Famous Five TV Series 2023 - 2024, BBC

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: Famous Five adaptation on BBC

Post by Bertie »

TheAngryPixie wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 08:58 So ... did anybody watch it?
Yeah, I watched it.
I forgot about it live, but saw it last night on the BBC iPlayer.

It was watchable as a child's adventure film, and I'm glad they hadn't brought it up to date and the settings were picturesque enough and it wasn't particularly 'preachy' as I expected - but I didn't think too much of it, really, from an Enid / FF point of view. They only kept the very basics of the original - the names / relationships of the characters, and the basic plot idea of the first book (looking for some kind of Treasure in competiton against a bad guy who might also buy the island).

Other than that, they took a lot of liberties with the rest of it, and there wasn't (m)any recogniseable scenes / dialogue from the book. They built it very much around George. With Julian taking more of a backseat to George's bravery and Dick's brains (he's now a nerd). And Anne was quite annoying and whiny in the first half, especially.

Earlier in the year I saw some of the Indiana Jones films, and re-watched a kids adventure film that I remembered from my youth - The Goonies. And this felt more in their style than the FF. It was as if they wanted to write more of a Goonies style film, but used the FF characters to be able to set it in an older period free of technology, mobile phones, etc.

I'll watch the second one, but I'm not expecting to see or hear much that's recogniseable from the FF books which is a shame.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've seen The Curse of Kirrin Island too, and will throw out some thoughts. Although I'm not summarising the storyline, my post is bound to touch on a few plot points so it's best avoided if you don't want any spoilers!

Overall, I find it enjoyable. It has the right kind of feel for a Saturday teatime programme based on characters familiar to several generations, being a story of rural splendour and high excitement with a hint of nostalgia - something for the whole family to wallow in together. I do have some reservations though, which I'll come to.

I love the idyllic locations (Kirrin Cottage is wonderful, externally and internally). Many of the sets and props are a feast for the eyes (talking of feasts, at one point George is served the biggest hunk of cake I've ever seen!) and I like the casting. Dick is presented as an earnest boy with a head stuffed full of facts about history - an unusual portrayal, but it works, and his knowledge comes in very useful when pieces of information need to be imparted to young viewers (e.g. about the Knights Templar).

The tale of Timmy's arrival is an integral part of the plot and the dog is adorable, reminding me of Eileen Soper's illustrations.

Jack Gleeson plays a dastardly villain with immense gusto - deliberately over the top but truly creepy. He's one of those mad, power-crazed individuals that are found in so many children's dramas, and there's a supernatural element at the end which I found too far-fetched, as well as a bit of slapstick (which mainly involves another villain, I think - I can't quite recall). All this is par for the course as far as children's TV is concerned, but Jack Gleeson pulls it off so well that I find him most entertaining to watch. I agree that he's a fantastic actor, TheAngryPixie, and I was sorry when his character in Game of Thrones (Joffrey) met a sticky end!

I'll continue in another post as I've lost long posts before by pressing the wrong thing!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Bertie wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 11:33Earlier in the year I saw some of the Indiana Jones films, and re-watched a kids adventure film that I remembered from my youth - The Goonies. And this felt more in their style than the FF. It was as if they wanted to write more of a Goonies style film, but used the FF characters to be able to set it in an older period free of technology, mobile phones, etc.
I'd agree with that, Bertie. The five German Famous Five films (released from 2012 to 2018) had some similar elements, except that they were set in modern times. I can't remember how they dealt with technology such as mobile phones.

Bertie wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 11:33...there wasn't (m)any recogniseable scenes / dialogue from the book.
The programme-makers do seem to have settled for dialogue that is neither unmistakably old-fashioned nor glaringly modern. George calls her parents "Mum" and "Dad", and a few expressions strike me as oddly out of era - especially "Come on, guys!", "Guys, I think I've found something!", "No way!" and "He has this creepy tattoo on his wrist." Personally, I miss the old-fashioned vocabulary and phrasing.

As well as nods to adventure classics like The Goonies and the Indiana Jones films, there are nods in the direction of The Island of Adventure and Swallows and Amazons - and even to the GWR adverts featuring the Famous Five. I like little details like that.

I can't say I'm fond of the theme tune, which sounds like a vapid pop song of the 80s or 90s. There's nothing 1930s about it at all!

The Curse of Kirrin Island is successful in conveying a feeling of togetherness, exploration and intrigue, and I'll be watching the next episode, Peril on the Night Train, when it comes out. It goes without saying that the books are the real deal and always will be, but I find it interesting to see what spin-offs and projects they inspire over the years.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Good points, Anita. Both the positives and negatives.
Yeah, the dialogue did seem a bit of a betwixt and between middle ground. And the theme tune / opening credits certainly didn't create a 1930's / 40's feel. And I agree about the supernatural element - again, that was more like an Indiana Jones storyline than FF.

Re: the slapstick moment. That felt a nod towards 'Home Alone'.
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

I quite liked the film .some was filmed in Gloucester cathedral and in South Wales . Let's see what the next one is like in the new year.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I didn't remember it was on, but from the sounds of it, it was exactly like I thought it would be. A good general children's entertainment, with little in common with the books Enid Blyon wrote.

