Looking for Enid - The mystery of the odd anagram

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Re: The mystery of the odd anagram

Post by Belly »

Thanks, Nigel & Anita. Feeling much better now, a tropical flu virus that floored me for a few days! Felt like I had been run over by a lorry :cry:

Actually Anita, changing the subject, I was just thinking of you as I have just found the entire 1980 TV series 'Barriers' with Benedict Taylor (a first crush of mine :oops: ) on You Tube. It was a great series and perhaps remembered by those of us who were watching the FF on TV around the same time? Think it was shown around teatime on a Sunday, my Mum was a fan and I associate it with my grandparents visiting and afternoon tea (happy tiimes) :D .
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Belly wrote:Actually Anita, changing the subject, I was just thinking of you as I have just found the entire 1980 TV series 'Barriers' with Benedict Taylor (a first crush of mine :oops: ) on You Tube. It was a great series and perhaps remembered by those of us who were watching the FF on TV around the same time?
I don't think I actually watched that series, Belly (despite what Robert Houghton thinks :wink: , I didn't spend my entire childhood in front of the TV :lol:.) The title doesn't ring any bells, anyway. I'll have to check it out on YouTube sometime and see if I remember it (that sounds silly, but I'm sure you know what I mean!)

Glad you're feeling better now!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Thanks to Belly and Rainbow Jude for their enthusiastic comments re Looking For Enid.

Anita has answered Belly's question about the book's ending. I would just add that another reason I mention Enid's titles The Boy Who Came Back and The Man Who Stopped to Help is that Looking For Enid begins with sections that start with 'The boy...' and 'The man...'

When one ends a book it is sometimes hard not to refer back to the beginning of the enterprise. In fact, I believe I may have just made a connection too far at the end of my Evelyn Waugh book by being a little too self-referential. Oh, well, still plenty time to change that particular manuscript.

Now that I've finished with Waugh for a while, it feels right to turn my thoughts back to Blyton again. Later this morning I hope to start a new thread on this forum called 'Peregrine Enid'. I only hope it'll be bonkers enough for Belly!

Looking forward,
Duncan
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol: What an old thread! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Anyone who read in the biographical note of Looking For Enid that I was writing a book on Evelyn Waugh may be interested to know that Evelyn! Rhapsody for an Obsessive Love will be publishd by Beautiful Books in September of this year. Despite the Blyton book selling about 8000 copies, it was a very hard slog to find a publisher to this 'follow up'. Alexander Waugh, Evelyn's grandson and very active on behaf of his grandfather's legacy, loves the book, as does the Secretary of the Evelyn Waugh Society, and I thought that with their enthusiastic endorsements getting a publisher would be easy. Not so! Still, I've got a good one in the end and for that I thank my lucky stars. http://www.beautiful-books.co.uk/books/159-evelyn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if it's just me that admires the work of both of these very different writers!

Another beautiful thing to report. The blog I've been writing about my mother, who has dementia and lives in a care home, has been shortlisted for the Orwell Prize. This is thanks to Kate (who accompanies me on the research trips in both the Enid and the Evelyn books, and who will be known to those of you who have read Looking For Enid). She encouraged me to write the blog for Saga in the first place, and to submit it for the political writing prize, even though its very much politics with a small p.

From this link you shoul be able to get to the blog itself:
http://theorwellprize.co.uk/shortlists/ ... year-2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But that doesn't look as if it'll work, when I Preview it, so you could try 'Visiting Mabel' directly:
http://www.saga.co.uk/health/carers/blo ... rchive.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duncan
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'll have to come back to the links as I haven't time for more than a quick glance at the moment, but congratulations on the Evelyn Waugh book and on having your blog shortlisted for a prize, Duncan!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I read some of the entries in the blog. This will be of value to other people in the same position because it helps to share other people's experiences with this difficult condition. I can identify with it too because it is similar to what I went through a few years ago. I made a few notes at the time, but nothing like a proper blog. Maybe it would have been good to have one.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Like Anita, I will return to your links at a lated date, Duncan. Good to hear of your developments.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

After 3 years (time flies!) I decided it was time for a re-read of “Looking for Enid”. I enjoyed it again and the parts that confused me a bit the first time made more sense this time. It was also interesting to read through this thread again to see what people thought about it.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lenoir wrote:After 3 years (time flies!) I decided it was time for a re-read of “Looking for Enid”. I enjoyed it again and the parts that confused me a bit the first time made more sense this time. It was also interesting to read through this thread again to see what people thought about it.
I've just bought an unread hardback copy off ebay for £1.99 inc delivery!
I too fancy reading it again-I enjoyed reading last time,

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Well,my copy just arrived!I'm really enjoying re-reading it.My book is hardback in pristine condition,excellent value at £1.99 delivered to my door! :D :D

Society Member
Kenneth Yeung

Post by Kenneth Yeung »

Green Hedges wrote:As for Australia. Anyone seen a kangaroo reading a copy?
I bought my copy (the paperback edition) in Collins Booksellers in Shepparton, Victoria, Australia. I had not seen it in any other Australian bookstores. I also bought a Beatrix Potter book that day, The Tale of Tom Kitten. Tom Kitten remains treasured by the recipient.

On the subject of anagrams, we can rewrite Theopilus Goon as 'hie unto hogslop'.
pete9012S

Looking For Enid by Duncan Mclaren

Post by pete9012S »

Duncan has very kindly allowed me to post a few pages from chapter three of his book,In Bourne End from Looking For Enid which I recently re-read as it touches on Old Thatch and may be of interest to those discussing it in the other thread.

As I mentioned to Duncan in email earlier,I don't think the for sale particulars make any mention of the cellar at Old Thatch?

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't recall seeing a mention of a cellar in either listing. It may well have been filled in I suppose. I will have to re-read Looking for Enid at some point.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

not sure if this has been mentioned before - I'm sure it has - but I was interested to read a continuation of Duncan's book in his blog - especially 'Enid's Last Interview' - which made me chuckle as I'm mentioned by name and a certain book about a load of blackberries. :lol:

http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-5/index.html

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member