Another New Book

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Another New Book

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Books about Enid Blyton are getting a bit like London buses, we get nothing for years and then three come along at once! First we had Duncan McLaren's book, then a few days ago I posted about Tess Livingstone's book and I have now learned of another one that is coming out this autumn, Enid Blyton: The True Story by Ria Follop. I don't know much about this book as yet, but apparently the Follop Family were near neighbours of Enid's in Beaconsfield for a period during the 40s and 50s. The author is claiming that her grandfather, Reg Follop, was a 'close friend' of Enid's. As she wasn't even born when Enid died, I am always slightly sceptical about stories and anecdotes that get passed down from generation to generation (her grandfather is no longer alive), liable to get spiced up a bit at each retelling much in the manner of the old Chinese whispers game. We will have to wait and see, all I have managed to find out so far is that it will be a paperback, published by Feodouly Books (never heard of them and nor has Google!) sometime this autumn.
Enikyoga

Re: Another New Book

Post by Enikyoga »

I think it is great that yet another book on Enid Blyton is to be published. This underscores the popularity of Enid Blyton through the generations. For a person most of whose personal diaries were destroyed, keeping Enid Blyton's memories and works is of paramount importance. It is great that people who were not even around while Enid was still alive are writing about Enid Blyton which demonstrates Enid Blyton's enduring popularity. In fact people who have the hottest websites on EB including the original designers of this website were not around while EB was alive. Yes, it is true that as time passes, information about a big person like Enid Blyton tends to be distorted over time. Nonetheless, it is the myths at times that accentuate a person's importance. For instance Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc are still being written about, long after they are gone and you bet that through the ages, more non-relatives of these writers or personalities have written more about these celebrities than their own relatives. Thus, you should not be surprised that more books in either autumn or early next year come out dealing with Enid Blyton and her works, after all these books coming out during this period would coincide with the important fortieth anniversary of her death.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jolly good, Tony!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ria Follop has had quite a few works published, often in the Springtime. Ancestors of this literary family used to live in Salisbury, they had a large property on the northern side of the city, and often wrote to the local newspaper regarding their mildly eccentric neighbour. Sadly, they all died and their once ancestral home is now a youth hostel. :shock:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ria Follop - yeah, right! :lol: :lol:

And I was starting to get a bit excited too... :cry:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have to admit that my Ria Follop, was a slightly lame attempt and all but one spotted the anagram and the publisher is an anagram as well. With the BBC doing something on flying penguins I just wanted to put an April Fool on this site too - but I didn't get away with it. :( :(

Having let the search engines back in, I am just hoping that Google hasn't picked the book up!!

Oh heck, I have just checked Ria Follop on Google and it is in 3rd position!! :lol:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Oh heck, I have just checked Ria Follop on Google and it is in 3rd position!! :lol:
That's even funnier! :lol: :twisted:

This could be the start of something big for Ria Follop!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

While looking for something else entirely I stumbled upon this thread and wondered how one earth I'd missed the Follop biography.

Surely that must be a record, falling for an April fool's thirteen years late??
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ha ha - caught me out, I hadn't joined the forums when this was posted.

By sheer coincidence, I've just started a re-read of Duncan's book, and so thought there was yet another book I needed to add to my collection. :)
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was a member when it was posted so it's entirely possible that I have fallen for this twice :oops:.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I see Ria Follop hasn't take it personally and has gone on to pen very wordy things..
On the origin of the cosmic microwave background anisotropies
Ria Follop
https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0703806.pdf
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

It seems Ria Follop contributed to that document in 2007, before this topic. Perhaps she is a friend of Tony. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Watch out for the in depth analysis and review of Follop’s book by Prof. Olaf Priol, Department of Child and Youth Studies, Stockholm University. To be published April 2022 - better late than never.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Jomo wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 12:32 Watch out for the in depth analysis and review of Follop’s book by Prof. Olaf Priol.

:D :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member