Did Enid smoke?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Did Enid smoke?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:However, it seems likely that she might have been a social smoker.
Yes, she was. I am not sure why I never posted in this thread as I did put the question to Imogen when it first appeared. She apparently didn't smoke at all in later life, but her husband, Kenneth, smoked like a chimney - but he was of course a doctor! :lol:
Enikyoga wrote:At times it was not uncommon in those days for people at times to pose with either a cigarette or an alcoholic beverage merely for a photo op, even if they did not participate in such activities.
I find it very difficult to believe that a non smoker would pose with a cigarette! I can see this possibly happening with actors who are playing a particular role, but I can't really imagine a non-smoking author doing so! :roll:
dsr

Post by dsr »

My Dad was in the RAF just after the war, and they all had a free cigarette ration each week. My Dad was one of the unusual ones who didn't smoke them - he sold his. But it was certainly more usual to smoke than not smopke in the RAF. And very few people disapproved of smoking generally - except in the case of athletes etc. where it was known to affect your wind.
DSR
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I didnt know smoking gave you wind!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A lady I know who is in her 70s told me that her mother was actually encouraged to smoke by a doctor. Although only one a day. The idea being that it gave her time to sit and relax for a few minutes once a day so that she could have a break from the hard work of running a home and family.

I wonder if she got them on prescription?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I know people with asthma used to be encouraged to smoke because it was supposed to open up the air-ways! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

My parcel of 100 photocopies from Teachers World arrived from the British Library today :D

I thought you'd like this story about Enid's mischievious kittens... (May 14 1941 Teachers World)

They got all the cigarettes out of the box the other day and had a most wonderful game with them, so that the cigarettes were nicely spread all over the room, chewed in half or in quarters. That made me rather sad because cigarettes are so hard to get!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Robert Houghton wrote:I know people with asthma used to be encouraged to smoke because it was supposed to open up the air-ways! :shock:
Wow, that was horrible and it would have been horrible for some one like me that was asthmatic during childhood. Who knows, if I had taken up smoking at such an early age, I wouldn't be here now, since on the contrary, smoking may assist in developing more severe asthmatic problems because of the contractible nature of the lungs as a result of short breath.
Stephen I.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I know it must seem strange to young people today, but there really was a time when smoking wasn't seen as bad, in fact it was seen as quite glamorous. When I was young (long time ago) young women would smoke with long cigarette holders and appear quite stunning (I never smoked and was thought quite boring by my friends). A role model was Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffanys', what young girl wouldn't want to look like Audrey Hepburn with her long cigarette holder!!!

How times change.
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Ming wrote:I think, Anna, it showed her in a real light. For those of us who have already read A Childhood at Green Hedges, the film was not surprising in the least. Though I have to admit that perhaps some scenes were rather exaggerated.
It may have shown some 'real' parts of Enids life but the problem with this film is it only showed the negative parts and left out all the positive parts of which there are many, not the least all the pleasure we all have remembering the happy times during our childhood with our Enid Blyton books.

I felt quite distressed watching this film knowing how many examples I have in my collection of Enid as a kind, caring, sharing person and there was no reflection of this in the film at all.
Society Member
emmajo

Post by emmajo »

Certainly in the 1940s and 50s, she grew up when smoking was fashionable, on every Hollywood movie and
part of the way of life for artists, writers etc.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Here's a short film on attitudes to smoking 50 years ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17232532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

An interesting clip Viv.

I couldn't help being fascinated by the accents of the members of the public. Did people really all speak that nicely back then, or did they have to question 100s of people before they found a handful who spoke the Queen's English?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wonderful diction, Timothy Whites and a 105E! Happy days. Strange too, to see an all white England. :|
Society Member