Famous Five Reunited - Online now!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
AndrewRead

Famous Five Reunited - Online now!

Post by AndrewRead »

For first time in over 30 years, Marcus Harris, Gary Russell, Jennifer Thanisch and Gail Renard are reunited for a broadcast interview. Hear it now at:

http://www.sunshinehospitalradio.co.uk/ ... united.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Famous Five Reunited - Online now!

Post by Red Tower »

Many thanks, Andrew.

Looking forward to listening to it, over the next couple of days.:D
Society Member
Yan

Post by Yan »

Dear Andrew,

thank you very much for posting this link. I enjoyed the interview very much. It’s amazing to listen to Marcus, Gary, Jennifer and Gail Renard talking about the FF-series. As I’m a kind of “die hard”-fan of the 70’s FF series, it was thrilling for me to hear the actor’s grown-up voices. They all seem to be very nice people. As I expected, Gary is the one who remembers the details best.

Although I already knew a lot of the backgrounds, there are still some informations in this interview which were completely new to me. For example I did not know the series had such a large budget. Or Jennifer isn’t actually sitting on a horse in the opening sequence. :mrgreen:

A little confusing to me was that you were talking about “two” series. I always thought it was one series consisting of two seasons - one shot in 1977, the other in 1978 (but of course that not important at all).

Very interesting is the fact that the series shortly are due for release as a dvd in the U.K. :D

I hope Marcus, Gary and Jennifer will make audio commentaries on this release (and maybe Julie Davis on “Five Fall into adventure”). Unfortunately, there are no audio commentaries on the German dvds.

And maybe some other of the former child guest actors can be found for a comment (e.g. Wayne Brooks who played “Tinker” in even two two-parters).

All the best,
Uwe from Germany
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Ah yes the old series/season terminology. We called them Series One and Series Two at the time. The concept of a TV show running as a "season" is an Americanism that didn't really take off here till the 90s.

So yes, it was one programme, but made in two series, in 77 and 78.

And I'm not holding my breath over a UK DVD...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Gary Russell wrote: And I'm not holding my breath over a UK DVD...
Speaking of holding one's breath, Gary; any news on your book yet?
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Glad you're enjoying the interview, which we had a blast making. Have a look on my website for a bit more info and a super photo:

http://www.gailrenard.com/famous-five-update.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I've learned if we don't pressure Gary about the book, it'll appear like magic... we hope!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

GailRenard wrote: And I've learned if we don't pressure Gary about the book, it'll appear like magic... we hope!
Let's hope I'll still be around to read it! :D
Society Member
AndrewRead

Post by AndrewRead »

I am told that the Famous Five Reunited programme has now been downloaded over 100 times including one listener in Nepal.

Thanks for all your interest.

It's still available so keep downloading!
Cameraman

Post by Cameraman »

A very good interview, and credit to all those who pulled it together. I was particularly interested to hear confirmation of the relatively high production budget for the series, which was my understanding of the 1970's series at the time.

It really was a top quality piece of family television which deserves to stand the test of time. If the remastered series was shown on TV now, i have no doubt that i would be very well received.
Cameraman

Post by Cameraman »

GailRenard wrote:
And I've learned if we don't pressure Gary about the book, it'll appear like magic... we hope!
Absolutely, good things come to those who wait.......if Gary's book is anything like his contribution to the Sunshine Hospital Radio interview then it is worth waiting for.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Gary Russell wrote:Ah yes the old series/season terminology. We called them Series One and Series Two at the time. The concept of a TV show running as a "season" is an Americanism that didn't really take off here till the 90s.
Okay, I will keep that in my mind and speak of the Series One and Series Two from now on.

Another subject in the interview is the difference between the British and the German episodes. In fact, some episodes of Series Two were a couple of minutes (not only a few seconds) shorter in Germany. For example, at the beginning of “Five go down to the sea” the complete sequence at Kirrin Station was left out (and nobody knows why). Other cuts probably were made because some scenes were considered to be too rude for children (then). For example, in “Five fall into adventure” the scenes with Markoff pointing his gun at the children, or George laying bound in the caravan, were cut.

And there is another interesting difference: The British version of “Five go to Demon´s Rocks” used a different shot of Jacob and Ebenizer Loomer sitting in the pub after Tinker’s monkey has found the gold coin. In the British version a total shot of them was used - while the German version used a different (quite shorter) take with close-up-shots, changing between Jacob and Ebenizer. As far as I know this was the only time in the two series that different film material was used in the U.K. and in Germany.

@ Gail:
Thanks for your link. And let me say thank you for your work on the FF-series. In the interview you said you tried to be as faithful to the books as possible but of course your adaption had to work for television. I think that´s why you put some different plots into some stories, especially in “Five run away together” (which is one of my favourite episodes nevertheless). I know there are people who do not like divergencies when a book is adapted for another medium. But I like those divergencies very much because a movie or a series which is nothing but a pedantic reproduction of a book is a little boring for me. So I love to find new details, ideas and surprises developed by the scriptwriter. In my view that´s what makes an adaptation movie (or series) something special and unique.
P.S. Your website is very interesting for me because I´m also a Beatlefan. I don´t want to go offtopic but - is it the original Sgt. Pepper´s bass drum (from the album´s cover) you are posing with on one photo?

Uwe from Germany
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Thanks, Uwe! Yes I always try to be careful when adapting a book for the screen. I always say it's like adopting a child. It's yours now and you have to make sure the relationship works and is happy, but you must also be respectful to its roots. In addition to what you pointed out, you must always remember that there are people who have never read or (sacrilege!) even heard of the original books. They're watching to see the best show ever and be entertained so you have to give them that.

And yes, in my photo, that was the original Sgt Pepper drumskin. It appeared on some of TV shows with me and if I could have taken it, I would have. It was beautiful!

For those who'd like to see what we're talking about:

http://www.gailrenard.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Holiday!
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Love the podcast. :) It's a great listen! :)

Great Site Gail! And now duly following you on Twitter! :)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
AndrewRead

Post by AndrewRead »

Over 300 downloads now of this programme in 33 countries. It has been featured in a number of West Country newspapers and been the subject of an interview on BBC Radios Cornwall, Devon, Jersey and Guernsey. Thanks for the support of all Famous Five fans worldwide. The programme remains available at http://www.sunshinehospitalradio.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;