Could Enid have been a better writer?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Could Enid have been a better writer?

Post by Courtenay »

By contrast, my mum has always said that in her school library — this was in a suburb of Melbourne largely populated by post-war European immigrants in the 1950s — "there was nothing to read but Enid Blyton!" But it obviously gave her a good start in life, as she still loves Blyton books to this day and made sure my sister and I grew up on a steady diet of them too. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't think my mom had any Blyton books as a child in the 1940's, but she did have Sunny Stories from about 1940 - 1946 - which is where her love of Enid Blyton came from. She bought Blyton books for my sister and me because of her memories of The Farway Tree etc and read them to us from a very early age. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Its a pretty interesting thread, especially since I've been focusing too much on writing. I really consider and relate to all the techniques and features I've been taught for my IGCSE English. I dont think these things, like character development, climax and all that stuff was even thought of around in 1940s.

As a young child, I was always told that lots of vocabulary makes your writing good,but now I disagree.
I think the most important part of the story is, what it is in itself. The content, the message and the originality. ( Realized this with Fifty Shades trilogy too, which was pretty simple language)

Enid is the reason I started reading(around grade3, about 8 years of age), I even forced myself to read other boring authors for the sake of reading. Her writing has brought me up, my love for countrysides, adventures and all the sporty interests have been because of reading her. I remember, how hurt once I felt when one of my too over mature class girl cameup and said Enid Blyton is a babyish writer and I should be reading something more elderly.

Lots of people here in my country, dont even know the correct name but they have read Famous Five.

My love for Enid, has genuinely proved to be a milestone in my life(one of those things is this forum). I wish , people who underestimate her and those who dont understand that' writing isnt just maturity', should seriously talk to you all, and Anita and Tony especially.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

IceMaiden wrote:Absolutely disgraceful, but our school didn't have any EB books :shock: :evil: .
Same here. Maybe the teachers thought children read enough Enid Blyton books in their free time and decided to promote other authors in the school library?

Interesting that you went to a Welsh school, IceMaiden. I've got an Enid Blyton book in Welsh - one of the Llyfrau Natur series (Nature Readers).
IceMaiden wrote:As to reading an Enid Blyton in one sitting, I could do so if I wanted, but I never would. I want to savour every detail, get lost in the illustrations and be swept away in the story not rush through it.
Except for short books like Noddy or Mary Mouse, I don't think I've read an Enid Blyton book in one sitting either. I enjoy lingering on certain scenes and stopping to ponder about things or simply revel in the atmosphere.
zaidi wrote:As a young child, I was always told that lots of vocabulary makes your writing good,but now I disagree.
I think the most important part of the story is, what it is in itself. The content, the message and the originality.
I think style is an important part of storytelling. With Enid it's not so much her vocabulary that stands out as her general phrasing and manner. Her style is warm and lively and flowing - it comes across as very natural and seemingly effortless. I also love the way she incorporates personal observations and appeals to the reader (e.g. when she finishes a story by saying something like, "I wish I could see it. Don't you?") When I read the books as a child, it made me feel that Enid Blyton viewed me as a young friend who was on her wavelength and shared her interests and secrets.

Having said that, I do agree that content, message and originality are important too. Enid Blyton was aware that it was essential to create worlds which would grip and inspire children and she provided wonderfully imaginative settings and happenings, fast-paced plots, intrigue and conflict, engaging characters, thoughtfully-presented lessons in life and plenty of variety.
zaidi wrote:My love for Enid, has genuinely proved to be a milestone in my life...
Yes, a milestone indeed. I honestly can't imagine my childhood without Enid Blyton! Her books have been an enormous influence on me.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
IceMaiden wrote:As to reading an Enid Blyton in one sitting, I could do so if I wanted, but I never would. I want to savour every detail, get lost in the illustrations and be swept away in the story not rush through it.
Except for short books like Noddy or Mary Mouse, I don't think I've read an Enid Blyton book in one sitting either. I enjoy lingering on certain scenes and stopping to ponder about things or simply revel in the atmosphere.
For me, opening an Enid Blyton book is like going off on holiday - such an enjoyable experience that I don't want it to end! I never feel I want to rush through an Enid Blyton book - the goal is never to reach 'The End' quickly, but to enjoy the journey. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

My secondary school was better than the primary one, it had a wonderful library. I remember when we were taking on a 'tester day' to look around and see what it was like, I wanted to just stay in the library all day and see what they had. I wasn't disappointed when we finally got taken to look around in there during English class, and I was pretty delighted to see they had some Famous Fives (paperbacks with the 70's TV images on the cover). Of course, by then I'd already read them all at home, so had no real need to borrow them, but as each book was stamped on removal so they could keep tabs on what was popular and what wasn't but not who they were booked to, I borrowed them out repeatedly to make Enid Blyton look as popular as she fully deserved to be :lol: .

Our town library had a great range of EB's, including most of the find outers and adventure books, which we didn't have at home, and I often struggled to stay within the limit of 8 books at a time. Luckily, I knew the librarians and went there so often they'd relax the rules a bit and let me add another book if I really wanted one.
Robert Houghton wrote:I don't think my mom had any Blyton books as a child in the 1940's, but she did have Sunny Stories from about 1940 - 1946 - which is where her love of Enid Blyton came from. She bought Blyton books for my sister and me because of her memories of The Farway Tree etc and read them to us from a very early age. :-)
I know my mum and her sisters had Blyton books, as I've got them all. I was helping my gran tidy up her attic one day and she handed me a box of books, saying I could have them if I wanted, or bring them back if I didn't. When I got home and looked through them I realised with that they were all Enid Blytons, all with my auntie's names and address's in them from when they were little. Needless to say, they never went back!
zaidi wrote: I remember, how hurt once I felt when one of my too over mature class girl cameup and said Enid Blyton is a babyish writer and I should be reading something more elderly.
Tell that to my dad, he's 60 and would still rather have an Enid Blyton book over anything else on the planet, and come to think of it, so would I 8) .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

My school library only has 1 Enid Blyton book!! :cry:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

In my family and friends, and even my students. Know my obsession with Enid Blyton, that they associate me with her. My aunt calls me Enid to make fun of me :lol: .
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Just as that happens to you, my family sometimes call me Georgina!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Hahaha! Glad there people like me out there :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My family often call me Dick. :|
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Perhaps they have seen your awful new avatar? :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I quite like it but wasn't the cow supposed to jump over the moon? :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's cute, but the problem is I don't register it as Nigel. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Courtenay wrote:It's cute, but the problem is I don't register it as Nigel. :wink:
I think that's my problem too.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member