RE : Famous Five Paperback Books - 70's TV Series Covers

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Midnight-Visitor

RE : Famous Five Paperback Books - 70's TV Series Covers

Post by Midnight-Visitor »

Hi everyone,

I'm lucky enough to own a full set of the 21 Famous Five Knight Paperback Books with the photos on the covers from the 70's TV Series.

I've often wondered why the photo's on the covers of each book aren't necessary from that particular TV Episode dedicated to the book.

I'll try to explain a little.

FIVE ON A TREASURE ISLAND - Due to an existing movie there was no Episode made for this book, The cover photo has been taken from the Five Go to Mystery Moor TV Episode.

FIVE GO ADVENTURING AGAIN - Although an actual episode of this book was produced in the series, the cover photo is once again from Five Go to Mystery Moor.

FIVE RUN AWAY TOGETHER - They got it right this time - the cover photo is in fact from the TV Episode of Five Run Away Together.

FIVE GO TO SMUGGLERS TOP - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE GO OFF IN A CARAVAN - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE ON KIRRIN ISLAND AGAIN - No episode was made for this book. The cover photo shown I *think* is from Five Run Away Together.

FIVE GO OFF TO CAMP - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE GET INTO TROUBLE - Cover Photo is Taken from the Episode of Five On a Hike Together when they are at "Two Trees" House.

FIVE FALL INTO ADVENTURE - I think this photo was taken from the TV Episode of the same name.

FIVE ON A HIKE TOGETHER - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME - Book cover photo taken from Five go off in a Caravan TV Episode.

FIVE GO DOWN TO THE SEA - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE GO TO MYSTERY MOOR - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE HAVE PLENTY OF FUN - No Episode made for this Book, Photo used on the cover is taken from Five go to Kirrin Island.

FIVE ON A SECRET TRAIL - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE GO TO BILLYCOCK HILL - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE GET INTO A FIX - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE ON FINNISTON FARM - Cover photo shows the Five on a Farm, but it's not Finniston :o It's a Pic taken from Jock's Farm in the Five go off to Camp Episode.

FIVE GO TO DEMONS ROCKS - Cover Photo taken from the Series Episode produced for this actual book.

FIVE HAVE A MYSTERY TO SOLVE - Again no Episode was made. The cover photo for this book was taken from the Five go on a Hike Episode.

FIVE ARE TOGETHER AGAIN - Cover Photo taken from the Five go off in a Caravan Episode when they are getting off the Bus and Anne sings out "Nobby".

I guess it's not so much of a big deal, but it's always puzzled me as to the choice of some of the photos used for the book covers. Maybe some other fans can perhaps shed some light on this?

Cheers :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: RE : Famous Five Paperback Books - 70's TV Series Covers

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Midnight-Visitor!
Midnight-Visitor wrote:FIVE ON KIRRIN ISLAND AGAIN - No episode was made for this book. The cover photo shown I *think* is from Five Run Away Together.
That story was filmed but it was called Five on Kirrin Island and showed the Five meeting for the first time (because Southern TV were not allowed to make Five on a Treasure Island as you pointed out).
Midnight-Visitor wrote:I guess it's not so much of a big deal, but it's always puzzled me as to the choice of some of the photos used for the book covers.
Perhaps they just chose some of the most attractive stills and didn't worry about taking images from a different episode if they couldn't find what they were looking for? Pictures showing all the Five together would have been particularly apt.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Hello and welcome Midnight-Visitor. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

Post by Nepolean »

Hi Midnight-Visitor,

Welcome! :)

I live in Chennai, India and in my area there are a lot of second hand book shops where I have seen these Famous Five paperbacks with the 70's TV series cover. I have also seen a lot of rare books turn up at these shops. I bought the Nature Lover's books 1,2 and 3 that were printed in 1971 and also a collection of the Famous Five short stories in one of the shops.
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, Midnight-Visitor! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Many thanks for that, I have to confess and say I'd never really noticed. The 70's TV covers are amongst may favourite covers, only bettered by the illustrated ones in the 1983 run.

I think we can all agree that even though the publishers got some of the pictures incorrect they did at least try to make them relevant to the story. The same can't be said for covers that accompanied the TV series in the 90's where it seemed that any group shot of the five sufficed!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nick wrote: I think we can all agree that even though the publishers got some of the pictures incorrect they did at least try to make them relevant to the story.
What a pity they didn't make the script of Five Run Away Together, relevant to the story! :shock:
Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Hi, Midnight-Visitor, welcome to the forums! :D
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Midnight-Visitor

Hi Everyone! :o

Thank you so much for your warm and friendly welcome to these message boards!

I look forward to participating in the not too distant future with most of you.
:D :D :D
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Welcome Midnight-Visitor!
Great way of introducing yourself. :D
I love the 70s paperbacks with the photos for covers, too. My guess would simply be that they didn't have a photographer making stills booked on every episode they made. They did their publicity shots and sometimes had a photographer present, so Gary told us.
That means that Knight simply had to make do with what they could get. Besides I somehow doubt it that the people selecting the cover photos did always bother to read the book carefully.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Midnight-Visitor

Hey Dick :D 8)

I have a feeling you may be correct. I've also noticed there are far fewer photo stills floating around from the 2nd (1978) series than the 1st (1977).

I've also just realised that Dick/Gary holds the honourable title of being the only member of the Five to appear on all 21 covers of the Knight Paperback TV covers. :D

I think George/Michelle appears on the least amount, not appearing on "Treasure Island" "Adventuring Again" and "Mystery Moor".

Although I'd say Timmy appears on even less?
:)
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I've also just realised that Dick/Gary holds the honourable title of being the only member of the Five to appear on all 21 covers of the Knight Paperback TV covers. :D
And he once wrote he hated to have his picture taken... . :D
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Great post, myself and my sisters often mused over the mismatched photos on the books back when we were reading them first in the 70's and early 80's!
Nice to get the breakdown here in this post!!
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Hello !!
Thanx for the interesting information on the first Tv series covers .

I guess one of the reasons for mismatch would be to bring a certain level of randomness and dynamism to the entire collection .

All of them seem quite well done .It would be rather plain to have all 5 posing as models for the covers .

Id like to highlight that Ive always doubted whether the cover to the 6th title -Five on kirrin island again really has the real TV series characters - On careful observation ,apart from Gary russel ,the others look so different than they usually appear .Julian's head seems to be larger and with more hair . Jennifer has longer hair and looks taller . George looks quite elder and mature by built .

I presume they may be duplicates or stand ins for the original actors .
I may be wrong ,not sure ..Does anybody else feel that way as well.

Also Iam a little clueless as to what the shape at the bottom is - a part of the boat ?

Overall I feel the covers have been the best compared to The Secret 7 series and far better than the 90's five findouters that look totally artificial somehow
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

aminmec wrote:Ive always doubted whether the cover to the 6th title -Five on kirrin island again really has the real TV series characters...
They look like the real actors to me. I think it's just that the picture has been taken at a slightly odd angle to include the boat at the front and the cliff going up behind the children.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member