The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by number 6 »

Not sure, but I think the Latin name of the Peacock butterfly describes something or someone from Greek (I Think!) Mythology. I could be quite wrong, of course! I did find out a bit about British butterflies in my younger years when I first started working as a full time Conservationist, but all that info is very sketchy now. :|
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I think Pete was referring to the term 'butterfly' rather than any one particular species as he put the word in 'commas'. Maybe this will give some idea.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/butterfly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Having just looked it up, I see the peacock butterfly's scientific name is Aglais io. I remember from a story book I had years ago (not one of Enid's!) that Io in Greek mythology was a mortal with whom Zeus fell in love, so he changed her into a cow to hide her from his wife Hera. But Hera became suspicious and sent the giant Argos to guard Io so that Zeus couldn't get to her. Argos had 100 eyes and only half of them slept at a time, so Zeus defeated him by sending the messenger god Hermes to Argos to lull all his eyes to sleep with singing and playing and then cut off his head. The version I read didn't say what happened to Io after that, but Hera put the 100 eyes of Argos into the tail of her pet peacock, so there's the connection with the peacock and hence the butterfly, in a roundabout way. I'd have thought it would have been more logical to name the butterfly after Argos, not Io, but there we are... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Boatbuilder wrote:I think Pete was referring to the term 'butterfly' rather than any one particular species as he put the word in 'commas'. Maybe this will give some idea.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/butterfly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I was Boatbuilder. Thank you for that interesting link too.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

My pleasure, Pete. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Boatbuilder wrote:I think Pete was referring to the term 'butterfly' rather than any one particular species as he put the word in 'commas'. Maybe this will give some idea.

Yes, I suddenly realised what Pete was referring to shortly after my last post! It wouldn't have mattered anyway, cos I didn't know the answer..without looking it up, of course! :D
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

After watching "Five go down to the Sea" I have finally been able to check all the special moments and little mistakes mentioned in this thread! It has been actually fun to see them all! I love it, especially the time when Anne (Jennifer) had to pretend she was scared of heights :lol: and Dick (Gary) taking the opposite role. That was funny :wink:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
MichaelMeyer
Favourite character: The mix of all of them

Post by MichaelMeyer »

I never watched the series.
But now I have to. Today I watched this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE7J6ha ... U&index=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On 6:05 you can see a man behind the horse. Either he prevents the horse from eating the children or he is the microfone man :)
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Oh he's meant to be there, he's just one of the people working at the stables :D
MichaelMeyer

Post by MichaelMeyer »

What a pitty. I liked the idea of evil creatures eating children :D

Do you think it is worth to buy the series on DVD? I think the quality on youtube is not that good.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It's definitely worth buying the DVD box-set, Michael. The picture is far clearer than the old VHS tapes posted on YouTube, plus there's bonus material on the box-set, too. This includes an interview with Gary, Marcus, Jennifer and Gail Renard (Scripts). :D
MichaelMeyer

Post by MichaelMeyer »

Wow, that sounds great. I have to get this set :)
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

In Five Go to Mystery Moor I noticed too the man behind the horse. He looks like the same man that appears later in the episode at 16:30

At 5:34 there is a thud, like someone has dropped something in the stable. Don’t think it would be an intentional part of the filming sequence.

At 13:40 George almost laughs when Julian makes his comment about something funny going on. :wink:

I thought the character of Sniffer looked the part but his voice (accent) was wrong for the part.

Not being negative about the program - I love it! It’s quaint and I like the way things were filmed back then.

In Five Go Down to the Sea there was a discussion up-thread about the scene with Julian and the head of Clopper when the Barnies were leaving. I noticed too that you can see the film crew running alongside the bus! 20:50.

The timestamps are from the YouTube videos by the way. This is my favourite episode and one of my favourite books.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Was watching FOHK last week; in a sequence where the children are creeping through the undergrowth spying on the bad guys Dick looks down to the ground at the very end of one of the shots, like his foot has been caught by a branch or he’s stepped into a pothole or similar. It did look like pretty hazardous terrain. Reminds me of a scene in Doctor Who (off topic!) where Elisabeth Sladen is all but slapped in the face by a branch that Tom Baker pushes past in a similar ‘walk through the bush’ scene.

And I’d not even seen the Five magically move backwards during the end titles until I started reading these forums! Apologies if this is old news to you.

Brett
FiveFanDownunder
number 6

Post by number 6 »

FiveFanDownunder wrote:And I’d not even seen the Five magically move backwards during the end titles until I started reading these forums! Apologies if this is old news to you.
No worries. Yes, you can just see the Children move slightly backwards, before going forward again. I've been to the Heath where they shot the end credits, and you can easily walk its length before the signature tune ends! Quite missable at first, until you watch very closely! A crafty bit of editing! :D