Scooby Doo = The Famous Five

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Katharine

Scooby Doo = The Famous Five

Post by Katharine »

Has anyone else ever noticed a resemblence between the programme Scooby Doo and The Famous Five?

Fred = Julian - both the leaders of their group
Shaggy = Dick - full of jokes and always eating
Daphne = Anne - typical girlie type, there mainly to make up the numbers
Velma = George - more practical and down to earth, not a 'typical' girl
Scooby = Timmy - eats a lot and comes to the rescue
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Scooby Doo = The Famous Five

Post by Daisy »

Not until you mentioned it...seems to be a good combination of characters for an adventurous group.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Yes Kathrine. :D I did mention it in a thread a while back.
I also recall Messers. Hannah & Barberra acknowledging that the were inspired by EB, but fell short of admitting plagarism. :lol: They did so on one the the magazine shows in the early eighties.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Katharine
Well spotted, is it just me or does Shaggy always appear to be stoned?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've never really thought about that before, but yes, I can see a resemblance. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

I think Timmy would be extremely offended to be compared with Scooby Doo. Or did I miss the frequent scenes where he jumped into George's arms, quivering with fear? :wink:
DSR
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I'd say that Velma doesn't have much in common with Enid Blyton's George, it's Velma with the brains; but if we take Voilier's George... maybe she was inspired by Scooby-Doo to create her figures :-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wayne Pyer wrote:Yes Kathrine. :D I did mention it in a thread a while back.
I also recall Messers. Hannah & Barberra acknowledging that the were inspired by EB, but fell short of admitting plagarism. :lol: They did so on one the the magazine shows in the early eighties.
That's interesting.
Wolfgang wrote:I'd say that Velma doesn't have much in common with Enid Blyton's George, it's Velma with the brains; but if we take Voilier's George... maybe she was inspired by Scooby-Doo to create her figures :-)
I agree that the Velma/George link is probably the weakest of them all. Although I wouldn't call George stupid, I don't think of her character as being particularly brainy. To me George's main characteristics are her temper, obstinacy, loyalty, courage and obsession with Timmy.
Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

dsr wrote:I think Timmy would be extremely offended to be compared with Scooby Doo. Or did I miss the frequent scenes where he jumped into George's arms, quivering with fear? :wink:
Remember the joke about how people were convinced Scooby was going to poo everywhere after jumping into Shaggy's arms?
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Would I be unpopular if I was to point out...

Scrappy-Doo = Jo - Fearless, looks a bit like one of the others, wasn't in it from the start
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't know, I don't hate Jo half as much as I do Scrappy-Doo. I have an irrational hatred of that annoying little creature.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Roc
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick Kirrin

Post by Roc »

Why does everyone hate Scrappy-Doo? And can i point out, I don't think Velma's dad in the new series resembles Uncle Quentin at all!
And also, all the boys fancy Daphne, nobody fancies Anne! She's just the annoying little sister!
But i agree that they are a lot alike!
Maybe there should be some book / telly special where they meet up and solve a mystery together.
Call me Roc or Lew.

"Pass me the tomatoes, Julian. Before you eat the whole lot!"
Dick, Five on a Secret Trail
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have always thought this, however Scooby-Doo is more ficional.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Scooby Doo and the Five, yes, there is a link - or had I better say, an highly sucessful concept copied and slightly varied.

Hannah Barbara definitely did more than adapting the Five for the US market of the 70s.
The used the basic and highly sucessful concept EB used in many of her well-liked series, be it the Five, the Adventure or Adventurous Four crews, Barney and his lot.
It's always four (if we count the FFOs in - five) children with certain characteristics which make each one resemble and/or stand for certain role models. And there is a just too good to be true pet, in the case of Loony and Scooby, well, that's to be taken tongue in cheek of course.
And just like EB herself didn't make all her foursomes exactly the same, we have the stereotypes usually ascribed to one kid. For example there usually is a strong leader: Julian, Barney and Fatty. In the Adventure series, the role is somewhat shared between Jack and Philip, each boy gets his chance to shine.
Julian is what you'd expect, in a way he's the most typical example: clearly middle-class background, protective and caring towards his little sister, though and determined where it's needed, planning and organizing matters for the others, virtually unchallenged for leadership, just the person to become an officer in the army.
Barney is quite similar, except for the fact that even though he is the poor circus boy, he quickly becomes the leader of his team. True, his real middle-class background begins to show and finally is completely developed, but he is in his way the more charming of the two.
Fatty, well Fatty. Remember Peter Ustinov starring Hercule Poirot? That's Fatty grown up.
With the Scooby mob, well, I think we could give the role to Fred, though Julian's brains are passed on to Velma.
The second usually fun-to-be-with boy which is my "alter ego" Dick, could be Snubby in the Barney crew and Philip in the Adventure series. Philip, however is different in one respect - he has that way with animals, whereas Snubby is more like Dick, but he has more of a temper towards him, so we have a touch of George in him, too.
The stereotypical girl is of course Anne. Dinah in the Barney series is slightly more grown-up, but Lucy-Ann does share more than just three letters in name with Anne. She is the youngest, weakest most feeble, but as for household chores, Dinah does her bit, too. Yet she has George's temper.

I could go on for a while, but I think these examples do to prove the point I'd like to make. The concept of having several stereotypes embedded in a group of characters with each standing for one of two, is such a success because we can always find someone we like most. We find a character and think: "Whoa, I'm like him/her, or at least I'd like to be!"
So we live through the story from our chosen characters point of view.

What that does is it makes us identify with both the character and the story or the plot. And we want to see or read more of it. Which is the main point for the people producing these series.

At last there is a very pragmatic reason. EB main characters are usually "heroes" with the suitable values, morals and attitudes. If an author combined his/her hero values and the lot in just one character, the readers/watchers would see just that: A person too good to be true and thus entirely unrealistic. Such a person is grand if it's a super-hero you want to create, but no reader could possibly identify himself or herself with such a person. So the commitment to the story and later the series is not that strong.

Just my two pennies worth of thought
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"