From the 70s TV series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

From the 70s TV series

Post by Debbie »

I saw this pointed out on a Dark is Rising group I'm in:

The book cover of one of The Dark is Rising books uses one of the photos from the FF 70s TV series. I don't know how to put an image on here (sorry), but if you follow this link it shows the cover:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... egUIARC6Ag

Apologies if this has already been seen.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: From the 70s TV series

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Gosh, how odd! I have a paperback copy of The Dark is Rising but it's not that particular edition.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Very unusual - did the artist just come across the film stills, and did anyone ask Southern TV or its successor-station (STV was replaced in the 1980s by a new franchise, I think) if it was OK? Normally publishers are cautious about using old photos from other books or TV series lest any owners of the copyright go after them for royalties! (But would a blurred montage of part of a TV 'still' as part of a larger , mostly artist-created cover count as 're-use'? And who would own any rights when the TV company closed?)

The image of the children at the top of a stone wall looks to me like the shot of the Five climbing over the stone wall outside the 'isolated barn' where they are to stay the night in Hike Together, before the night-time scene where 'Dirty Dick's convict friend passes the secret message to Dick by mistake. That was filmed at Lodge Farm near Sowley, just down the road from Newlands and the Secret Trail site, and Gary, Adrian, Oliver and I took a look at the location in June - but the wall was out of sight behind the barn as seen from the road and the hedge has grown up too much to get a photo from the other side.
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I was also wondering if the main figure was also a still from a different TV show-anyone identify it?
I wondered about The Tomorrow People, but came to the conclusion that it wasn't.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Hello Debbie and all,

I've been trying to get back to this interesting thread, I knew I had seen the photo that appears to be the 'inspiration' for the book cover. I thought it might have been at Lepe but it looks almost certain to be Bolton's Bench, as the children are dressed as for Mystery Moor I think and the glimpse of foliage behind looks right.

The image hosting site is down at the moment, and I am having trouble opening the pages that carry these images ( as I am a foreigner!! ) but this will hopefully work ... I assume it is being used as an image on BritBox UK.

The children are all looking gorgeous especially Gary.

https://static.bb-static.com/shain/v1/d ... 271453.jpg
timv

Post by timv »

Great picture! From the children's dress and the gorse bushes around them, probably the top of the 'sandpit' at Bolton's Bench, about 200 yards East of the junction of Beaulieu Rd (the road from Lyndhurst to Yew Tree Heath and the main Mystery Moor sites) with the main Lyndhurst to Southampton road. (This is the edge of a ridge of sandy ground at the top of BB and there's a wide and level grassy walk behind where the children are lying, which you can't see in the shots.) There is a carpark and level area of ground below the sandpit so the camera crew could park and get multiple shots easily, and it's close to the Parkhill Hotel where the children stayed during series 1 filming so shots could be taken after a day's Mystery Moor filming. The shot of the small aircraft flying the packages of drugs over the Moor in MM (actually a model aircraft) was taken very close to this, as were the shots of Sniffer meeting the Five.
Society Member