Enid & family in the 1911 census

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Enid & family in the 1911 census

Post by Belly »

Just looked Enid up and she appears aged 13 (born Dulwich, Surrey) with her family in 31 Clockhouse Rd, Beckenham. She is listed as attending school.

Her mother is listed as 36 years old and being born in Sheffield and her father 41 born Deptford, Kent. Cary Charles her brother is listed too, aged 7 (born Beckenham, Kent).

Interestingly her father's profession is given as 'Mantle manufacturer, dealer ladies costumes skirts and CT' not sure what the CT stands for?

Also in the household is a Mabel Anne Brine aged 28, single and a general servant, originally from Shaftesbury, Dorsetshire.

This got me thinking as to what Mabel's duties might have been and whether she would have had any relationship with the young Enid? Not sure how long Mabel was with them or whether she would have been 'part of the family' as such?

Very exciting having the census on line! Although there seem to be a fair few of my family who should be there but are mysteriously not.
Moonraker

Re: Enid & family in the 1911 census

Post by Moonraker »

Belly wrote: Very exciting having the census on line! Although there seem to be a fair few of my family who should be there but are mysteriously not.
Great news, Beli! Just found out my father was a year younger than we thought he was!
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Isn't it exciting! I wouldn't rely on the age on the census as being accurate - one of my relatives is listed as being born in 1880 when I have his birth cert for Dec 1879.

A friend said for earlier census returns they rounded up or down so something similar may be going on there.

Have found that my great grandmother was a midwife in London which I didn't know!

Just looking out for relatives of this Mabel Brine on another site - they may not know their ancestor worked in Enid's home!

Apparently some women protested about not having the vote so refused to participate in the census. What I am unclear about is whether they could get their husbands, as heads of household, to refuse to participate? This may explain why so many of the people I want to find out about are missing!!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Belly wrote:Isn't it exciting! I wouldn't rely on the age on the census as being accurate
My wife has just said the same thing!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very interesting, Julia. Thanks for letting us know.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Found all my mother's side on the various census, including the new 1911 one, which includes my nan and grandad, aged 3 and 1 and half respectively, but can't get my dad's family yet, as north Wales isnt ready till later in the year. :(

Its an interesting census, because it's the first time you can actually get to see your ancestors filling in the census details with their own writing 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

In the 1901 census the Blyton's are at 95 Chaffinch Road Beckenham, and there are only the four of them listed: Thomas Carey Blyton, who is 31 and described as a 'mantle manufacturer' (Tailor is written in above) with his 'own account' from London Deptford, Teresa Mary, 26 from Yorks Sheffield, Enid Mary aged 3, born in Dulwich and Hanly Harrison aged 1, born in Beckenham. What happened to Hanly on the 1911 census?

Not sure, but maybe CT stands for Costume Tailor?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Robert Houghton wrote: What happened to Hanly on the 1911 census?
Good question. Hanly went to boarding-school, unlike Enid, but would that have prevented him being listed at his home address on the census? Or perhaps he went to live with relatives for a while, or something like that?

In reality Thomas Blyton wasn't living with Theresa by 1911 either, having walked out on his wife shortly before Enid's thirteenth birthday in 1910 and set up home with another woman.

Anita

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote: What happened to Hanly on the 1911 census?
Good question. Hanly went to boarding-school, unlike Enid, but would that have prevented him being listed at his home address on the census? Or perhaps he went to live with relatives for a while, or something like that?

In reality Thomas Blyton wasn't living with Theresa by 1911 either, having walked out on his wife shortly before Enid's thirteenth birthday in 1910 and set up home with another woman.

Anita
I hadnt thought of that: if Hanly was at boarding school then he would be listed on the school census rather than at home, as it had to be the place you were staying on the census night. I also hadn't thought about 1911 being after Thomas left home: it looks like Theresa liked making things up as much as her daughter! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Just a thought but wouldn't Thomas actually have had to be there that night?

The enumerator would have visited the house in person presumably and accounted for the people present? Perhaps not if people filled the forms themselves by 1911? I have relatives where the husband is listed as travelling on business and similar? Or absent for the night there was no shame in that...
Belly

Post by Belly »

Found 'Hanby Blyton' born 1900 (sic) at Craven Cottage School, Croydon Road, Beckenham.

His name had been transcribed incorrectly - that has happened with lots of my relatives and makes it hard to find them :evil:

A couple, William and Amy Carlin appear to run the school. There appear to be 5 teachers in total (including them) for around 15 pupils, no wonder standards have dropped! :)

There are two French boys visiting. Teachers were: Ernest Verral, Leslie Jackson and Raymond Mummery. If anyone wants names of pupils or more detail let me know.

Whilst looking I came across a Carey Blyton born in 1872 Newark, Nottinghamshire (Carey struck me as an unsual name so perhaps a connection)? Or am I missing something obvious?

Also noted the rather extravagantly named 'Doncastio Blyton' (were the Blyton clan a bit more adventurous than most)? born in 1851 in Basford, Nottinghamshire.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Belly wrote:Just a thought but wouldn't Thomas actually have had to be there that night?

The enumerator would have visited the house in person presumably and accounted for the people present? Perhaps not if people filled the forms themselves by 1911? I have relatives where the husband is listed as travelling on business and similar? Or absent for the night there was no shame in that...
Usually people were only told to fill in the names of those actually living there at the time. When the census enumerators filled it in themselves then they had to rely on the honesty of those living there, but by 1911 I guess the same thing would apply. If Theresa wanted to make it appear she had a husband (and to avoid lieing and saying she was widowed or telling people she was divorced) then she would have found it very easy to fill in the form to say her husband was living there. Who filled in the form for the 1911 census? Its usually signed at the bottom by the person who filled it in? 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Belly wrote:Found 'Hanby Blyton' born 1900 (sic) at Craven Cottage School, Croydon Road, Beckenham...A couple, William and Amy Carlin appear to run the school. There appear to be 5 teachers in total (including them) for around 15 pupils, no wonder standards have dropped! :)

There are two French boys visiting. Teachers were: Ernest Verral, Leslie Jackson and Raymond Mummery. If anyone wants names of pupils or more detail let me know.
Interesting stuff - thanks for that. Yes, I'd like to know the names of the pupils if you have the time, please.
Belly wrote:Whilst looking I came across a Carey Blyton born in 1872 Newark, Nottinghamshire (Carey struck me as an unsual name so perhaps a connection)?...Also noted the rather extravagantly named 'Doncastio Blyton' (were the Blyton clan a bit more adventurous than most)? born in 1851 in Basford, Nottinghamshire.
The first name "Carey" does suggest that there could be a connection. It would be great to know more.

Anita

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Just wrote out a whole list and lost everything! Will re-do when I can...Julia :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sorry about that, Julia - it's really annoying when that happens. :evil:

Anita

Society Member