Enid Blyton: Did she vote Labour or Conservative?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton: Did she vote Labour or Conservative?

Post by Deej »

Moonraker wrote:Not at all. The Labour Party is a staunch advocate of retaining council houses.
True, but what about building on green belt land?
Moonraker wrote:There was no sexism in the 40s. Men ruled and women (and girls) obeyed.
Halcyon days! :twisted:
How is that right? Society has to better today now that women have more of an equal footing.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Nigel was just joking about Halcyon days - well I hope he was!!! :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, don't fret Deej. I've never ruled or been obeyed in my life! As for women's rights, I'd vote for women bishops in the CofE if I had a vote.
Society Member
Deej

Post by Deej »

Ahh right :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Enid Blyton and her books but I like critically drawing upon some aspects of her work because a lot of misguided politically correct people try to point her as nothing more than a racist and sexist when there is more to her and the books than that.

The books should be treated as adventure books for children, with maybe a slight overtone of Blyton's views and how society worked at the time. People clearly enjoy reading them as they wouldn't have sold so many copies and still enjoy huge popularity even today if that wasn't the case.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Perhaps I've forgotten a bit more about these books than I thought, but I'm just wondering about a couple of statements you make, Deej - and also wondering whether this is looking for social or political meanings a little too deeply.
     Where in "Five on a Hike Together" can we find statements that might indicate Enid Blyton was somehow opposed to marshes? And I don't recall Uncle Quentin saying anything at all about the careers he hoped Julian and Dick would follow - I'd have thought he'd be so wrapped up in his own career that he'd scarcely give his nephews' careers any thought at all.
Deej wrote:I don't think they should be considered too politically because they are children's adventure books at the end of the day.
     I think that statement probably reflects how I would view the books, rather than your earlier comments. I don't think it's such a good idea to look too deeply in events in the stories for political or social meaning, or for clues about Enid Blyton's own political outlook. Very likely events in the stories were decided upon based on the needs of the plot rather than because they agreed with the author's politics.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have enjoyed Enid's books as they are a darned good read. Forget politics, political correctness and all the other cancers of today, and sit down, open a bag of crisps and a bottle of (ginger) beer and enjoy the story!
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I am sure people on the Forum have a wide range of beliefs and views but we are all
united by Enid's wonderful gifts which take us away from the humdrum and sometimes not very nice
world we exist in.

Long may it continue. We must all pledge to avoid politics and divisions like the plague.
Society Member
Deej

Post by Deej »

Hi MJE

I may be out with some of the information I posted. The main reason why I drew political and social meanings out of the book was because of the title of the thread.

But I agree with Francis. We all love Enid Blyton and her books:)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:I have enjoyed Enid's books as they are a darned good read. Forget politics, political correctness and all the other cancers of today, and sit down, open a bag of crisps and a bottle of (ginger) beer and enjoy the story!
Crisps with Enid Blyton?? Surely an ice-cream or maccaroon would be better :roll:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I haven't had a decent macaroon for years. They are always too brittle nowadays. They should be gooey in the middle, but the last ones I have tried have been hard, like a biscuit. Sadly, I don't like ice-cream. :(
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote: Sadly, I don't like ice-cream. :(
Unless its the Scottish Enid Blyton loving variety. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:I haven't had a decent macaroon for years. They are always too brittle nowadays. They should be gooey in the middle, but the last ones I have tried have been hard, like a biscuit. Sadly, I don't like ice-cream. :(
I think we've had this conversation a long time ago, but I'm not sure I've ever had a macaroon. The only thing I can think that I've had that might have been one had a almond flavour - many years ago.

Probably not a bad thing to not like ice cream, all that fat and sugar can't be good for any one.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Timmy seemed to thrive on Ice Cream - but then he would probably run off any
ill effects. By the way I can't believe Nigel has his tongue in cheek - I always take
his comments as Gospel!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Sadly, I don't like ice-cream. :(
Unless its the Scottish Enid Blyton loving variety. :D
You read between the lines well, John! I am sure I would love the SEBL variety! Francis, I think your tongue is firmly in cheek now! :D
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Nigel said
Francis, I think your tongue is firmly in cheek now!
You might say that but I couldn't possibly comment!
Society Member