New Zealand Adventure/Secret Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Adventure Series on DVD

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Aussie Sue wrote:ABC shops in Australia will send this DVD internationally. Here is the link to their online shop.
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.a ... tid=794032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
Aussie Sue
Good to see you posting, Sue, I wondered when you were going to appear! :lol: My problem with these DVDs is that I don't use a credit card and need to find somewhere or somebody who accepts PayPal.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony, I ordered my copy through ABC shop online paying via paypal.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm sure we have a video somewhere in the loft that we bought for Sarah when she was young. I think it must have been from this series, I remember, Brian Blessed being in it and the fox. Was that one Castle of Adventure?

8)
The one you are thinking of Julie, is a British based version from the 1980s where Susan George plays Allie and a Gareth hunt plays a Bond-like Bill. The one Tony is refering to is the 90s version filmed entirely in NZ with a mostly Australian/NZ cast with English actress Julie Peasgood playing Allie, the notable exception.
Hope this helps. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
dsr

Post by dsr »

Does anyone know if Australian DVDs play on UK players? Australia's region 4, Europe's region 2, but I can't see anywhere that says what region these DVDs are. They might be region 0, which would play in both countries.

[Edit] this site says it's region-free, so it should be OK. But it's out of stock here as well.

http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/enid-blyton-ad ... p/17502731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DSR
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thank you, Wayne. It must be that one then. I wonder why they don't bring those out on DVD then if they were British made?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Now you have wetted my appetite, Julie. :)
Would it be too much to ask you for a short review on the video. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to know how well it would perform against the 90s version which I consider quite good. If only they made a Famous Five series with episodes of the same length (90 min)!

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I can't remember too much about the video, Dick. I do remember that Brian Blessed was the villian, and that Tassy in the video lived in a caravan in the woods. I vaguely remember Susan George being Aunt Allie, but can't remember anything of Gareth Hunt, playing Bill.

It must have been good though, as like the 78 series of Famous Five, Sarah watched them constantly, so much so that she could narrate the script almost word for word. I know that doesn't help much, but for me, any video or DVD of anything Blyton is worth possessing. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks, Julie. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to pick up a copy one day. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I can't remember too much about the video, Dick. I do remember that Brian Blessed was the villian, and that Tassy in the video lived in a caravan in the woods. I vaguely remember Susan George being Aunt Allie, but can't remember anything of Gareth Hunt, playing Bill.

8)
Didn't we see a clip of that one at an EBS Day a few years ago? I remember wishing there had been time to see more of it. I do like Brian Blessed. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Thanks, Julie. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to pick up a copy one day. :D

Dick Kirrin
The Castle of Adventure does come up on ebay occasionally. Only on video, of course, not DVD.
DSR
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It was a one off, Julie, not part of a series. The VHS copy you have will be heavily abridged. The programme, as shown on ITV, lasted several hours - 4+ if my memory sever me right? We all thoroughly enjoyed it, and Brian Blessed's Sam was an inspiration! Susan George was an excellen Allie, however I didn't like Gareth Hunt's Bill.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Just adding to my original post, the kind New Zealander who told me about these DVDs emailed Umbrella and asked if they were going to put the Secret Series on DVD as well (these were never released as videos). Umbrella replied that they hoped to do so at some stage in the future.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Just adding to my original post, the kind New Zealander who told me about these DVDs emailed Umbrella and asked if they were going to put the Secret Series on DVD as well (these were never released as videos). Umbrella replied that they hoped to do so at some stage in the future.
Hi Tony,
this is not entirely true - there's a German DVD edition with all 5 adventures, unfortunately without English track :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

German Blyton fans always seem to get a much better deal than English ones, Wofgang, so I am not surprised. :lol: Presumably they were dubbed into German as the original are of course in English - with a strong Kiwi accent! The Secret series always brings a smile to my face as 'Peggy' when it has a touch of Kiwi applied always comes out as 'Piggy'! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:...'Peggy' when it has a touch of Kiwi applied always comes out as 'Piggy'! :lol:
Which obviously influenced William Golding when he wrote Lord of the Flies. :wink: :wink: :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member