Enid On Holiday

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid On Holiday

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

(I wonder whether it's possible to glean any clues from them about the inspiration for Kirrin Island?)

I was just thinking the same thing myself, Anita. There are many small islands around Jersey, and I think one has a fort on it. Alderney I think. I wonder if Enid turned the fort into a castle?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

While looking through Barbara Stoney's Biography for something else, I came across a reference to a holiday in Bournemouth with Hugh Pollock. While Enid Blyton was pregnant with Gillian in 1931, she and Hugh "decided to take an extended Easter holiday at Bournemouth".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: By the way, I don't think we've mentioned Enid and Hugh's cruise in October 1930 to France, Portugal, Madeira, Morocco, the Canary Islands and Spain on the Stella Polaris - a voyage which Enid drew upon when writing The Pole Star Family and The Ship of Adventure (both 1950).
Not to mention that "The Pole Star Family" is the inspiration of the third German "Tina und Tini" book - the similarities are far too obvious and similar to the changes that "The treasure hunters" and "The boy next door", the first books of this series, went through, although the plot is heavily extended with a mystery story...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Wolfgang wrote:Not to mention that "The Pole Star Family" is the inspiration of the third German "Tina und Tini" book - the similarities are far too obvious and similar to the changes that "The treasure hunters" and "The boy next door", the first books of this series, went through, although the plot is heavily extended with a mystery story...
Ah yes, I recall you mentioning that. I suppose they had to introduce a mystery element to fit in with the rest of the books in the German "series", but the feel of the original is very different from Blyton's mystery/adventure books. The Pole Star Family reads like a young children's information book about travel/a foreign culture, with the plot being secondary to the family's observations.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Post by black labrador »

I'm surprised someone as wealthy as Enid only had 2 holidays outside the UK (plus the school trip to France) - she could easily have afforded many more, and some of her characters do seem to travel - Uncle Quentin and Mr Lynton go to the USA on business, and Fatty goes skiing in Switzerland.

Did she dislike her foreign experiences, or was she so happy with Dorset that she didn't need to travel anywhere else?
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

black labrador wrote:.

Did she dislike her foreign experiences, or was she so happy with Dorset that she didn't need to travel anywhere else?

well - what would you expect me to say :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've never been to Dorset - it's on my list of holiday destinations within the next 10 years. At the moment it's about half way down the list, but I think I'm going to have to bring that forward. I've just started watching the 1957 version of Five on a Treasure Island which was partly filmed at Corfe Castle. It looks an absolutely fantastic place, and I can't wait to see it for myself.

Like Enid I've only been abroad a couple of times. Although finances partly control my choice of destination I have to say I don't feel the need to leave the UK. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with travelling abroad, it's just that there are so many lovely places right here. I'm off to the Isle of Wight this summer, and think I'll try and glean as many facts about where Enid visited before I go, it would be interesting to see if she visited any of the places I'm hoping to see. Better not mention that to my family though, as last year's holiday included a visit to see Old Thatch, the miniature Green Hedges in the model village plus a detour past Blyton Close :lol:

I'd already pencilled in a return to Seaford for next year, and that was before I knew Enid had visited there.
Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

In the 50's people generally didn't go abroad on holiday.
It was pre the package deals, and usually the treat was to go to the seaside here.
In fact, the Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands were pretty much the nearest to "abroad" we achieved!
However wealthy Enid was, she proably just preferred Dorset, as you suggest---and who wouldn't? :)
(Cue Viv!)
black labrador wrote:I'm surprised someone as wealthy as Enid only had 2 holidays outside the UK (plus the school trip to France) - she could easily have afforded many more, and some of her characters do seem to travel - Uncle Quentin and Mr Lynton go to the USA on business, and Fatty goes skiing in Switzerland.

