Classic Author

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Classic Author

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've just been having a poke around the internet to find out what position Blyton was with regard to library loans in the UK last year (17th most popular author, incidently)

I then came across this list of most borrowed CLASSIC authors, headed by Roald Dahl. (nb - this is the previous year) Why isn't Blyton listed as a classic author? :evil:

http://www.stockton.gov.uk/citizenservi ... 4/authors/

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Re: Classic Author

Post by Kitty »

It would be interesting to know how they define a "classic author"! The lists are quite strange in places.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've always believed blyton should be regarded as a 'classic' author - but her publishers seem to disagree, as she is never marketed as such.

Surely a children's classic author encapsulates in their stories all of those things most dear to us during our childhoods - evokes a response in children (and adults) at an emotional level. Thus, it's easy to put The secret Garden, Treasure Island, The railway Children and Swallows and Amazons in the realm of 'classic stories', but how does Roald Dahl fit into this in any way better than Enid Blyton? If Dahl's books are included (and they should be,as one of the most popular authors since Blyton) then surely Enid's books (particularly the family stories and Adventure series) should be included.

Probably, once again, its due to the fact that most people outside of these forums only think of Blyton as the author of The Famous Five and Noddy, both of which are apt to be trivialised by the press and the 'powers that be' (whoever they are!). Her other series, such as Adventure, fatty books and Family books, should surely give her a place within the 'classics' category?

The Faraway Tree books must surely be regarded as classics someday soon, if none of the above! :P
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Robert Houghton wrote:Probably, once again, its due to the fact that most people outside of these forums only think of Blyton as the author of The Famous Five and Noddy, both of which are apt to be trivialised by the press and the 'powers that be' (whoever they are!).
Many people people believe what they read in newspapers or see on the television instead of making up their own minds and as such will readily digest the tired old nonsense of Enid Blyton books being sexist, racist and classist. Indeed it frightens me that the most popular newspaper in the UK is a red-top with mostly trivial content but I digress!

I agree that the Adventure series alone would warrant classic status and may I add to that "The Six Bad Boys"? This book was published in an era when juvenile crime was on the increase and films such as "The Blue Lamp" and "Cosh Boy" reflected this.

Going back to the Adventure series, I used to read this at my primary school as we had a couple of older more traditional teachers who would sneak various Blyton books into the school library when the younger members of staff were not looking! I was therefore, able to devour the Adventure series, Six Bad Boys, Secret Seven and also books by Anthony Buckeridge and Richmal Crompton. How I despised the New English Library type of books that some of our more politically minded teachers wanted us to read! They seemed to forget that they were only teaching seven to eleven year olds and not Polytechnic students!

Could it be Enid Blyton's sheer output of books and the fact that she wrote largely for the under twelves meant that she has been denied so called classic status? Perhaps she should be judged primarily by the continuing popularity of her work forty years after her death.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Is there an official definition of "Classic" or is it just opinion? In my opinion Blyton is a classic author but she is certainly overlooked. Could it be because many of her most famous works were written in Series? I do notice that many books regarded as classics are one off stories without sequels, Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe or Great Expectations for example.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

My library has hardly any Blyton books. What they do have some are dropping to pieces.
When I was 9 - 12 years old the library had many Blyton books.
There is always something else new to learn.
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

[post removed]
Last edited by Julian on 16 Jul 2008, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I believe Tony once wrote on the forums that the Indian Subcontinent is a great place to see Blyton fans. Most of the time those who read Blyton don't want to read anything else!! That was the case with me, I never wanted to read anything else - the Other Authors discussions prompted me to try them.

Yet, she is not a 'classic' author even here! :roll:

Society Member
DarrellRivers

Post by DarrellRivers »

By this definition of "classic"
Having lasting significance or worth, enduring - a resounding YES

By this definition of "classic"
Formal, refined and restrained in style - perhaps not
Ming wrote:I believe Tony once wrote on the forums that the Indian Subcontinent is a great place to see Blyton fans. Most of the time those who read Blyton don't want to read anything else!! That was the case with me, I never wanted to read anything else - the Other Authors discussions prompted me to try them.

Yet, she is not a 'classic' author even here! :roll:
Same with me! I've read others (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie, Alfred Hitchcock,Robin Cook, Irwing Wallace, PG Wodehouse, John Grisham....) but nothing beats curling up with a Blyton
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the forum members!
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

For me, Blyton was really a classic author. I've also read many others - Hardy Boys, Three Investigators, Just William, Agatha Christie, J.K. Rowling, and others. But Blyton beats them all.
Come on publishers: market Blyton as a classic author because of her less famous books!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Belly

Post by Belly »

How many of those that 'decide' what makes the list have actually read one of the Adventure books, family books etc?

I wrote about the 'classic' author Enid Blyton for my Common Entrance exams, I don't think it did me any favours! It was frowned on that I was still reading her aged 11 for one thing. The view was her books were poorly written with limited vocabulary etc.

Maybe we need JK Rowling or similar on side to champion Enid so she makes the list. I have a feeling she is widely read in children's literature.
dsr

Post by dsr »

My usual definition of a "classic" book is one which goes on and on describing scenery with not much happening (Tolstoy, Dickens, Hardy etc.) Which isn't really fair, I know, and apologies to anyone who actually likes Dickens!

It's a Stockton Council site - maybe it's not an "official" definition of classic, just the personal views of that particular chief librarian? I certainly wouldn't have included Dahl, and probably not Lee either, as she only wrote one book (though the book is certainly a classic. Am I being illogical?)
DSR
Viv of Ginger Pop

I e-mailed the PLR people about why Dahl was Classic and Blyton wasn't, and this year Enid WAS listed as a classic author - and came straight in at number 2.

I'm looking forward to the day when she is top and what the media will have to say :lol:

Viv
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A dictionary definition of classic - "of literature; resembling in style Greek writers; refined, chaste, famous"! I'm not sure about the first two, although I can't think of anything unrefined or unchaste about the books, but Enid definitely falls into the last category! As a youngster I used to think the classics were any book in which I wasn't the slightest bit interested, having had Austen, Dickens etc. thrust upon me as required reading at secondary school. Consequently it has taken many years to bring me to the conclusion that some "classics" are actually readable!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Daisy wrote: Consequently it has taken many years to bring me to the conclusion that some "classics" are actually readable!
:lol:

Here here!

Viv