Famous Five Cartoons

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Famous Five Cartoons

Post by Lucky Star »

Hi Gang, there is an article in The Independent (UK) newspaper about the proposed new cartoon series of the Famous Five. It mentions our very own Viv of Ginger Pop and quotes quite a bit from her website. There is also a quote from Tony.

Here (if it works) is the link to the online article.

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/art ... 54.ece[url]

What does everyone think? Is there a real danger that the original Blyton books could go out of print? That really would be a tragedy. I doubt I will watch the cartoons regardless. I am very much a traditionalist, the 1978 series of the five is the only Blyton film/Tv adaptation I have ever watched and that only because I was 11 years old and thought it was great. Otherwise I am only disappointed by such programmes and I agree with Tony that we will probably end up with a Scooby Doo type show.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I find it worrying. I hope that it doesn't mean the original books will go out of print. I doubt the cartoon will have much at all in common with the books themselves.
As I've said before, I'm another traditionalist and I will not be watching the cartoon as I think it will make me angry. I've never watched any of the TV adaptations and like to preserve my own imagined images of the Famous Five in their historical context. I never had any trouble understanding the historical differences as a child in the 80s and think that the publishers underestimate children when they say they need to update everything.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Hi Folks

As I believe Tony has mentioned, my computer has gone into meltdown, and I'm borrowing the parents one....

The Independent article was OK, what has made me mad is The Times today saying that the Five threw stones at Gypsies. My selective memory can't recall this - can anyone else?

If this was not in the books, I think it needs challenging, if not by the Enid Blyton Society then by Ginger Pop since Blyton is too readily stereotyped.

I had a visit from John Collins from Chorion last month to the shop. He has assured me that the current Classic editions of FF will remain in print, and furthermore proper Noddy will be back in print for the 60th anniversary. I was on cloud 9 over this, and was going to write about it but then the technology (and web designer) went AWOL .....

Very best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Unfortunately we now have two threads going on this - you obviously didn't notice the one that I started yesterday and sadly I lack the technical know-how to combine them.

So far it has only been the broadsheets and a few radio stations that have latched onto this, but I guess there is plenty more to come. As this series is only very loosely connected to the Famous Five (cashing in on the Blyton name!) I don't believe that it will effect the original books in any way, as all the stories will be completely new. Time will tell.

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On the bright side, the Independent, Times etc. giving large spreads on Enid Blyton characters. Surely great publicity for our beloved authoress - also giving us an option to criticise.

Viv, the only incident I can recall is Jo throwing (or spitting) damson-stones at the Five on Kirrin beach. Dick and Jo then had a spitting damson-stones contest to see who could spit the farthest.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Unfortunately we now have two threads going on this - you obviously didn't notice the one that I started yesterday and sadly I lack the technical know-how to combine them.
Oops, Sorry. I just plunged straight in and started a new thread without even checking. :oops: :oops:

The story is certainly not going away, today the Daily Telegraph has an article and even a piece in their editorial. I actually like this article better than the one in the Independent yesterday. Here are the links

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... five05.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main ... dl0503.xml
Tony Summerfield

I wonder what you might think of The Guardian article then!!!!!
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/joh ... t_753.html

I just hope that sometimes these journalists read some of the comments on the trash that they write - this man sounds far too interested in his own opinions to pay any attention to what anyone else says though.

Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Trust the old Grauniad to trundle along with another load of leftist drivel. I really feel sorry for these journalists, who despite feeling they need to promote their smug, seniority, have to belittle literature (or anything else, for that matter) loved by millions, in order to sound and look intellectual.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that John Crace feels the need to write an article on an authoress who is so obviously crass and not worth the typewriter ribbons that she used some sixty years later.

Not bad for being a crap writer, eh?

I hope I'm still remembered in sixty years time, and have articles written about me in national dailies.

In the meantime, I have added my own comment at the foot of the article.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I couldn't be bothered to comment, Nigel, I felt it had all been said - as someone pointed out his argument was a total paradox anyway.

I did wonder whether to invite John Crace to speak at the Enid Blyton Day on the merits of the Famous Five, but he would probably fear for his own safety and turn it down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You are quite correct, Tony. I don't know why I bothered - the best way to treat such material is to ignore it.

Interestingly, on a Channel 4 "Best of kids tv" prog last night, Playschool and Playaway were featured. It was said that there was much criticism when those programmes were axed - mainly from parents. The presenter said that parents wanted their children to watch the programmes that they themselves watched as a child - not necessarily what the kids themselves wanted to see; therefore implying that Playschool was seen as a nostalgia thing.

Echoes of Enid Blyton? Do we just want to see the books as we ourselves remember them? Do we expect our children to enjoy the same books that we did as kids - written in the language of the 40s and 50s? Hardly classic literature in the vein of Dickens or Austen that needs to be preserved.

Or does it?

I think I know the answer, but is it the right answer?
Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Combining them is pretty easy - I mod a forum that uses this software. Shall I talk you through it?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Playschool has never been off-air here in Australia and every generation of kids loves it - you should hear the cheer when the presenters appear at live roadshows. To preschoolers, the Playschool presenters are like footballers or popstars!

It's obviously an Australian version of Playschool, but has a few things I remember from the British version - Big Ted, Jemima and Humpty, and round, square and arch windows. Apparently, while the presenters change as the years go by, the format does not.

It is a brilliant program. It informs children while entertaining them.

The British could do worse than buying and showing our Playschool.