Last edited by Aunt Fanny on 18 Feb 2011, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Aunt Fanny wrote:In the 50's people generally didn't go abroad on holiday.
It was pre package deals, and usally the treat was to go to the seaside here.
For financial reasons, I know my parents didn't have holidays at all when children, the closest was day trips to the seaside on the train. My mother did travel to Scotland as a teeanager, but that was to stay with relatives.

Although I doubt lack of money was behind Enid's lack of foreign travel. Having read some of her nature books I wonder if she loved the British nature and landscape so much she didn't feel a desire to leave it. From what I've read, with a house and garden like hers there wasn't much need to 'escape' to somewhere more luxurious.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I can remember the talk if a schoolfriend's father's car had a GB plate on the back. "They must be rolling in money!" was the usual comment!

We had an aunt in Ventnor (my Dad's birthplace), on the Isle of Wight, and spent a few summer holidays there. We also had Railway Runabout Tickets which gave seven days unlimited travel in a specific area.

Marvellous times - far better than a week in Spain!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker, we are staying just outside Ventnor this year. Can you recommend anywhere in particular in visit? I have been to the Isle of Wight many years ago, so am looking forward to revisiting some places. Can't comment about it being better than a week in Spain, never having been, but my previous visits were certainly very enjoyable.

Most of my school friends' holidays consisted of a caravan at Great Yarmouth or a week at Butlins/Pontins at Clacton. A few 'rich' ones went skiing with the high school.

Interesting how people's idea of a holiday changes over time. Last year I asked some acquaintances if they were going on holiday. They replied that they weren't as it was too expensive. I was just about to commiserate with them when they added 'we're just going away in a caravan to the New Forst for a week'. Call me old fashioned, but I thought that is a holiday. :?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm hazy about the details, but there was a very strict (and small) limit on how much foreign money ordinary UK citizens could get - regardless of how much they had in the bank. It may have been that her publisher paid for Enid's trip to America.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I also wondered how much of her income Enid actually had at her disposal? If I remember correctly, her house was owned by her agent or publisher, did they also have control of her money too?

Also, is it possible she didn't enjoy travelling? I think I read somewhere that she didn't enjoy driving. I wonder if she got air or sea sick? Or maybe either/both her husbands didnt want to travel?

I'm interested in the fact that Gillian was sent to a residential nursery during one of Enid's holidays. Was the nurse not trusted to be left alone in the house or was Gillian looked after by staff at the nursery, giving the nurse time to herself in London? Perhaps Enid thought it would be a treat for the nurse to spend the time with lots of other small children/babies :?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: It may have been that her publisher paid for Enid's trip to America.

Viv
I think that was the case. Wasn't it partly a business trip? I believe she was being presented with the award for Mystery Island (the US title of The Island of Adventure) and took the opportunity to visit her publishers and have a holiday at the same time.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Moonraker, we are staying just outside Ventnor this year. Can you recommend anywhere in particular in visit?
There are some lovely walks west of Ventnor, over the cliffs. It is many years since I have explored the coastal paths, but I remember the beauty of Wheelers Bay. This site offers a glimpse into some of the delights of the area, Bonchurch, in particular, is a wonderful village, my late Father being a former organist of the parish church. My Grandfather, Harry Rowe, was known as Mr Ventor, as he organised many events for townsfolk and holidaymakers. He was always seen by the late-lamented pier, drumming up enthusiasm for the many events that took place in the post-war years. Do 'Google' Ventnor, there are some great ideas to be found online. The coast road that runs around the south of the island is particularly beautiful. Personally, I would stay away from Newport, Cowes and Ryde. The IOW Steam railway is also a must!
Last year I asked some acquaintances if they were going on holiday. They replied that they weren't as it was too expensive, [but] they added 'we're just going away in a caravan to the New Forst for a week'. Call me old fashioned, but I thought that is a holiday. :?
That really irritates me. I often here people say when asked if they have any holiday plans say, "Oh, we're only going to Cornwall, this year." Like you, Katharine, I consider this to be a holiday!
Society Member