Various versions of 90s FF DVDs

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
carina

Various versions of 90s FF DVDs

Post by carina »

Hi there,

just received my 70s version of FF DVD box set from Amazon and am so excited to share these with my boys and hubby. Really impressed with the quality of the packaging and booklet...anyway it's prompted me to look for the 90s version on DVD as well. I never saw them when they came out, was living in Australia by then so not sure if they were broadcast here or not.

Now, I know from reading here that the Dutch version, De Vijf, doesn't have the Smugglers Top eps. There is also the German version, De Fem, and the Spanish version, Los Cinco...do these ones have all the eps or are they missing Smugglers Top as well?

thanks in advance
Carina.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Various versions of 90s FF DVDs

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi Carina,
I know that there is a German DVD with Smuggler's Top of the 90's series (no English dubbing or subtitles), and the Nordic "De Fem" (English with off-switchable subtitles) features all 26 episodes as well.
I don't know anything about the other editions you mentioned
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

If you want all 26 episodes of the 90s series then De Fem boxset is the one to get, and there are a two little extras on those disks as well.

I did buy the Dutch version and although the lack of Smuggler's top is disappointing as it is not mentioned anywhere on the seller's profiles about the dvd's. I found them good value and enjoy them because of the added epsiode of Five on a Secret trail which I found it hard to come by on video.

I suppose it will be a few more years before the 90s version recieves even half of the same treatment that the 70s version has. Though the 90s series never did have the cult status that the 70s did. However most people I have met (who are not Enid Blyton orientated) do remember one of the two series and a large number of my friends did watch the 90s version growing up.

Lord knows what kind of interest would have to be drummed up for an English boxset of the 90s series. :roll:

I live in hope however...
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
carina

Post by carina »

Thanks for that! I think I'll go ahead and order the De Fem set and hope I can navigate through the menus!
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Got some 90's famous five episodes on DVD. They are quite good actually. I was quite impressed!
(I am hoping to get the 70's DVD's)
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member