Philip Pullman is not a Blyton fan, it seems...

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Katharine

Re: Philip Pullman is not a Blyton fan, it seems...

Post by Katharine »

chloe1 wrote:I very much hope Pullmans books are around in years to come because they are brilliant. The dark matierals trilogy is really exceptional and I strongly recommend them - please dont let the conceit of the author put you off.
No, I certainly wouldn't let that put me off reading a book. I like to make my own mind up about things. I've a long list of authors I've never read, but would like to one day, and Philip Pullman is on it.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: Is Enid Blyton losing her magic?

Post by Wayne Pyer »

As i have said previously, I detest this man as a person and find most of his work is nonsense. However, I have to agree with Chloe, that his 'His Dark Materials Trilogy' is both riveting and brilliant and I would highly recommend it. It's just a shame he's such an ass. (or any variation on that last word) :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Fillyjonk

Post by Fillyjonk »

I know this is an old link, but I only recently came across both Pullman and Rowling's excessively ignorant comments about Enid Blyton online and would like to add my two cents to this excellent forum. Like many others, I read Pullman's trilogy and thought it was well-written and imaginatively conceived - but unlike anyone else, seemingly, I was amazed by the misogyny represented by Mrs. "sleep-my-way-to-the-top" Coulter and, worse, the way tough, capable Lyra inexplicably defers timidly to Will as soon as he shows up - in HER world, no less - in The Subtle Knife. What gives, Philip? How is C.S. Lewis' sexism of the '50s worse than that? As for JK Rowling, sneering at Blyton for not having sexuality in her '40s books for children is just plain dumb. I know people think she can do no wrong, but it's silly to be superior about it when NO ONE would have put sex in a children's book back then! And as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't a change for the better. Kids today have enough to deal with without sex in their fairy tales/adventure stories too.

Mr Pullman calls Enid Blyton's writing pleasureless to read and "reconstituted meat". I'm sure he could have expressed himself with more class, but then he is famous for despising any British children's writer who is more popular than he is (except Rowling; he likes to pick on writers who can't defend themselves, being dead). Enid had her faults, but she also wrote many, many charming stories for YOUNG children about the magic of adventure, the holidays, being in a group and doing things without grownups around... timeless themes that children all enjoy even today. Simple as that.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well put, Fillyjonk. And welcome to the forums :D
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Snork Maiden

Post by Snork Maiden »

I realise this is an old thread...

I read and loved Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, but I did so as an adult. I am sure that as a child it would have been way over my head and not hit the right buttons for me. Pullman's comments just make him come over as a literary snob. Blyton's popularity amongst children endures because she knows exactly what makes their little minds tick.