Classic Author

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Classic Author

Post by Rob Houghton »

To me, Enid HAs to be considered a classic author, because almost all of her contemporaries have now disappeared from the children's departments in book shops (people that were writing similar stories in the 1930's and 1940's) Enid is still widely available in all bookshops. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Robert Houghton wrote:To me, Enid HAs to be considered a classic author, because almost all of her contemporaries have now disappeared from the children's departments in book shops (people that were writing similar stories in the 1930's and 1940's) Enid is still widely available in all bookshops. :D
Good points, Robert! It always annoys me when I can't find Just William books by Richmal Crompton (a great favourite of mine) in bookshops, since in my opinion those books are classics! But there you are, these books according to publishers are 'old' and won't be liked by children :evil: ,which, by the way, is completely wrong since I'm a child (although now approaching the teenage range) and a great admirer of these books!
On the other hand, publishers have often made tampered with Blyton's books, but never considered taking them out of bookshops. :D That's one thing I like of them. :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: since I'm a child (although now approaching the teenage range)
Hmm, getting quite long in the tooth now, eh Phil? :wink:
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:

Sorry, didn't understand your comment. :?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Sorry, didn't understand your comment. :?
Getting long in the tooth is a very well used expression in the U.K that refers to getting old. More often than not it is used in a light hearted manner as is the case here. :)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Public Lending Rights results are out today

http://www.plr.uk.com/mediaCentre/mostB ... uthors.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the link Viv. I was most disappointed when I was Enid's name was so low on the list. Then I saw the final section - so is it official, is she now a 'Classic' author? :D

I obviously need to get out more though, as I only recognised about half a dozen other authors in the most borrowed section. I recognised the names of most of those listed in the Classic section, but have only read about a quarter of those. I've only read 2 of the authors listed in the adult section, and one of those I'll probably never read again.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Many thanks for the link, Viv. Most interesting. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I was disappointed to see Enid number 14. What is wrong with the readers of today. Don't they know a good author anymore!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:What is wrong with the readers of today. Don't they know a good author anymore!
Maybe they've been reading the Independent? :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It's possible that readers are buying Enid Blyton's books rather than borrowing them from the library. After all most of them are still in print. This probably explains why Enid is only placed at 14. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Also, other authors on the list may have more copies of more titles on the shelves. The top "author" is a syndicate writing books under the "Rainbow Magic" name. There are lots of series within that - each consisting of 7 books. Libraries could easily have several of these series (perhaps more than one copy of each) whereas with Blyton they may only have a few key series like the Famous Five and Malory Towers (they're the only ones I remember seeing in my library as a kid).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I was disappointed to see Enid number 14. What is wrong with the readers of today. Don't they know a good author anymore!

8)
It's my feeling that this is the resulting fall-out of events over the last few years

The Enid Film - turned thousands of adults off Blyton. They are then less likely to reccomend he books to kids
Famous Five on the case - would you want to read another one?
Abridged versions - the magic of Blyton's style removed
Pile it high, sell it cheap from the Book People etc. How many books can the average kid read - even if they like reading?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A very interesting list. I'm also intrigued by Enid's position on the Classic Authors list. Second place; better than Dickens, Christie, Orwell etc? Thats a good result even if her position on the childrens list is a bit disappointing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Some of the children's authors on the list are (as far as I'm aware) writers of picture books for very young children, e.g. Julia Donaldson, Mick Inkpen and Janet and Allan Ahlberg, so their work is not in direct competition with books like the Famous Five and Malory Towers. Other writers, like Terry Deary ('Horrible Histories'), are promoted by schools so children would be familiar with their books. And some, like Francesca Simon ('Horrid Henry') and Jacqueline Wilson ('Tracy Beaker' etc.) have had their work turned into television series which are shown regularly and very popular, so again children might choose their books because they're familiar with the characters. Taking all that into account, Enid Blyton is doing pretty well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member