a mother. Imogen has always respected Enid's writing, especially the freshness of her early work, and she also set up the Enid Blyton Trust for Children in memory of the charity work that Enid Blyton (through her magazines) encouraged children to do.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Thanks Anita that was helpful - I have never read Childhood at Green Hedges (I didnt realise it existed)although I did also read what I think were extracts from it at the time in newspapers.

Julie - I think it was a channel 4 doc that must have been inspired by Imogens book. They took every negative or shocking aspect they could find and it was unpleasant viewing - especially as I had never heard anything about any of the allegations before. I am glad with the recent film that they tried to explain the reasons and events behind Enids more difficult ways.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

chloe1 wrote:Thanks Anita that was helpful - I have never read Childhood at Green Hedges (I didnt realise it existed)although I did also read what I think were extracts from it at the time in newspapers.
A Childhood at Green Hedges was published in 1989 but it has been out of print for a while now and is becoming quite hard to find.
chloe1 wrote:Julie - I think it was a channel 4 doc that must have been inspired by Imogens book. They took every negative or shocking aspect they could find and it was unpleasant viewing - especially as I had never heard anything about any of the allegations before.
I think the programme you're referring to is Secret Lives, Chloe, which was broadcast in 1996. There's some information about it in the following thread:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ube#p79448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I was watching a copy of Imogen's book on e-bay last week and it went for £26, plus p & p. I've seen a few others listed, but didn't see how much they sold for, but I think the start price is usually about the £12.pp mark, so it's out there, but not cheap.

I vaguely remember the Channel 4 programme, I can't think why I didn't record it at the time.
Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I am so surprised at the time difference between Imogens book and the documentary. I knew the articles I read were from when I was at primary school because I can remember talking about them in class but I always thought Secret Lives (yes it was this) was only a year or so later - obviously I was too busy being a teenager inbetween to notice time passing.

Thanks Anita - you have been really helpful :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

1996 was the date given in an article in Green Hedges Magazine but I too have been wondering whether that's right because, like you, I had thought (though I could well be wrong) that I had watched the programme a few years earlier than that.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:1996 was the date given in an article in Green Hedges Magazine but I too have been wondering whether that's right because, like you, I had thought (though I could well be wrong) that I had watched the programme a few years earlier than that.
I always assumed the programme was broadcast around about 1997 as it was her centenary year. Or was there another programme around about that time. I'm annoyed with myself for not taking more interest at the time, but back then my collection of Enid Blyton books had been packed away in the loft as we didn't have a lot of room. I even remember my mother reading one of the biographies (probably the Barbara Stoney one) and I never bothered to read it!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I watched and recorded Secret Lives on 16th December 1996 when it was shown on Channel 4 Televison. I still have the VHS video. As far as I know, this was the first time it was broadcast, but I could be wrong!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Eddie Muir wrote:I watched and recorded Secret Lives on 16th December 1996 when it was shown on Channel 4 Televison. I still have the VHS video. As far as I know, this was the first time it was broadcast, but I could be wrong!
Sounds a pretty definite date to me, I just had a feeling for some reason I'd watched it in the summer. Either they repeated it the following year, or I'm just confusing memories - the latter being the more likely one. :oops: Maybe you could copy it and set up a stall at the next Enid Blyton day and flog some pirate copies :wink:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I keep remembering a conversation I had at the end of 1992, when I met up with two friends of mine (sisters) who had been my "Blyton buddies" when we were children. We were talking about Enid Blyton and Gillian and Imogen, and a few of the things mentioned in the Secret Lives programme came up in conversation. However, it's perfectly possible we'd come across those things elsewhere - perhaps in a magazine article or on a TV programme about authors, or in a review of Imogen's book.

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I really don't understand what does Chloe 1 is saying about playing tennis naked ,Enid is not mad to do so.
Last edited by zaidi on 10 May 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.