Antiques Roadshow - Enid Blyton's Magazine Competition

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Antiques Roadshow - Enid Blyton's Magazine Competition

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Boatbuilder (in another thread) wrote:I'm watching the Antiques Roadshow on BBC1 and there is a lady on there with Enid Blyton memorabilia.

About 38 minutes into the program if you missed and watch on iPlayer.
Hope you don't mind but I thought this deserved a thread of its own, John (Boatbuilder)!

There's a link to the programme here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... athedral-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lady has two soft toys (Mrs. Rabbit and Simple Simon) which she says she made as a child for an Enid Blyton's Magazine competition in 1959. She states that the rabbit won first prize (£10) and Simple Simon won second prize (£5). We also see a photo showing her as leader of an Enid Blyton's Magazine Club, and two letters written to her by Enid Blyton.

I was intrigued as I remembered reading about an Enid Blyton's Magazine competition which invited children to send in any kind of work they were good at - sewing, painting, writing, model-making, etc. It seems likely that the competition for which the lady made the soft toys was the one whose results were given in the following issue (Enid Blyton's Magazine Volume 7, Number 10, May 20th 1959):

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enid Blyton says in her editorial that the first prize in the 7-9 age group was awarded for a "beautifully stuffed and dressed rabbit", which sounds like the rabbit seen in the programme. It would be strange if the first and second prize were given to the same person, and Enid tells us that the second prize was awarded for "a very original poem". I can only imagine that the Simple Simon toy perhaps won a prize in a separate competition.

The page of prize-winners names the maker of the stuffed rabbit as "Catherine Porter, age 8, of Oval Primary School, East Croydon".

Of course, it's possible that the lady on The Antiques Roadshow entered a different competition as Enid Blyton held another one in the summer of the same year (the results of that one were never published as the magazine folded). I'm not sure how likely it is that a stuffed rabbit would have won a first prize yet again though!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Antiques Roadshow - Enid Blyton's Magazine Competition

Post by pete9012S »

Really enjoyed that - thank you.

I carried on watching the show and was extremely fascinated by the Chinese goldfish jar until I was severely distracted by a bystanders mauve handbag, amongst other things around the 42:34 minute mark...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Antiques Roadshow - Enid Blyton's Magazine Competition

Post by Daisy »

That's very interesting Anita. I presume the rabbit was not among the toys donated to one of the Homes Enid supported as its maker appears still to have it. It must have been quite a task to return all the non - donated entries to every competitor!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member