Malory Towers TV series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Malory Towers TV series

Post by Rob Houghton »

I read today online that David Walliams is currently producing a 'lavish' TV series (12 parts for CBBC) of the Malory Towers books. Apparently the script 'will stay true to Enid's original books'. Walliams has apparently been very 'hands-on' with the project, being filmed in UK and Canada. Walliams said 'Although its made for kids, adults will enjoy it too. Its perfect family viewing.' 8)

Does anyone know any other details? Will it be set in the 1950's...or modern day?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Malory Towers TV series

Post by Boatbuilder »

I guess this is what you read, Rob. Seems like it's early days yet as the story below claims 'Exclusive' so I guess it's going to be 'Wait and see!'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... ll-screen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Just found it is listed already on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11129816/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with the following links:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... -childrens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://kingbert.co.uk/productions/malory-towers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latter indicates it is set in the 1940's.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks John - yes, I read it on 'The Sun' pages - which for some reason popped up on my mobile phone news feed. (I don't usually have time for 'The Sun'!!) ;-)

I was interested to read the quote in the other link you posted -

"The show has also been given a contemporary twist, telling the story of universal experiences such as shifting cliques, FOMO, bullying, crushes, peer pressure, and self-doubt. The girls keep an eye on each other and, like a family, are forever connected by their shared experiences".

From what I recall, this is hardly 'a contemporary twist' - as all of those themes feature in the original books! They might not be called the same things (FOMO, or 'crushes') but they are all in the originals somewhere.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The train station scenes were shot at Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway, down here in Cornwall.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chris_jr
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door, Secret7, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Kit and Peter of Secret 7

Post by Chris_jr »

That's cool, Julie.

Sometimes you get the feeling people feel the need to show what are seen as contemporary virtues in a new production whereas as you say they were always in there from day one.

I don't get it.
"The eternal boy" tm
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd seen articles saying CBBC were making a Malory Towers programme but this is the first I've heard that David Walliams is involved. Can't say that fills me with hope! I have nothing against him, I enjoyed Gangsta Granny anyway, but his style/attitude is absolutely nothing like Blyton's.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

It's only his company that is behind the making of it, Fiona. The main production team are

HEAD WRITERS: Rachel Flowerday, Sasha Hails

WRITERS: Kate Hewlett, Richie Conroy, Mark Hodkinson, Julie Dixon, Julia Kent

DIRECTORS: Rebecca Rycroft, Bruce McDonald

PRODUCERS: Grainne McNamara, Jim Corston, Angela Boudreault

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Jo Sargent, Michael Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I was interested to read the quote in the other link you posted -

"The show has also been given a contemporary twist, telling the story of universal experiences such as shifting cliques, FOMO, bullying, crushes, peer pressure, and self-doubt. The girls keep an eye on each other and, like a family, are forever connected by their shared experiences".

From what I recall, this is hardly 'a contemporary twist' - as all of those themes feature in the original books! They might not be called the same things (FOMO, or 'crushes') but they are all in the originals somewhere.
I had to look up "FOMO", which apparently means "fear of missing out". As you say, Rob, the original books deal with all those issues! I'm glad that the series is going to be a period piece - it sounds promising.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: As you say, Rob, the original books deal with all those issues! I'm glad that the series is going to be a period piece - it sounds promising.
Yes - I think this is the thing that makes me feel it sounds promising - that its not being set in modern day but the times it should be set. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

This sounds really interesting! I shall wait eagerly to see how they approach it; hopefully the sheer escapism of it mixed with the up-to-date issues of school life might trigger a lot of interest. The locations used will be intriguing too.

If it takes off, it could give the relevant TV channel commissioners confidence to try out some more Blyton books - it'll show (as the MT play has already done) that Enid Blyton stories are not just full of Comic Strip-style crime cliches and upper-class kids tackling working-class and foreign villains. Personally, I think a one-off drama could be done of 'Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm' /'Six Cousins Again' (which has out-of-touch spoilt urban kids learning about Nature plus Rose the hopeless mother and more differently-brought-up teens learning to respect each other as in MT) or 'House At The Corner' (unconfident Lizzie, bragging beautiful and over-confident Pam, and madcap joker and semi-bully Tony) as these all touch on eternal problems of growing up, family life etc. Then we could have Enid's reputation as 'an author of social/ personal development' properly rehabilitated!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I too would love to see the Six Cousins books televised, Tim. They contain plenty of drama and conflict but also scenes of great warmth and humour. The film Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, set during the Second World War, had elements that reminded me of Enid Blyton's Six Cousins books and it was beautifully filmed.
timv wrote:Then we could have Enid's reputation as 'an author of social/ personal development' properly rehabilitated!
Hear, hear!

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I have thought, for oh so many years, that the Six Cousins books would win over audiences-adult and child- if they were released as films.
Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I look forward to this series (even though I'm not exactly a member of the target audience).

The writers seem very experienced and hopefully it will attract a new readership to EB's books.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

According to Tara Conlan in The Guardian, the TV adaptation of Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series is to be made available on iPlayer a fortnight earlier than planned, as a morale boost while we're dealing with the spread of the coronavirus and the accompanying restrictions. What a wonderful tribute to Enid! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... adaptation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When Enid Blyton wrote the schoolgirl series Malory Towers after the second world war she injected tales of hope and camaraderie into it to reflect a Britain coming together after a time of crisis.

Now the BBC hopes its modern adaptation of the boarding school adventures of 12-year-old Darrell Rivers will do the same and it has brought the programme forward by a fortnight to Monday as a boost for children missing their final week of school because of the coronavirus.

Society Member