Susan Hill on Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Re: Susan Hill on Enid Blyton

Post by Belly »

Anita, The Rector's Daughter by F.M. Mayor is another (mentioned in the Hill book) I'd never heard of and would be interesting to read I think.

I've been reading Noel Streatfield lately, Gran-Nannie is outstanding I think. A story about the life of a nineteenth century maid/nanny based on a family member that Noel knew well. I have always been interested in 'below stairs life' and this is apparently one of few accurate accounts.

Also enjoying The Bell Family by Noel Streatfield - this is witty, laugh out loud funny and much better than the slightly dated and sometimes stilted Gemma books (alhtough I like these too). I had no idea it was serialised on radio 4 in the 50s and was once widely known. Great to read and may well get the sequel.

Also reading Dusty Answer (also serialised on radio 4 but very recently) by Rosamond Lehman and Invitation to the Waltz - again never heard of these until recently. Not mentioned in the Hill book but would have been a good addition to her bookshelves. I want Hill's house by the way, it sounds absolutely idyllic in terms of setting, view and lay out. I imagine that Gillian Baverstock's house in Yorkshire was also absolutely stunning with a wonderful garden, never visited but just have this sort of picture in my head. A beautiful house fit for such a special and wonderful lady.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Susan Hill on Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Belly wrote:I forgot to add that Lauren St John uses the same 'cinema screen' technique as Enid Blyton and that might be why her books flow so well for me. I read an interesting interview with Lauren where she said how she couldn't possibly write or dream up anything much if she gave it conscious thought.
That's interesting. I'll have to read The White Giraffe in the near future. Must also try Shiva's Pearls by Harriet Graham, if I get the chance. Although I'm a fan of Noel Streatfeild, I'm afraid I haven't read Gran-Nannie or The Bell Family. Apple Bough, Tennis Shoes and The Circus is Coming are my favourites of the ones I've read.
Belly wrote:Recently read I, Coriander - author can't recall off the top of my head, which seemed to combine rich language with an engaging plot and was very skillfully crafted.
Ah yes - Sally Gardner! I have a pristine signed hardback of I, Coriander(I think it's the only signed fiction book I own, other than Keith Robinson's). I bought it last summer while browsing bookshops near Leicester Square with Tony :) , but haven't yet read it as it's not the kind of book that can be popped into a handbag - I need to sit down with it properly and treat it with care! I have read two other Sally Gardner books though - The Red Necklace and its sequel, The Silver Blade, which are set mainly in Paris at the time of the French Revolution. They're mesmerising stories which transported me to another world. Julia Golding's "Cat Royal" books are set in a similar period, but span a number of different countries and begin with Cat living at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in London.
Belly wrote:Will look forward to Anita's list thread! :)
The "40 Books" thread is in General Natter.

I agree that Susan Hill's house sounds lovely, as did Gillian Baverstock's house in Ilkley.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member