Was Enid Blyton the servant of Satan?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Re: Was Enid Blyton the servant of Satan?

Post by Fatty »

I too stumbled on to this thread just now by accident. "Unlike other, more wholesome forms of children’s entertainment such as Bible reading, wood-chopping for boys and knitting for girls, Ms. Blyton’s books are significantly vacuous." That one sentence alone should make it amply clear that it's intended as satire. It's quite entertaining.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Prompted by my good friend Fatty, I have just read it. Okay, a few well aged chestnuts, but fun all the same. Good to see Keith's comment, too! :D
Society Member
blytonlover1962
Favourite book/series: St. Clare's/Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: Carlotta Brown/Sally Hope

Post by blytonlover1962 »

This probably isn't to relevant, but when my daughters went to a Christian Secondary school, they banned most Enid Blyton books and claimed that they were full of sin. I almost wet myself with that one. I allowed my daughters to carry on reading her books, and it eventually ended up with me and the headmaster having a full blown shouting match in front of all the pupils, which ended up with me asking the pupils whether they wanted to have the freedom to read whatever books they wanted. One little girl came up to me and said,
"Heyho for a good book and a soft bed."

I could have hugged her.

But seriously, I was wetting myself with laughter at that article. It was truly hilarious.
"Enid Blyton books are the most wonderful in the world! They're full of funny happy things, but they've still got sad things. I wish I was one of her characters!" ~ My youngest daughter
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Welcome Blytonlover1962! :D I enjoyed reading about that incident.
Society Member
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

As an unpublished frustrated novelist myself I only wish I had her gift for pacing, plot, characterisation and boundless imagination. Sheer genius!
Jill

Post by Jill »

That is so funny

" ghost writer Beelzebub himself guiding her hands on the black typewriter of damnation" wonderful :lol:
and I like " young suckle from purile teat of popular culture" priceless :lol:
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Clearly satire, in my view - although some of the comments seemed to take it seriously.
     No way was this from the Westboro Baptist Church, as mentioned earlier - not nearly poisonous and malicious enough for them. If you check up anything about that church (which has no connection with standard Baptist churches), you'll find some seriously sick, psychotic stuff there. Their theology seems to be no deeper than a pervading belief that every bit of misfortune that happens to any person or country is a punishment from God for being too tolerant of gay people. "Rev." Fred Phelps is in serious need of help, in my opinion; but I suspect he's way beyond any possibility of being able to be helped.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
lwindrush

Post by lwindrush »

Enid was guided by a fierce Protestant work ethic, a fierce all consuming desire to tell stories, I think the sheer number of books she produced has ultimately damaged her reputation but I appreciate the fecundity if her imagination.
Timmylover2
Favourite book/series: Five on Billycock hill, The secret Island, Fami
Favourite character: Julian, Peggy, Jack, Bets

Post by Timmylover2 »

zoemills wrote:
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:This is one of the dafter web sites I have seen!

http://thestaticvoid.net/drivel/201/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes :twisted:

Viv
Daft! :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
has posted this.
lwindrush

Post by lwindrush »

400 million sales and counting, it's fashionable for critics every decade or so to attack Blyton, i suspect the same thing will happen to. J K Rowling.
I have never come across a critic who is a successful author, it's pure frustrated jealously.
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

The author sounds like a Christian fanatic to me. He clearly disapproves of Blyton's liberal views and makes crude comments about characters and scenes in her books to back up his out of touch, fascist, extreme right-wing medieval viewpoints on issues such as gay marriage, race, gender identity and sex. It's a children's book, yet he's drawing such dispicable and ridiculous connotations from them! Absolute lunatic. Can't quite believe what I've just read. Bloggers such as this really do expose that they are the one's in the minority with their racist and sexist views, and that Blyton's books promoted nothing more than common decency that we should all look up to. Thank god that children growing up appreciated such values from Blyton, rather than from sadistic hypocrites who write blogs like that in an attempt to back up their own pathetic views/delusions, to act as if they think they are being politically correct, and to belittle Blyton at every given opportunity when her success is undeniable!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Burning books sounds more like satanism to me! At least we know what to wear at the
next Enid Blyton event. Personally I have worshipped her for many years and drunk many a glass
of Satan's brew which I call Ginger Beer.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Francis wrote:Burning
books sounds more like satanism to me! At least we know what to wear at
the
next Enid Blyton event. Personally I have worshipped her for many years
and drunk many a glass
of Satan's brew which I call Ginger Beer.
The question we have to ask is, would people consider satanism to be a form of Christianity? Afterall, it refers to a group of Western religions.

Don't satanists ideolise Satan which is mentioned in the bible? So why would this blogger portray Blyton as Satan when she is supposed to be a hate figure?

Having said that, too many, Satanism is seen as an ideoligcal backlash developed in the context of Christianity and the Western world. So it could be argued that it is both anti-Christian and atheist, although it is becoming more socially acceptable and has been accepted in the Royal Navy and British Armed forces.

On her Wikipedia entry, Blyton's religion is stated as; "In the
mid-1930s Blyton experienced a spiritual crisis, but she decided against converting to Roman Catholicism from the Church of England because she had felt it was "too restricting".

So Blyon was a pracitising protestant, something that wouldn't wash well with a so called satanist. Obviously I'm trying to see this through the
mind of a very twisted messed up individual who is trying to apply his own misguided beliefs to a children's book and the political and religious views of an author. Also, would you view Blyton as a secularist?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I view Enid Blyton as an incredible story teller and a first rate authoress. Her home life, religious beliefs and brand of washing-up liquid that she bought is of no interest to me at all.
Last edited by Moonraker on 30 Dec 2012, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Sometimes people get so fixated around their own propositions that they see things no mere mortal ever did reading the works including the writer of the books themselves.