Faraway Tree Cartoon

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Amethyst
Favourite book/series: The Faraway Tree Series
Favourite character: Moonface

Faraway Tree Cartoon

Post by Amethyst »

I never knew they turned the Faraway Tree stories into a cartoon series!!! I found them on Youtube! At first I was quite excited to be able watch my favourite stories come to life.....but NO! just NO! :shock: I didn't like it :| The characters look weird and Silky is definitely not what I would have imagined her to look like in cartoon form :evil: Plus they don't even climb the tree! They have a sort of path and steps!! :evil: NO! not for me! :shock:
What do you guys think?? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Erg8_wRwo
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Faraway Tree Cartoon

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've never read any of these books, and so I don't know any of the characters, but looking at the cartoon I can see that it will appeal to kids of today, especially the younger ones like my grandchildren. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I've never read any of these books, and so I don't know any of the characters,
:shock: Julie! you are missing out on some of Enid Blyton's geatest creations. You must read these books immediately. I have adored those characters all my life, you won't regret picking them up. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I loved the books as a child, and still do actually. I bought the TV series on tape a few years ago - picked it up cheap in a charity shop. What a disappointment. I'm not sure I've actually been able to watch the whole thing all the way through. However my daughter used to love watching it when she was about 5, so I guess that's who it was aimed for.

I've also got The Wishing Chair on tape some where, but can't bring myself to watch it for fear it will be along similar lines to the Faraway Tree.

Julie - quick, get yourself copies of the books and read them to your grandchildren. Hopefully by sharing them with young children you will be able to appreciate these wonderful books. However, be warned, older versions contain a character called Dame Slap, who punishes children in the same way. In the tape she's called something different, (Dame Snap I think) and punishes the children with a BPTF (a Big Pink Tickling Feather). Much more 'PC', but I can't help thinking loses the point of the character.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think my grand-daughter has two of them anyway, but they are the updated versions. I may just give them a read. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

Definitely read them, they're are just brilliant! :D In my opinion anyway lol :mrgreen:
Lexie293
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Lexie293 »

I bought dvd a few years back. I thought it was okay and enjoyable enough. I guess when you've read the books time and time again over the years you develop your own version of the characters and how they look and stuff.

Actually I might have a go at drawing the characters how I've always imagined them. I've been thinking about a new art project to get my teeth into.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I like the DVD, as does my grandson! :D
Society Member
Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

Lexie293 wrote: Actually I might have a go at drawing the characters how I've always imagined them. I've been thinking about a new art project to get my teeth into.
Oooo that sounds interesting! I'm a bit of an art addict, would love to see them if and when you do them! :D
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I rather enjoyed the cartoon, but then, I usually enjoy cartoons. :)

I'd love to see your artwork too, Lexie!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I got the DVD for Christmas of The Faraway Tree cartoons. I haven't watched it yet, but I am looking forward too. Yes, you must read the Faraway Tree series, Julie, they are great books.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member