Originally I was supposed to be out all day yesterday, so wasn't expecting to see it anyway. As it turns out, I was here to watch it, but not sure my headache would have coped with it. ;)

Maybe if I can convince myself to watch it as just a general children's programme, I might try and see it at some point, but probably only if there's absolutely nothing else to do. ;)
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, I think that's a good description of it, Katharine.

A perfectly fine 'children's film' for those who would watch and enjoy that type of thing whether it had an Enid connection or not. But for those only watching it because it was a FF story, then it didn't bear much resemblance to them and felt more like a variety of various kids / adventure stories rather than anything particularly specific to FF / Enid beyond the use of the names.

I found it watchable from a 'general children's film with a hint of the FF' viewpoint. And I'll watch the next one - though it's title 'Peril on the Night Train' doesn't sound very FF or Enid related. The 'train thriller' is a common enough storyline in films, and Enid's
characters do have plenty of train journeys, but I don't remember any peril on any of them and the only 'night train' I remember is when Bill takes the children to Scotland in The Sea of Adventure. Hopefully it'll at least be about a genuine FF adventure, even if they've switched locations to an overnight train.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

It was interesting, I'm glad to have seen it. I don't like that it wasn't made clear that it was a new story/interpretation rather than a genuine E.B story. I find the supernatural/ creepy angle weird ( reminds me of the New Zealand stories of the Secret Series) why? e.g. The Secret Island . I can cope with the "colour blind" casting- but the pantomime baddies!? Why do they need to be so farsical/pantomime?
Does anyone know when the next episode is to be screened?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Farcical baddies have been a staple of children's drama for decades (think of the Children's Film Foundation films, for example) but the idea does get done to death.

Bertie wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 16:22...I'll watch the next one - though it's title 'Peril on the Night Train' doesn't sound very FF or Enid related. The 'train thriller' is a common enough storyline in films, and Enid's characters do have plenty of train journeys, but I don't remember any peril on any of them and the only 'night train' I remember is when Bill takes the children to Scotland in The Sea of Adventure. Hopefully it'll at least be about a genuine FF adventure, even if they've switched locations to an overnight train.
Five Go Off to Camp has "spook trains" which run at night, though I've no idea whether anything of that sort will feature in Peril on the Night Train.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, that's a good point about the 'spook trains', Anita.
I was thinking of them traveling on the night train in keeping with many 'train thrillers', but there's always the chance they're meaning spook trains and keeping close to Enid's original story. I hope so, anyway.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Even if Five Go Off to Camp is used in some way, it seems highly likely that elements of classic "train thrillers" will feature heavily too.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Now I'm having visions of Murder on the Kirrin Bay Express :shock: :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

I watched it ... it was hit and miss.

Positives
it was quite well filmed and well shot, and the cast seemed solid enough. I wasn't really that bored, so that's a positive

Timmy was cute

Negatives

It was Famous Five in name only. Why not just adapt a book again? The books are exciting enough without throwing in Indiana Jones style traps and National Treasure style clues to decipher and a boring pantomime villaine.

The dialogue: Poor, too modern--I get it is difficult to have old-timey dialogue without it sounding like a parody "spiffing chaps! You really a brick! that was a wizard lunch of tongue! etc. But at least make it not modern.

The villain was awful. Jack Gleeson was great in Game of Throne, but here he was a goofy pantomime villain. Absolutely awful and just hamming it up.

No humour -- Blyton's books are full of fun moments, they missed so many opportunities with Timmy doing something silly, Dick goofing off and Quentin's forgetfulness.

Kirrin Island was bland and boring. Like, come on--where were the rabbits scampering around! Where was the wreck! Where were the Jackdaws in the tower!

Julian was completely sidelined -- did he do anything? He could have been removed altogether and the film would be the same. Same as Anne, actually. This was the Dick and George show.

The Five were utter idiots "Hmmm, we're looking for hidden treasure and the sketchiest, skeeziest man in the world with a villain's moustache has arrived and told us to go down a narrow tunnel into a creepy crypt. That doesn't seem suspicious at all! In you get, Anne!"

Why is George Kirrin now George Bernard? What a pointless change that was.

Too long -- there was no reason for this to be 90 minutes. 60 would have sufficed, and cut some of the pointless filler. Like most of the scene at the mansion.

Fanny and Quentin were idiots -- This bugged me, so they immediately believe the skeeziest man in the world over George. Ok, fair enough ... but, but BUT... Fanny THEN goes on to say something about George and the gang being in danger/risking their lives? Huh? If she admits they were in danger, then why are they STILL going along with the skeeziest man in the world's scheme and selling the island to him?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Regarding Jack Gleeson hamming it up as a pantomime villain (Wentworth), he'd clearly been directed to play the character that way. I agree that a more subtle portrayal might well have been more interesting, but he does traditional villainy with such finesse. There's a moustache-twirling baddie in one of the GWR Famous Five adverts (Five Go On a Great Western Adventure) so the character of Wentworth may well be yet another nod in the direction of the adverts - as well as being a tribute to classic villains of film and stage. It's nods like these that make me think the next episode, Peril on the Night Train, is likely to pay homage to classic train thrillers as Bertie suggested.

