Famous Five The Musical

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Have you watched, Famous Five the musical?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 21

Petermax

Re: Famous Five The Musical

Post by Petermax »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I've just started to watch this on You Tube, posted there by Petermax. (Thanks for that Petermax) it's in 8 parts and I'm up to part 5. It's really very good surprisingly.
The Famous Five Musical is best viewed in one go, something that Youtube will not as yet allow. This musical is now long since deleted on DVD and VHS, although there are many copies available on Ebay. My VHS copy cost less than £4.00, including postage. It is certainly a very pleasing adaptation, but it did take me a while to adjust to the concept of a singing George! (I may have already mentioned this elsewhere) Swimming, sailing, fishing, and climbing to the same ability level as a boy is fine, but singing? :wink:

The mispelling of Kirrin Cottage as "Kirren" is a careless error that also took place in a few episodes of the 1970's Famous Five series, is it really so difficult to spell things as they are in the books? :roll:

The pre-war setting is a nice touch despite the fact that the first Famous Five book was published in 1942. None of the Five books published during the war years referred to any armed conflict. Enid Blyton throughout all 21 books portrayed the sort of carefree unsupervised childhood that just may have been possible prior to 1939.

Carefree childhood? We will conveniently overlook the fact that the Five did in fact have fairly frequent dangerous encounters with various members of the criminal fraternity and travelling community! :wink:
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I first watched it, a long time ago, I was possible eight, when I got it out of my local library. I spent most of the time giggling hysterically!

I watched it again a few nights ago, courtsey of Petermax, and found that there were parts I still couldn't watch without falling about. I was a fan of Jon Lee (Julian) in his SClub days and It was hilarious for me to watch really! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I was very lucky today, and amongst a number of other lovely Christmas presents, I also received a DVD of Smuggler's Gold. I have it on VHS, but haven't been able to watch it for a long time.

It's a second hand copy, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works ok. :)
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

It's also on YouTube ( well it was fairly recently unless it's been taken down). I watched it after Anita told me what it was called.
Society Member