The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Yan

Post by Yan »

petermax wrote: How long did it take to train Toddy (his real name) to do that I wonder? I would love to see the outakes!
I think Toddy was a real well trained dog. If he jumped down sometimes, surely that was because Michele could not balance him perfectly. So first of all it was a hard job for Michele, I believe.

But I would love to see some outtakes, too! Not only from this scene but from all the series. But I´m afraid that no outtakes do exist anymore. :cry:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Toddy was no stranger to film work, having starred in The Railway Children in 1975.

Apparently in the title sequence there were sausages up Michele's top to encourage him to jump up...
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

George@Kirrin wrote:Toddy was no stranger to film work, having starred in The Railway Children in 1975.

Apparently in the title sequence there were sausages up Michele's top to encourage him to jump up...
I didn't realise that Toddy was in the film of the Railways children, although a lover of old kids tv/films etc and it being on every christmas, I've only ever watched it once!
Now I know that good old Toddy was a star in it, me thinks that its stime to maybe get a copy on DVD!

Lovely to read all the funny mistakes, I've noticed alot, but not watched the vids for awhile now, sounds silly but since I heard about Michele's passing I feel too sad too, but I guess she'd not want me to let my love of it go and would be proud and pleased she is so well loved and I must say appreciated for her work.
Its the same with Worzel Gummidge, with Charlotte Coleman who played the little girl Sue, she died in 2001 I think it was or 02 and she was only early 30's bad asthma attack, she's a big favourite of mine and sadly missed as she was a great actress, but feel sad every time I watch Gummidge when I know she's not here anymore.

Anyway best go, love these forums, thought I was the only mad 70's series fan till I came here a few months back!
By the way does any of you like Worzel gummidge, filmed the next year (s) after the FF and also used alot of the same locations.
The famous five will be part of my life forever!!!!!
dsr

Post by dsr »

There's no need to worry about a dog Timmy's size running alongside the bikes. A friend of mine had a big border collie, and used to go on 20-mile bike rides with the dog running along; when they got home, the dog was still leaping about asking for more.

(Mind you, it wouldn't apply to a greyhound. If you take one of them for a five mile walk, you'll be carrying it home!)
DSR
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I am very relieved, I had no idea that dogs had so much stamina! Nice to know that no canine cruelty was taking place. Timmy riding pillion in the 70s series is a classic though, very cool indeed.

Worzel Gummidge! An all time favourite of mine and filmed in my home county of Hampshire, as was the FF series. Southern Television certainly produced some wonderful programmes before losing its franchise to brash newcomer Television South in 1981/82.

The demise of Charlotte Coleman was indeed untimely. She went on make her mark in Marmalade Atkins, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, Four Weddings and a Funeral and numerous other parts.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And not let us forget the great man himself, Jon Pertwee. A great actor, a great man, a great scarecrow and a great Doctor!
Society Member
Yan

Post by Yan »

Here is another funny little mistake from "Five run away together":

When George and Rogers go to Kirrin Station to get the three others, their car has a number which starts with "PNO".

Some seconds later when George cries "Stop!" the car´s number suddenly begins with "YHJ".

When they arrive at Kirrin Cottage it´s "PNO" again. :wink:
KarenW

Post by KarenW »

A little digression and I could be wrong because I'm going purely from memory but .... wasn't one of these cars also used in 'The Sweeney'?
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

In Five go to Demon's Rocks...No wonder Tinker couldn't get the key to open the door to the lighthouse - he didn't turn it in the lock!
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Lucky Star »

Not a mistake as such but I've just rewatched Five on a Hike Together and realised that NEVER in the history of rowing can there have been such a display as the five make on their raft. :D The thing is visibly sinking under the weight and the splashing and flailing that they do could not have moved it more than about two feet. Great scene from one of my fave episodes but I did have to grin at their rowing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

That lake scene in Five on a Hike Together was a violation of maritime law! How did that raft stay afloat and how did the Five keep their balance? I imagine that this would have taken quite a few takes and presumably there were rescue boats on standby. At least they were wearing lifejackets.

Another amusing waterborne scene is in Five on Kirrin Island where George is rowing her boat but can barely make the oars touch the water, let alone have any propelling effect!
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

They asked vus if we could ride bikes, climb hills, ride horses, swing on ropes but no one *ever* asked "can any of you row a boat". I think over time, they regretted not checking that first...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Did they ask if you could act?

Only kidding! Image
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The "Miscellaneous Blyton" thread about rowing a boat has reminded me once more of the nautical scenes in the 77/78 series. Not the rowing, we've already covered that, but the lifejackets.

The scenes where the cast are wearing lifejackets have always amused me owing to the fact that they appeared to be over inflated almost to bursting point and were a hinderance to free movement. Was this a safety requirement for child actors only I wonder? In "Five on Kirrin Island" Sue Best is clearly seen to be without a buoyancy aid as she and the Five row to Kirrin Island.

Or were the lifejackets for the purpose of setting a good example to a young audience? I remember the controversey about the the opening scenes featuring Jenny Thanisch riding a pony without a hard hat, the equestrian community were livid!
Yan

Post by Yan »

Interesting little fact:
The front of the store where George buys the ice-cream for Anne and Dick in "Five go off in a caravan" (I think pinkmoon found it some months ago), also appears in the episode "Five on Kirrin Island": Watch the scene when Curton and Rogers are sitting in the beer garden. When Curton is asking: "How is Quentin, I haven´t seen him recently", the same store can be seen in the background. :wink:

This was not found by me but by Felix Keil (thanks!).