I'd prefer to see a less obvious type of baddie in the next two episodes, though the ending of the first one seems to leave it open for Wentworth to return. He says something about looking to the future and seeing "nothing but glittering opportunities." If that means we haven't seen the last of him, the word "glittering" might indicate that a diamond or diamonds (or some kind of gemstone) is to feature in the next installment. I may be reading too much into it though!

Wentworth provides a few chuckles but, as you say, The Curse of Kirrin Island is rather lacking when it comes to the gentle humour and good-natured banter that is typically found in Enid Blyton's books.

It would be odd for Quentin to have Kirrin as a surname because we're told that his father won Kirrin Island as a prize in a card game. Even in the books, it's peculiar for Quentin to have Kirrin as a surname considering that it's his wife's family who have a long connection with the area, and who own Kirrin Island. Going with the name Barnard avoids the anomalies, even though Enid Blyton only ever uses that name in Five Get Into a Fix.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

TheAngryPixie wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 18:38The dialogue: Poor, too modern--I get it is difficult to have old-timey dialogue without it sounding like a parody "spiffing chaps! You really a brick! that was a wizard lunch of tongue! etc. But at least make it not modern.
I'd have preferred the dialogue to be of the period too - not liberally peppered with slang, but giving a flavour of the times.

We've recently discussed modern fiction, and how much of it is set in the past (or in a fantasy world) - thereby avoiding the problems of modern technology. That applies to many of the books by current children's authors such as Lesley Parr, Judith Eagle, A. M. Howell, Phil Earle, Natasha Farrant, Hilary McKay, Lucy Strange and Emma Carroll. Having set their books in the past, the characters' dialogue reflects the period. If children are able cope with that in a book, surely they can cope with it in a TV serial or film!

To give an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about, here's an extract from When the War Came Home by Lesley Parr, set in Wales in the 1920s. It was published by Bloomsbury Children's Books in 2022 and the publishers describe it as being suitable for readers aged about 9 - 11. The main character, a girl named Natty, is in the chip shop, buying cod and chips:

"Duw, now there's a swish coat. New, is it?" she says, using tongs to pick up the cod in batter and plonk it on top of the steaming chips.

"Yes," I say, smoothing my hand over the collar, careful not to touch it with the greasy fingers that picked up the chip. "For my birthday."

"Well you're a lucky dab." She smiles. "How's your mam?"

"Busy," I say, thinking of all the extra hours she's worked to buy this coat.

"I know that feeling!" She grins, nodding at the queue. "Fourpence please, love." She holds out her plump hand. Chippy Gaynor's whole family is plump; you never go hungry if you have a chip shop. "Your poor mam though. Gets his money's worth out of those factory girls, Litton does. Slave driver, he is."

I pay, thank her and rush home, holding the fat, hot packet under my nose, breathing in newspaper and salt and vinegar. Fridays are the best days.
There are things there that may be completely new to a young reader, but so what? Reading is an enriching process and it's good to ponder and learn. A few points:

Many readers outside Wales may not understand the word "Duw", which is Welsh for "God", but they'll realise that it's a Welsh exclamation of sorts. It adds a note of authenticity without it being necessary to know the exact meaning (though it can always be looked up, of course!)

Even at my age I've never come across "Well you're a lucky dab" before, but it seems to mean much the same as "Well you're a lucky thing" and I'm delighted to have learnt a new expression.

Readers who live in areas where "mum" is used will become familiar with the term "mam" (if they haven't encountered it before), adding to their understanding of different dialects.

"Fourpence..." Ah yes - old currency. I've always thought it was a mistake to change the money to decimal currency in Enid Blyton books. Children will readily understand that money hasn't always been the same across the centuries and decades, and may well find it fascinating.

"Chippy Gaynor" - Child readers, especially from outside Wales, may not realise that this naming device is typical of traditional Welsh communities (it might also be used elsewhere - I'm not sure). If they go on to read other books set in Wales, or watch TV programmes, they will realise, and will enjoy making the connection. Even if they don't, they'll appreciate the novelty of "Chippy Gaynor".

"She holds out her plump hand. Chippy Gaynor's whole family is plump..." It's strange to see this when words like "plump" and "fat" have been removed from some traditional children's books (Fatty has survived but his name now refers only to his initials and not to his weight).

"Gets his money's worth out of those factory girls, Litton does. Slave driver, he is." That captures perfectly the phrasing and rhythm of English as spoken in Wales.

"...breathing in newspaper..." If young readers didn't already know, they'll learn that sheets of newspaper were often used for wrapping fish and chips.

As I said, if children can cope with vocabulary and phrasing from the past (and with diverse dialects and unfamiliar references) when reading books, there's no reason why that should be any different when it comes to TV serials and films.

Society Member